BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brexit

Black Queens get taken by pawns only if they play their game very badly or if there are enough pawns on the board (about 5m European citizens living in European countries not of their nationality with the links to the UK).

May's speech in Scotland and casual disregard of developments in Northern Ireland are making her more and more vulnerable.

The validity of the Referendum itself is being undermined by these sorts of revelations in the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/04/cambridge-analytics-data-brexit-trump?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Gmail

It is worth remembering that Cambridge Analytica is almost certainly a Putin font organisation- Farage getting his "knighthood" on Russia Today https://www.rt.com/viral/379420-farage-knighthood-online-reaction/ is both very stupid and revelatory. 

22 hours ago, philipl said:

Black Queens get taken by pawns only if they play their game very badly or if there are enough pawns on the board 

Actually, a superior player would be prepared to deliberately sacrifice their queen to open up the opportunity of getting mate.  Only a poor player thinks the versatility of the piece makes it too valuable to lose.

Well one wheel has fallen off Saint Teresa's bandwagon already . Imagine the Tories expecting the self employed to pay more tax. You couldn't make it up. If Hammond had have concentrated more on his speech and less on @#/? taking he wouldn't be in such a mess tonight.

i'm not worrying too much though, they'll soon find a way of kicking this one into the long grass.

Absolute fuss about nothing. The self-employed will pay an average about £240 extra a year how is that going to deter the so-called entrepreneurs and risk-takers?  There was a story about a barrister ( a BARRISTER) saying he'd have to put his fees up because of the extra tax !  The country's going to hell in a tax avoidance hand cart. 

Ah well, Brexit has cost the last inwards investment project to the UK I was working on. The investor is too uncertain about availability of appropriately academically qualified labour and the lack of attractiveness of the UK now to internationally-mobile staff. The all out assault on international students by the May Government fundamentally undermines the plans these people had.

Not a direct Brexit affect but the cancellation of this project in the UK is certainly a victim of the general attitude to non-UK citizens and immigration.  The reason for not headquartering in London which would have been moving about 100 jobs to the UK is because about 50% of the positions would have been filled by straight transfer of staff from overseas. The UK might have welcomed their money but the pain and expense of getting UK visas and the lack of status for Europeans moving after 15 March made the investors feel that their people were not welcome.

Now my project portfolio is mostly made up of Brexit refugees- all very high tech and value adding and all with 50% or so of the people involved either new UK citizens or non-UK EU citizens.

Whole sections of wealth generation capability of the UK are exiting.

12 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

If all you're doing is boosting jobs in London and helping to increase its economic dominance in the UK then I don't have any sympathy phillip.

How about inward investment and tech business into Lancashire ?

I am moving some high tech jobs out of Lancashire because of Brexit.

London pays 20% more in taxes than Government benefits received so Lancashire depends on the London economy doing well.

Edited by philipl

5 hours ago, philipl said:

I am moving some high tech jobs out of Lancashire because of Brexit.

London pays 20% more in taxes than Government benefits received so Lancashire depends on the London economy doing well.

Rubbish.

London is a drain on the UK economy in terms of investment and people. It's the leech on the nation's back and has been decades. 

I can't believe you've come on a Lancashire football website and boasted about moving jobs down south.

I voted Remain but it's people like you who have led to the Brexit vote. 

Edited by jim mk2

I like Nicola Sturgeon. Hates the Tories and hates Westminster. 

Little England is going to be left all on its own as the United Kingdom breaks up and Scotland and a reunited Ireland remain in a reinvigorated EU .

It's Wales I feel sorry for. 

Cameron in calling an unnecessary referendum has probably done more damage to this country than any PM in history

Edited by jim mk2

53 minutes ago, Biddy said:

Surprise, surprise. The Scottish independence party wants Scottish independence.  No one saw that coming since 2014. 

I don't think it will go in favour of independence, however Sturgeon has little option due to her stance pre-Brexit,  and given that otherwise Scotland may have had to apply to the EU as a new member rather than part of an existing member.

The reaction of May to the vote will be interesting, if she really wants to keep the union, then she may have to go for a less hard Brexit. 

The spineless cowards in the Commons who apparently don't want to be answerable to unelected bureaucrats in Brussels have decided to cede power to unelected bureaucrats in Westminstter. Wasn't the Brexit vote supposed to be about parliamentary sovereignty ?  

May now in a position of telling Scottish people that it's in their best economic interest to stay in union with their biggest trading partner,  whilst negotiating and pretending the opposite for the whole country.

Just now, Baz said:

May now in a position of telling Scottish people that it's in their best economic interest to stay in union with their biggest trading partner,  whilst negotiating and pretending the opposite for the whole country.

Spot on.

I have to say the SNPs hand looks a lot weaker today than two years ago. An ever more uncertain global situation and a weak EU does not really make an appealing pitch to the middle voters to gamble on independence.

Still politics is so incredibly unpredictable atm it's very hard to guess ahead 3 months, let alone 18 months from now.

It's certainly a big gamble by Sturgeon. The whole raison d'etre of the SNP is to achieve Scottish independence so she has to get it right this time - there's unlikely to be a third chance.  Failure will surely see the SNP diminish as a political force in the Scotland.

I think she'll win though. Even middle of the road Scots dislike being dictated to by Tory govts in Westminister and with the prospect of Tory rule for years to come in England in the absence of an alternative they might well take the plunge just to escape from England's right wing clutches. 

Sturgeon has a political win-win even though independence looks bleak economically for Scotland in the face of newly weakening oil prices.

Consider:

If May goes soft on Brexit and remains in the single market- Scotland benefits economically and probably remains in the UK but the SNP gets the kudos of opposing May and the Tory @#/?s (John Major's term, not mine) and winning the case for staying in the Single Market.

If May goes hard Brexit, Sturgeon will easily position May as the real reason for the break-up of the UK (Northern Ireland could unify with the Republic in these circumstances as a hard Irish border would be inevitable). Sturgeon doesn't even need a referendum to skewer May this way because of Scotland's overwhelming remain vote in every one of the 32 districts of Scotland. A hard Brexit today might attract 15% of the vote in Scotland?- it is every bit as toxic as Corbyn. Remember May leads the Conservative and Unionist Party so she is willing to chop off half her party's raison d'etre???

In either version of Brexit, May's great Repeal Act (also known as the Whitehall power grab) will probably also roll back provisions of the Scotland Act if powers from Brussels are not to go directly to the devolved Scottish Government (and also to the Northern Irish and Welsh). Good luck to Theresa May fighting a campaign against an independent Scotland after legislating to remove devolved powers already enshrined in the Scotland Act. Sturgeon knows May either lets powers by-pass Westminster on their way to Holyrood or May has to legislate to prevent that from happening- hence the 2018/19 time frame for the Scottish referendum when May will have run out of long grass to kick this particular issue into. Even the granting of the referendum will produce a fight by May "against the democratic wishes of Scotland" as she tries to frustrate Sturgeon.

Worth remembering that a little country with a more favourable trading regime always has the ability to pick off what business it wants to take from a larger next door neighbour. So Edinburgh could be very well placed to take a chunk of the wealth exiting the City of London and any investment contemplating life in Brexited Manchester, Leeds or Newcastle would be mad not to go to the vastly bigger EU market just north of the border in Scotland. Malta, 1,300 miles from the UK, is enjoying a boom in investment from Brexit refugees (reported today that Easyjet might be coming here) so Scotland right next door would do brilliantly picking off business from England. In the meantime every single Scottish job loss or bit of bad economic news will get firmly pinned by the SNP on England's disastrous Brexit imposed on Scotland.

• Guest changed the title to Brexit
  • Guest featured and unfeatured this topic