BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brexit

16 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Now that bright, cheery and helpful Vlad and Magda have packed up and gone home in disgust we can look forward to surly Simon with his legendary British service ethic who reluctantly sets food in front of me on condition it is understood that he is doing me a favour.

😂😂

Nothing like a huge generalisation to help prove a point eh.

Tosh, tosh and more tosh

British people can now add terrible waiting skills to all the other poor traits Jim believes we have. Projection maybe? 

Today’s “ Sunday Observer “ leader is absolutely coruscating regard Johnson. I can’t ever recall a previous Prime Minister getting such a tremendous slagging off by a serious newspaper.

Andrew Rawnsley is equally good on the opposing page -

“ As in the Dyson case, the suspension of the normal rules has been repeatedly justified by ministers on the grounds that the pandemic created an urgent need to secure critical equipment. Yet we are now learning that the “ VIP Lane “ had the opposite effect. It didn’t lubricate the swift delivery of vital supplies - it gummed up the pipeline.

Evidence in a case brought by the Good Law Project being heard in the High Court has turned up an email from an official tasked with sourcing protective equipment. The unnamed civil servant complains that officials were “ drowning in VIP requests and high priority contacts “ that “ do not hold the right certification or do not pass due diligence “. 

Far from expediting the supply of desperately needed equipment, the reserved lane for Tory mates undermined that life or death endeavour “.

” A culture of impunity in which unethical behaviour, however outrageous, never goes punished, is pretty much a guarantee of even worse to come in the future. I cannot tell how the Johnson government will end or when, but it will surely not be a happily ever after. Sleaze may not catch up with the Tories tomorrow or next week or next month or even next year, but there will be a day of reckoning.

To paraphrase Ernest Hemingway, “ governments become bankrupt in the eyes of the voters gradually, then suddenly. “

42 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Today’s “ Sunday Observer “ leader is absolutely coruscating regard Johnson. I can’t ever recall a previous Prime Minister getting such a tremendous slagging off by a serious newspaper.

Andrew Rawnsley is equally good on the opposing page -

“ As in the Dyson case, the suspension of the normal rules has been repeatedly justified by ministers on the grounds that the pandemic created an urgent need to secure critical equipment. Yet we are now learning that the “ VIP Lane “ had the opposite effect. It didn’t lubricate the swift delivery of vital supplies - it gummed up the pipeline.

Evidence in a case brought by the Good Law Project being heard in the High Court has turned up an email from an official tasked with sourcing protective equipment. The unnamed civil servant complains that officials were “ drowning in VIP requests and high priority contacts “ that “ do not hold the right certification or do not pass due diligence “. 

Far from expediting the supply of desperately needed equipment, the reserved lane for Tory mates undermined that life or death endeavour “.

” A culture of impunity in which unethical behaviour, however outrageous, never goes punished, is pretty much a guarantee of even worse to come in the future. I cannot tell how the Johnson government will end or when, but it will surely not be a happily ever after. Sleaze may not catch up with the Tories tomorrow or next week or next month or even next year, but there will be a day of reckoning.

To paraphrase Ernest Hemingway, “ governments become bankrupt in the eyes of the voters gradually, then suddenly. “

Guardian makes the point that if urgency is the reason for the way vital equipment was procured how come there was no urgency about closing borders or announcing lockdowns at key times?

Good point I think.

10 minutes ago, den said:

The texts between Johnson and Dyson weren’t about the supply of ventilators as the stories would have us all believe. They were about taxation for Dysons employees.

Wrong thread I think Den

You're right about Dyson though

Texting the PM to change tax rules, who responds saying "I'll fix it", is a lot more than low-level sleaze

Nobody should be able to text the PM and get tax rules "fixed".

It's outright corruption

FISHING UPDATE

Its been announced today that talks with Norway over fishing rights have been abandoned without agreement.

Given that talks with Greenland and the Faroe Islands have also failed, UK fishermen are barred from from northern cod fishing grounds which we have been fishing for centuries!

The Kirkella, a multi million pound large trawler operating out of Hull will effectively be moth-balled indefinitely adding to unemployment figures in an already disadvantaged area.

Don't worry, we will still be able to eat that cod, it will just be fished and sold to us by the Norwegians who are free to export their catch under Johnson's "fantastic" agreement.

An interesting confirmation of all this comes from an article published in the Express!

BREXIT---the gift that keeps on giving.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1429840/brexit-news-fishing-eu-news-kirkella-uk-fisheries-hull-cod-norway-distant-fishing

Edited by 47er

So no market for the fish we catch but don't eat and now it's harder to get the fish we actually do eat. Chippy dinner is about to get a lot more expensive, or just stick to pudding, chips, peas and gravy, I'm sure chaddy doesn't eat any of that foreign cod anyway so it doesn't matter.

Edited by Jimbo

23 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

So no market for the fish we catch but don't eat and now it's harder to get the fish we actually do eat. Chippy dinner is about to get a lot more expensive, or just stick to pudding, chips, peas and gravy, I'm sure chaddy doesn't eat any of that foreign cod anyway so it doesn't matter.

I forgot to say that this will have profound consequences for Scottish fishermen who are already saying they've been betrayed. You would think we wanted Scotland to go it alone wouldn't you?

40 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Sadly, you have to come to the conclusion that fishermen were not very bright to believe in Boris Johnson.  

You get what you vote for.  

Stop complaining.

I'm not sure to whom this is addressed Jim?

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

I'm not sure to whom this is addressed Jim?

Fishermen and anyone who voted for Brexit but then moan when they feel let down by the government when it was obvious they were being lied to

The chief executive of U.K. Fisheries is just saying that Norway wanted a deal that also involved Norway fishing in U.K. waters, but DEFRA turned that down. 
In her view, U.K. jobs have been sacrificed for the benefit of the rich fishing barons in Scotland. 

“the value of the catch from Norwegian waters is quite astronomical”.

Rich fishing barons.... where have I heard them being discussed before?

“Talks with the Faroes finished up in a similar vein and DEFRA didn’t even bother to start negotiations with Greenland, so the first year as an independant coastal state isn’t going quite as anyone imagined.”

So just to be clear. Brexit has caused the loss of valuable fishing rights in northern waters.

Edited by den

31 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

As were the Northern Irish that were taken in.

As were everybody who voted Leave! Because all these disasters affect everybody else in the end.

UK is a diminished country as a result of Brexit.

NI voted Remain by the way.

Now you're all interested in fishing! The hypocrisy of it.

When I was pointing out the plight of our fishermen you couldn't care less, irrelevant, worthless industry you told me, now you're all up in arms.

Laughable.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Now you're all interested in fishing! The hypocrisy of it.

When I was pointing out the plight of our fishermen you couldn't care less, irrelevant, worthless industry you told me, now you're all up in arms.

Laughable.

You held up taking back control of our waters as the great flag bearer of brexit.  It was a far bigger industry than remainers thought it was you said. It was going to become a huge employer you said Gav. It would grow massively, - back to its halcyon days. 

When  it was pointed out to you repeatedly that the U.K. fleet was run by a small group of very rich businessmen you ignored it. You argued that U.K. fishermen would take the fishing rights of the EU fishermen. You were told they couldn’t. Bunkum you said.

Now that IS laughable.

Well actually, it’s not laughable. The U.K. fishing reps aren’t laughing. They are desperately disappointed. However, they fell for the governments brexit lies, just as you did? Yes?

Edited by den

34 minutes ago, den said:

You held up taking back control of our waters as the great flag bearer of brexit.  It was a far bigger industry than remainers thought it was you said. It was going to become a huge employer you said Gav. It would grow massively, - back to its halcyon days. 

When  it was pointed out to you repeatedly that the U.K. fleet was run by a small group of very rich businessmen you ignored it. You argued that U.K. fishermen would take the fishing rights of the EU fishermen. You were told they couldn’t. Bunkum you said.

Now that IS laughable.

Well actually, it’s not laughable. The U.K. fishing reps aren’t laughing. They are desperately disappointed. However, they fell for the governments brexit lies, just as you did? Yes?

You told me fishing was irrelevant, I was the only one supporting fishermen and the fishing industry.

Hypocrisy of the highest order and no amount of whataboutery will change that den.