BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

News Thread Attempt 394

9 hours ago, Audax said:

Chuck Berry has passed on at 90 years old. 0943445d85f6d856bf958153fb37ae20.jpg

I saw him on tour in Manchester in the summer of 1964. It was his first tour of the U.K. and he was really giving it his all and he went down a storm. Later on he gained a reputation for being a very difficult and unpredictable guy to work with and he would think nothing of leaving the stage in mid song if his time was up.

When I saw him The Animals were also on the bill and Alan Price played piano with King Size Taylor and the Dominoes who were Chuck's backing band that night.

Earlier on The Animals had introduced " The House Of The Rising Sun " by saying " This is our latest release, it's out on Friday, we hope you all go out and buy It ". Off one hearing you just knew it was going to be a massive hit.

8 hours ago, Paul said:

MPs should not have second jobs. Simple as that. One is either an elected, paid politician or not. I'm sure many of us know it's hard enough to hold down one job when the pressure is on let alone two. There really aren't enough hours in the day. 

Mind you I work in George's constituency, he's a shoe in and there can't be many of his supporters  who care who their MP is provided it's blue and votes against tax reform. 

Agree with this. That he will be an editor, alongside an MP and an investment bank advisor on £600k is utterly ridiculous.

If he was labour he'd be crucified by the Sun, Mail etc for deriliction of duty and self interest but theyll let him run on as he is a conservative.

It's a total joke. No second jobs should be a requirement of sitting as an MP. It's a massive conflict of interest, let alone the very real consideration the incumbents are paid 80k and given enormous privileges to serve the people of the country.

Now then, I disliked him intensely when he was Thatcher's hard-right hatchet man and regarded him as a cruel, heartless middle England Tory but Norman Tebbit was right on the mark today when he branded Martin McGuinness, who has died, as a “coward”.

Tebbitt said that he hoped that the former IRA leader, whom he described as “a multi-murderer”, was “parked in a particularly hot and unpleasant corner of Hell for the rest of eternity”.

Well said Norman. 

• Backroom

My perspective probably comes from being born in 1991. I grew up with McGuiness being a man involved in uniting Ireland through the peace process, trying to put right what he had done wrong, and treating his adversaries with respect, and being a respected leader across both Irelands.

By no means do I think he deserves particular plaudits beyond 'well done for trying to right your wrongs', but I do think people should be able to respect those elements without souring them because of the past.

I think the two quotes below help illustrate how much we (and indeed, Ireland) have matured as a society. Here is Martin McGuinness' reaction to Ian Paisleys death:

"Despite our differences, I found him to be a charismatic and powerful personality. He always treated me and those who worked with me with respect and courtesy. Today I have lost a friend." 

Here is Ian Paisley's son's reaction to Martin's death:

"During my fathers illness, Martin contacted me. He would have texted me just to ask how Ian was, and say he was thinking about him. It was very precious to us as a family. It gave Ian a lot of happiness as well to know that he had left that impression. It's not about how you start your life, it's about how you finish it."

To see two huge Irish figures come together and be respectful to one another at the end of their lives (while still having their political differences) should be inspiring.

I know a lot of people (even those affected by the IRA) will see McGuiness as having given hope for a peaceful future for Ireland.

14 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Now then, I disliked him intensely when he was Thatcher's hard-right hatchet man and regarded him as a cruel, heartless middle England Tory but Norman Tebbit was right on the mark today when he branded Martin McGuinness, who has died, as a “coward”.

Tebbitt said that he hoped that the former IRA leader, whom he described as “a multi-murderer”, was “parked in a particularly hot and unpleasant corner of Hell for the rest of eternity”.

Well said Norman. 

I wouldn't agree with that, yeah he had his early days in the IRA fighting for justice and equality for Irish people in the North, but then he spent the rest of his days ensuring peace and equality and ensuring the good Friday agreement was upheld. 

it all depends what side of the fence you are on the media in England wouldn't be as kind as that in Ireland he has been painted in a completely different picture in Ireland.

Just now, JonnyP said:

I wouldn't agree with that, yeah he had his early days in the IRA fighting for justice and equality for Irish people in the North, but then he spent the rest of his days ensuring peace and equality and ensuring the good Friday agreement was upheld. 

it all depends what side of the fence you are on the media in England wouldn't be as kind as that in Ireland he has been painted in a completely different picture in Ireland.

Bullshit. He was an dirty, filthy Irish republican terrorist who was involved in the murder of British soldiers

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Bullshit. He was an dirty, filthy Irish republican terrorist who was involved in the murder of British soldiers

Lik I said it depends what side of the fence your sitting on. In your eyes he's a terrorist because he killed British soldiers but in some parts of Ireland he was seen as someone who was returning abit of the punishment. 

12 minutes ago, Mike E said:

By no means do I think he deserves particular plaudits beyond 'well done for trying to right your wrongs', but I do think people should be able to respect those elements without souring them because of the past.

Try explaining that to the families of British soldiers killed as a result of McGuinness's actions 

Just now, JonnyP said:

Lik I said it depends what side of the fence your sitting on. In your eyes he's a terrorist because he killed British soldiers but in some parts of Ireland he was seen as someone who was returning abit of the punishment. 

Stupid statement

• Backroom
Just now, jim mk2 said:

Try explaining that to the families of British soldiers killed as a result of McGuinness's actions 

Pot and Kettle re: British soldiers.

Though the point I was making was that he tried to right his wrongs, trying and largely succeeding in creating a peaceful future for Ireland.

Edited by Mike E

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Stupid statement

Why is it a stupid statement the British army were no saints during there time oppressing the Irish Catholics, certain truths arnt told in your history books but the were over here. I personally don't agree with violence and would approve more of his latter contributions but I'm just  explaining what the opinion would be in certain parts of Ireland where sectarianism would have been a problem. You sat deeply on one side you haven't lived in the middle

Just now, JonnyP said:

Why is it a stupid statement the British army were no saints during there time oppressing the Irish Catholics, certain truths arnt told in your history books but the were over here. I personally don't agree with violence and would approve more of his latter contributions but I'm just  explaining what the opinion would be in certain parts of Ireland where sectarianism would have been a problem. You sat deeply on one side you haven't lived in the middle

British soldiers were sent to NI to protect Catholics from attacks by the loyalist population. You don't know what you're talking about.  

Just now, jim mk2 said:

British soldiers were sent to NI to protect Catholics from attacks by the loyalist population. You don't know what you're talking about.  

British rule for the last 800 years has basically led to British soldiers slaughtering and oppressing Irish Catholics. Britain may have felt justified in the control it had over Ireland and then later the north but the Irish up their sure as hell didn't. The IRA went about their way of making a stand in my opinion in an unnecessary manor but they had a lot of support n they believed in what they were fighting for and some would believe that without that violence it would never have led to the power sharing that is their now

• Backroom
Just now, jim mk2 said:

Shame they killed a bunch of unarmed folk in a car park, isn't it?

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Utter nonsense. I suggest you go away and do some research and reading on the perspective of both sides.

IRA are scum. 

On the day Martin McGuinness died, just remember that he was lucky. He wasn't tarred and feathered for who he loved. He was never forced to kneel in a dark room, with a bag over his head, a pistol pressed against his head. He won't be buried in an anonymous field, with not a single soul knowing if he was dead or his location. He won't be ripped apart or crippled by an explosive device hidden in a bin in front of a shop or a bag deposited next to a pub. He wasn't shot in the street, or with work colleagues forced up against the side of a van. He was lucky enough to die without being forced to suffer these inhumanities.

Please spare a thought for all those who were victims of the violence he sanctioned.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Utter nonsense. I suggest you go away and do some research and reading on the perspective of both sides.

IRA are scum. 

Your perspective is pure ingnorence you probably have never been to the North. My misses mothers family are all from Belfast n my entire family is British iv heard both sides n I'm able to disconnect bias as Im not affected by either. Your clearly fed a one dimensional perspective because your English through n through. your newspapers are all bias your conversations are all bias. When you talk to someone who has lived through the troubles and oppression of a unionist rule you might gain a different understanding of what the IRA stood for. 

Luckily Northern Ireland is a completely different place now and majority live in harmony together (to a certain extent) but to you the IRA were scum to others they stood for something a lot more. It all depends what side of the fence your sitting on. 

• Backroom
Just now, JonnyP said:

Your perspective is pure ingnorence you probably have never been to the North. My misses mothers family are all from Belfast n my entire family is British iv heard both sides n I'm able to disconnect bias as Im not affected by either. Your clearly fed a one dimensional perspective because your English through n through. your newspapers are all bias your conversations are all bias. When you talk to someone who has lived through the troubles and oppression of a unionist rule you might gain a different understanding of what the IRA stood for. 

Luckily Northern Ireland is a completely different place now and majority live in harmony together (to a certain extent) but to you the IRA were scum to others they stood for something a lot more. It all depends what side of the fence your sitting on. 

Tbf, jim is more biased than most newspapers :D

IRA have as much right to be known as "freedom fighters" as Eta or Isis. They're all terrorist organisations. The IRA murdered young lads from Lancashire who only joined up because they lived in an economically depressed area where they couldn't get a job. The IRA were cowards who claimed to be waging a "war" yet indiscriminately attacked easy targets,  including the civilian population. Scum, led by McGuinness. 

Incidentally I am with Jim all the way on this (he'll need reviving). I have spent a good deal of today listening to the various phone ins, most of which portrayed this turd as some sort of latter day saint, a 'strong moral individual' who was 'easily liked'.

Those comments were from Alastair Campbell, but my fury was for the Irish Harpy 'Kathryn Johnston' who painted him as a Mother Theresa type. She claimed that the only casualties from explosives during the troubles were the nosy members of the public. Like the women and children running from the first explosion in Enniskillen toward the bigger bomb down the street ? Stupid cow.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

IRA have as much right to be known as "freedom fighters" as Eta or Isis. They're all terrorist organisations. The IRA murdered young lads from Lancashire who only joined up because they lived in an economically depressed area where they couldn't get a job. The IRA were cowards who claimed to be waging a "war" yet indiscriminately attacked easy targets,  including the civilian population. Scum, led by McGuinness. 

This isn't a personal attack but you have clearly shown that your opinion is completely bias you have outlined your emotional connection that Lancashire lads were killed. As far as the IRA were concerned they were there to impose British rule they couldn't give a sh*t if they were disadvantaged. The British army did themselves no favours on Bloody Sunday.

Im never going to change your opinion because your too emotionally attached to one side of the argument that meeting me half way is beyond a possibility. 

In Ireland McGuinness was applauded for his contributions to the peace process and the work he did for the Irish people. His honesty as he never denied his involvement where as Adams has was well respected. And some would maybe go a lot further. I would be of the view personally that his contributions to peace process were vital and that without the good Friday agreement and power sharing Northern Ireland would be a worse off place.

Just now, JonnyP said:

. As far as the IRA were concerned they were there to impose British rule they couldn't give a sh*t if they were disadvantaged. The British army did themselves no favours on Bloody Sunday.

Northern Ireland is a province of the United Kingdom. The majority of its inhabitants are Protestants loyal to the crown and Britain. If the cowards in the IRA had been brave enough to confront the British army on the streets, instead of planting bombs and running away, or killing innocent civilians, they would have understood what "British rule" really meant.