Brexit

1 hour ago, Gav said:

You told me fishing was irrelevant, I was the only one supporting fishermen and the fishing industry.

Hypocrisy of the highest order and no amount of whataboutery will change that den.

🙂   I notice you made no comment about the position the U.K.’s  fishing industry has been left in because of Brexit Gav. 

Should I take it that you and every other Brexiteer read that situation very badly? 

1 hour ago, den said:

🙂   I notice you made no comment about the position the U.K.’s  fishing industry has been left in because of Brexit Gav. 

Should I take it that you and every other Brexiteer read that situation very badly? 

I never voted leave den.

I was the only poster supporting our brave fishermen and fishing communities around UK.

You couldn't give a stuff about them, admit it.

Edited by Gav

2 hours ago, Gav said:

I never voted leave den.

I was the only poster supporting our brave fishermen and fishing communities around UK.

You couldn't give a stuff about them, admit it.

You were the one who was the most deluded about fishermen Gav. I told you many times that the Conservatives did not care about Britain's fishermen and had no plans to help them.

I have also kept you up to date on how they are actually worse off as a result of Brexit, whereupon you seem to have lost interest.

They were deceived and betrayed and are saying so with no acknowledgement from you.

The UK fishing industry is "paved with gold", he said, because it was going to be so lucrative, he said, and it was destined to be a HUGE employer post-Brexit, he said, because it was being held back by those nasty Europeans, he said, and we were going to get a great fishing deal, he said, because it was so important, he said, and they needed our fish more than we needed their fish, he said, while more sane voices pointed out it was all "bunkum" because there aren't many upsides to Brexit, least of all in fishing, because to paraphrase Rees Mogg, the fish themselves are happy to be European, and don't want to be British, and it's the happiness of the fish that the Tories care about because fish happiness is the fish equivalent of sovereignty.

Paved with gold

Laughable

Posted (edited)

Hypocrisy and opportunism at its worst, the sort of behaviour that wouldn't be out of place in Number 10 at the moment.

They spend months telling us fishing is irrelevant, not worth the effort, its all the fishermans fault, sod the local communities as long as our avocado prices don't increase, we don't care.

Now they're championing the fisherman, I'll let the board judge who has been left floundering.

Edited by Gav

52 minutes ago, Gav said:

Hypocrisy and opportunism at its worst, the sort of behaviour that wouldn't be out of place in Number 10 at the moment.

They spend months telling us fishing is irrelevant, not worth the effort, its all the fishermans fault, sod the local communities as long as our avocado prices don't increase, we don't care.

Now they're championing the fisherman, I'll let the board judge who has been left floundering.

You're making it up ----again. I never said any of that.

What I did say was that the Tories did not care about fishermen and had never cared and they were using an emotional issue to gain/consolidate support from gullible people for Brexit. Using people is not out of place at No 10 eh?

I told you over again that the Tories would not create a better environment for Britain's fishermen and I told you why.

You insisted that the plight of fishermen was a vital issue that would be addressed by Brexit.

You were wrong, wrong wrong and haven't the guts to admit it. I've posted loads of stuff over months that should have told you that Britain's fishermen were worse off after Brexit and you never once responded.

Can only assume that you don't care about them either.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Gav said:

I'll be honest, that's not how I read ANY of the conversation on fishing. I always thought the insistence was:

1. That this Government don't care about fishing, rather than the posters concerned.

2. That fishing is small fry compared to the wider impact of Brexit.

Imo, both correct. Admittedly I might have missed something, there's a lot of crap posted on these pages too (not absolving myself of that one)!

Old Swampy's missing the point as usual

The point always was that the fishermen, like Northern Ireland, were always going to be collateral damage in the determination of the Tory party, aka the English Nationalist Party, to "Get Brexit Done". 

Anyone or anything that got in the way of delivering on the ENP's election pledge and pleasing its base in the red wall towns were going to be thrown under the Brexit bus.

Even Arlene Foster made the mistake of trusting Boris Johnson - and has paid the political price.

The question is why they couldn't see it coming. It was so obvious. 

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Old Swampy's missing the point as usual

The point always was that the fishermen, like Northern Ireland, were always going to be collateral damage in the determination of the Tory party, aka the English Nationalist Party, to "Get Brexit Done". 

Anyone or anything that got in the way of delivering on the ENP's election pledge and pleasing its base in the red wall towns were going to be thrown under the Brexit bus.

Even Arlene Foster made the mistake of trusting Boris Johnson - and has paid the political price.

The question is why they couldn't see it coming. It was so obvious. 

They were blind to it because of one, overall appealing factor. I don’t need to say what it is.

On 18/12/2020 at 06:27, philipl said:

Fishing is so utterly irrelevant.

On 15/01/2021 at 22:46, 47er said:

So fishing isn't important then? That's what we always said.

On 02/06/2020 at 23:17, jim mk2 said:

The absurdity of using the totally irrelevant fishing industry.

On 07/11/2020 at 10:40, den said:

I told you before Gav, Harrods store in London is a bigger industry than fishing. 

Fishing is a non entity.

Codswallop. 

34 minutes ago, Gav said:

Codswallop. 

Fishing was front and centre piece of the brexit campaign Gav - and you latched onto it.

Now it’s shown to be a big lie that’s cost many people their job, neither you or the govt are prepared to acknowlege it or own up to it.

Posted (edited)

Gav, you have taken my quote out of context, I won't speak for the rest.

My point was that to hold up and possibly sacrifice an agreement with the EU over fishing was ludicrous and hypocritical because the Tory government never had any intention of helping British fishermen.

It was used as an emotional appeal to Brexiteers while leaving the fishermen literally up the creek.

And everything I said at the time has come true while nothing you said on the matter has.

Edited by 47er

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gav said:

In the overall context of the economy, at less than 1% of GDP, it is irrelevant, and always will be

As for the ENP, they couldn't care less, least of all for the Scottish fishermen.

You still don't get it

Edited by jim mk2

UK accused of reneging on sustainable fishing pledge

https://www.ft.com/content/02fa9714-b766-4db0-a13a-ab64d9d6127e

The fishermen wanted Brexit and found to their surprise that it was a disaster for them.  Now they want to take excessive amounts of fish to compensate and destroy the very thing their livelihood depends on!

You have to question the intelligence of these people. 

You have to admire the French.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57003069

If they feel they've been wronged, they get on the streets and protest (gilets jaune) or their fishermen get in their boats and take action

Our supine working class have a moan then go back to the pub and vote Tory when the next election comes around

As for the Jersey dispute, come on France and and carry out your threat to cut off the electricity to the tax evaders and dodgy accountants

Exodus of EU truckers leaves UK hauliers facing acute driver shortages

https://www.ft.com/content/4d6b3be1-627e-4784-afc5-91da326cabdc

Another Brexit dividend (not).....or you could look at it another way and see it a chance for British drivers to push for higher wages, which some of them are doing.

I'd like to know which way the haulage bosses voted in 2016, and why they didn't see this as another inevitable fallout from leaving the EU

https://www.politico.eu/article/michel-barnier-french-borders-shut-pledge/

Quite the turn up eh.

This is a man who represented the EU. We were told the abolition of freedom of movement was a backward, insular step and that the UK was inherently bad for proposing it. People fell for this man and his deceit.

Quoted way back in 2016 with:

"The single market and its four freedoms are indivisible" 

Is it Barnier's turn to "have his cake and eat it"? 

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

https://www.politico.eu/article/michel-barnier-french-borders-shut-pledge/

We were told the abolition of freedom of movement was a backward, insular step and that the UK was inherently bad for proposing it. People fell for this man and his deceit.

Quoted way back in 2016 with:

"The single market and its four freedoms are indivisible" 

Is it Barnier's turn to "have his cake and eat it"? 

You've lost me. He's still committed to free movement within the EU isn't he? Never supported free movement from outside the EU did he?

Am I missing something here?

3 hours ago, 47er said:

You've lost me. He's still committed to free movement within the EU isn't he? Never supported free movement from outside the EU did he?

Am I missing something here?

I think you are, yes.

Direct quote taken from article:

Barnier advocating complete cessation of immigration for 3-5 years + suspension of Schengen. Ironic, because if the EU had allowed much milder restrictions on free movement of people, Brexit would probably never have happened. (And yes I know he probably means non-EU immigration),” tweeted Financial Times commentator Gideon Rachman.

These are direct quotes from Barnier himself:

“We need to take stock of the situation, stop family reunions,” he said. “We need to look at the way we give residency permits, health-related permits and the way we use the resources of our [benefits agency].”

Looks like he wants to cease immigration for at least 3 years and even wants to “stop family reunions”. How barbaric. 

Maybe they are no different to our politicians at all....who would have thought it?!?!?!?

Now then. Wasn’t I saying the other day that Labour should be attacking the government over their brexit lies?

Rachel Reeves did just that in the commons today. She said govt has no vision to help manufacturers, cultural industry, farmers + fishermen all "suffering because of huge gaps in this govt's deal with our European neighbours".

About time. Is this the start of a tactical switch in the wake of last week’s election results?

I hope so.

8 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think you are, yes.

Direct quote taken from article:

Barnier advocating complete cessation of immigration for 3-5 years + suspension of Schengen. Ironic, because if the EU had allowed much milder restrictions on free movement of people, Brexit would probably never have happened. (And yes I know he probably means non-EU immigration),” tweeted Financial Times commentator Gideon Rachman.

These are direct quotes from Barnier himself:

“We need to take stock of the situation, stop family reunions,” he said. “We need to look at the way we give residency permits, health-related permits and the way we use the resources of our [benefits agency].”

Looks like he wants to cease immigration for at least 3 years and even wants to “stop family reunions”. How barbaric. 

Maybe they are no different to our politicians at all....who would have thought it?!?!?!?

The truth is they are no different than our politicians----some good some bad.

But you were accusing him of hypocrisy about freedom of movement. Since he does and and always has supported freedom of movement within the EU He's not guilty of that is he?

I'm quite prepared to believe his attitude towards immigration from outside the EU is as bad as Pritti Patel's and Theresa May before her for that matter.

Footnote, we didn't need to take in as many from the EU as we did. That was a blunder from Tony Blair who accepted Treasury's advice that we faced a growing Labour shortage. All this has been discussed here before.

11 hours ago, den said:

Now then. Wasn’t I saying the other day that Labour should be attacking the government over their brexit lies?

Rachel Reeves did just that in the commons today. She said govt has no vision to help manufacturers, cultural industry, farmers + fishermen all "suffering because of huge gaps in this govt's deal with our European neighbours".

About time. Is this the start of a tactical switch in the wake of last week’s election results?

I hope so.

A good view on this and a few facts that might go over Tory HQ 's head

Rachel Reeves Ditches Labour’s ‘Don’t Mention The War’ Approach To Brexit

7 hours ago, 47er said:

The truth is they are no different than our politicians----some good some bad.

But you were accusing him of hypocrisy about freedom of movement. Since he does and and always has supported freedom of movement within the EU He's not guilty of that is he?

He is no longer supporting freedom of movement within the EU. So he is a hypocrite.