BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brexit

On 21/09/2021 at 11:12, Ewood Ace said:

Reading some of the posts on this thread I feel like I'm living in a parallel universe. I keep reading about empty shelves I did the shopping this week and saw no such thing. I did an online shop for my father from a separate super market again with no issues at all.
I'm reading about no flu jabs I had mine over a week ago, as did my father and the wife is booked in for hers this week. And now I read about saving £21,000 a year on fuel, who on earth is spending that a year on fuel?

Can I just say, my husband rang when we got back from France to book our flu jabs and was told there were none available at our surgery but we should ring back this week when they hoped to have some. And supermarkets here in Clitheroe have some reduced availability of things like cereal.

2 hours ago, gumboots said:

Can I just say, my husband rang when we got back from France to book our flu jabs and was told there were none available at our surgery but we should ring back this week when they hoped to have some. And supermarkets here in Clitheroe have some reduced availability of things like cereal.

That pretty much sums up my view too. I have mentioned before that my wife’s old practice had to postpone this Saturday’s flu clinic as they could not guarantee delivery of the vaccine. There are certainly some gaps in pretty much every shop I have been in to recently, although it’s a relatively small number.

But conversely we are both having our Covid booster jabs on Saturday.

I was due to see my urologist at Fairfield in Bury tomorrow. About a week ago I got a letter cancelling that appointment and making me another appointment for January 14th 2022. Today I got another letter cancelling that appointment and telling they’d let me know when they could make me another one. 

Make of that what you will.

On 21/09/2021 at 01:28, Dreyski said:

Most think Brexit deal has created more problems than it has solved 

Along with recommendations to improve matters.

Full disclosure - Best for Britain campaigns for internationalism and better relations with the EU.

We should rejoin the single market.

As it is, we have an enormous shortage of workers and are looking to bring in "short-time" visa workers to save the day! Forecast on here months ago.

The exact opposite of what was promised!

Edited by 47er

Government considering temporarily allowing foreign drivers back into the UK to help with goods/petrol deliveries caused by brexit and the pandemic.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

we were going to be better off after brexit weren’t we?

Brexit is turning out to be far worse than Project fear ever said it would be.

2 hours ago, den said:

Government considering temporarily allowing foreign drivers back into the UK to help with goods/petrol deliveries caused by brexit and the pandemic.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

we were going to be better off after brexit weren’t we?

Brexit is turning out to be far worse than Project fear ever said it would be.

Well these foriegn drivers weren't ever asked to leave or told to. It's was their choice. Over 5 million people have applied for settlement scheme. 

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well these foriegn drivers weren't ever asked to leave or told to. It's was their choice. Over 5 million people have applied for settlement scheme. 

Brexit was all about getting rid of foreign workers. Lorry drivers, because of the new rules dont meet the skills threshold to qualify for work visas in the UK under the government’s new points-based system.

you know what? Remainers argued all along brexit would mean a shortage of EU workers and that would cause problems for U.K. businesses.

Didnt take long did it?

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Some left because of the changes to the UK tax system chaddy and we know we have posters of this side of the forum who firmly believe in the importance of paying your fair share of tax, which some foreign lorry drivers had not been doing.

But actually, its down to Covid not Brexit.

Edited by Gav

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yeah Chaddy, but the 5 million two hundred and fiftieth person ran to The Guardian because she filled out the application on deadline day, so that makes the whole operation null and void.

Try and keep up. 

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

If only some sort of trans-European organisation existed that could ease the movement of workers and help circumvent all this meddlesome bureaucracy.

Perhaps we should start one.

How very droll. 

Would work as a gag too if pretty much the whole EU wasn't suffering the same shortages.

Those pesky facts eh, always getting in the way of a good moan. 

• Backroom
33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not how they've told me. They feel as if half the country told them to 'fuck off home'. And that's just the drivers that worked for us.

We've always paid them as employees, and above market rate so money was never the issue for those that have left us.

Edited by Mike E

13 minutes ago, Silas said:

How very droll. 

Would work as a gag too if pretty much the whole EU wasn't suffering the same shortages.

Those pesky facts eh, always getting in the way of a good moan. 

A Brexiteer friend pre-2016 told me he'd rather be poor(er) than belong to the EU, but it was all part of Project Fear

He's not too happy with the reality

Just to clear up: are blue passports, the abolition of the metric system and the happy British fish all we're getting out of Brexit?

Because, the way I see it:

1) The extra £350m a week for the NHS is not coming out of EU membership savings, but extra taxes

2) The new trade deals (the important ones, at least) are not happening

3) We're going to still need the immigrants

4) Exports to the EU are in tatters

So, a question…

If we can temporarily suspend freedom of movement hoping that EU drivers come back (and why would they when the govt are telling them they can only come for a matter of months then go back home), why can’t we do the same for other sectors such as social care?

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

3) We're going to still need the immigrants

See, I was going to say no-one ever said we didn't. 

But, i suppose, in truth, some did. There was Farage's repulsive poster etc. I'm sure some morons thought it. But, as I've said before, I believe that group is a minority in Brexit voters.

No sensible, non racist Brexit voter (yeah, yeah do your own gags!) ever wanted to stop immigration. It's not even a feasible concept.

Just odd that it comes up so much to me. 

2 hours ago, den said:

Brexit was all about getting rid of foreign workers. Lorry drivers, because of the new rules dont meet the skills threshold to qualify for work visas in the UK under the government’s new points-based system.

you know what? Remainers argued all along brexit would mean a shortage of EU workers and that would cause problems for U.K. businesses.

Didnt take long did it?

They didn't need to meet the point based system but just apply the Settlement scheme. We have some foriegn staff at my workplace and they all applied for the scheme and not left the UK cos of Brexit. 

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Not how they've told me. They feel as if half the country told them to 'fuck off home'. And that's just the drivers that worked for us.

We've always paid them as employees, and above market rate so money was never the issue for those that have left us.

Well we have some foriegn staff at my workplace who are Good people and never left to back home. 

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

They didn't need to meet the point based system but just apply the Settlement scheme. We have some foriegn staff at my workplace and they all applied for the scheme and not left the UK cos of Brexit. 

Thats our experience too chaddy.

On a different note, shopping delivery today, only item missing - Cono Sur Pinot Noir 75cl and we did a big shop today!

I believe that group is a minority in Brexit voters.

And I believe it isn't.

8 hours ago, den said:

So, a question…

If we can temporarily suspend freedom of movement hoping that EU drivers come back (and why would they when the govt are telling them they can only come for a matter of months then go back home), why can’t we do the same for other sectors such as social care?

7 hours ago, Silas said:

See, I was going to say no-one ever said we didn't. 

But, i suppose, in truth, some did. There was Farage's repulsive poster etc. I'm sure some morons thought it. But, as I've said before, I believe that group is a minority in Brexit voters.

No sensible, non racist Brexit voter (yeah, yeah do your own gags!) ever wanted to stop immigration. It's not even a feasible concept.

Just odd that it comes up so much to me. 

"regaining control of our borders" and "ending freedom of movement" were upfront and central to the Leave campaign. They are both weasel words for something less idealistic and Leave knew it.

Rarely did the campaign lift its eyes to nobler horizons, instead it deliberately pitched its case at the nation's baser psyche.

If that's not the case why, as Den suggests, don't we extend an invitation to foreign workers in other areas of shortage?

Laughable that the Tories apparently thought there were nurses, doctors, care workers and truck drivers lurking in the undergrowth and we needed to get foreigners out so they could step forward and fill the vacancies

27 minutes ago, Gav said:

On a different note, shopping delivery today, only item missing - Cono Sur Pinot Noir 75cl and we did a big shop today!

Exactly Gav. 

Just done my little shopping trip to Asda. All items I wanted were there as always

42 minutes ago, Gav said:

Gav---can I suggest that you and Chaddy contact the government immediately and tell them there isn't actually any shortage of truck drivers and there is no need to make Britain less British by hiring foreign truck drivers?

Keep saying “ it’s nothing to do with Brexit “ if you like. But just like any problem if you disregard the real causes you’ll never solve it. Of course those 10 pints of Stella you drank last night have nothing to do with the banging headache you have in the morning.

For many Brexiteers, not all, what was driving them was a dislike of foreigners. If you can’t see that - you weren’t looking closely enough. Now it’s coming back to bite them and they don’t like it.

We told you what would happen but you took no notice.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Most of the newspaper headlines today scream about "fuel shortages"

The point is, though, that there is no fuel shortage in the UK. There is ample fuel in UK refineries.

What there is, yet again, is a breakdown in the supply chain due to a shortage of lorry drivers.

And the reason why there is a shortage of lorry drivers is that Brexit is that the government has decided to alienate and even expel a significant part of a labour force on which the country has relied.

Tesco is warning already of a Christmas crisis

Food and fuel shortages, massive energy price rises, soaring inflation, a winter of discontent is looming