Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

probably stay so long as they tried to back him 

Hughes is the probably the best bet for them. Strong character and good leadership skills. Plus with have his staff with him

currently 2/7 favourite with sky bet. back him last night at 7/1. Already had a good day betting with Cheltenham. 

The Southampton squad is good enough to stay up. They need organising defensively and play abit more attacking

I think you might win your bet, but im not convinced he is the right choice.

Theres a constant cry that British managers dont get a chance, but I think its a bit of a myth as a lot of British managers actually get numerous chances, often perhaps one too many. Look at Monk, Lambert, Phil Brown, Adkins, even Pardew.

Very lucky if you are deemed not good enough by one team down at the bottom and quickly get a job at one of their relegation rivals. Stoke looked doomed under him (dont look that much better under Lambert, fitter but toothless) and im not sure he has the ability to fire fight in him.

To be fair, that squad at Southampton is far better than the squads around them and I dont think they will go down regardless. I do wonder if someone like Silva might be able to get more out of their technical players than Hughes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure where to put this. I always find these signs a laugh. But have a new favourite. The Dingles are in town.

*sigh* Yes, all lives matter. That is what the BLM movement is about. No one has said that white lives don't matter. When the police created the blue lives matter, did you or other people complai

Posted Images

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think you might win your bet, but im not convinced he is the right choice.

Theres a constant cry that British managers dont get a chance, but I think its a bit of a myth as a lot of British managers actually get numerous chances, often perhaps one too many. Look at Monk, Lambert, Phil Brown, Adkins, even Pardew.

Very lucky if you are deemed not good enough by one team down at the bottom and quickly get a job at one of their relegation rivals. Stoke looked doomed under him (dont look that much better under Lambert, fitter but toothless) and im not sure he has the ability to fire fight in him.

To be fair, that squad at Southampton is far better than the squads around them and I dont think they will go down regardless. I do wonder if someone like Silva might be able to get more out of their technical players than Hughes.

Better than Marco Silva is Mark Hughes. 

Adkins and Brown are very experience managers and know the leagues in league 1 or 2. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2018 at 17:54, Norbert Rassragr said:

A thought just occurred to me about David Moyes. He was so outraged when we were angry about the blatant corruption and rape of our club at Wigan or wherever it was, yet he has said little about fans running on the pitch and confronting his players, intimidating kids so much they had to sit on the Burnley subs bench and threw coins at the owners. So he is only the big man of principle when it suits him, otherwise he'd have been stronger in his words and possibly resigned. 

I think he said something along the lines of he was so disgusted with the 'abuse' Steve Kean got from Rovers fans that he walked out of Ewood at half time. If my memory serves me correctly that abuse was limited to chants from the terraces of 'stand up if you want Kean out' etc. when the team was marooned at the bottom of the league. Nothing particularly threatening or nasty, no physical threat. Just the usual you would expect if you were central to a destructive regime at a club. 

Strangely enough when West Ham supporters invade the pitch, attempt to storm the directors box, hurl far worse abuse at their owners including throwing coins at them, Moyesie is very quiet on the subject.

Another one like Dyche who's happy to mouth off to the press particularly about the behaviour of other clubs and fans when it suits him but when it doesn't or it happens closer to home he keeps quiet. Double standards indeed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JHRover said:

I think he said something along the lines of he was so disgusted with the 'abuse' Steve Kean got from Rovers fans that he walked out of Ewood at half time. If my memory serves me correctly that abuse was limited to chants from the terraces of 'stand up if you want Kean out' etc. when the team was marooned at the bottom of the league. Nothing particularly threatening or nasty, no physical threat. Just the usual you would expect if you were central to a destructive regime at a club. 

Strangely enough when West Ham supporters invade the pitch, attempt to storm the directors box, hurl far worse abuse at their owners including throwing coins at them, Moyesie is very quiet on the subject.

Another one like Dyche who's happy to mouth off to the press particularly about the behaviour of other clubs and fans when it suits him but when it doesn't or it happens closer to home he keeps quiet. Double standards indeed. 

The Moyes staged exit was one of those moments that reminds you about the football family and in particular the agents influence over the game. Managers aren’t out to make friends with supporters they are out to get themselves employment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Roll up roll up for the deadbeat Derby!

Hardly surprising that 4 of the bottom five spots are occupied by the real desperados surprisingly appointed off the managerial merry go round - Pardew, Lambert, Hodgson and Moyes. The only two questionable appointments that have worked are Carvalhal who has completely confounded expectations and to a lesser degree Sam who has done what he usually does, done just about enough to keep Everton clear of trouble without impressing anyone.

Surely it's time for Clubs to start being a bit braver, look down the Leagues and plump for up and coming young talent instead of the same tired old faces.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Roll up roll up for the deadbeat Derby!

Hardly surprising that 4 of the bottom five spots are occupied by the real desperados surprisingly appointed off the managerial merry go round - Pardew, Lambert, Hodgson and Moyes. The only two questionable appointments that have worked are Carvalhal who has completely confounded expectations and to a lesser degree Sam who has done what he usually does, done just about enough to keep Everton clear of trouble without impressing anyone.

Surely it's time for Clubs to start being a bit braver, look down the Leagues and plump for up and coming young talent instead of the same tired old faces.

I agree that Premier League clubs should trust younger British managers more. However we need to stop as many foreigners coming in.

The concerning thing for me is that when Soton appointed Puel or Pellegrino they were hailed as imaginative or ambitious appointments, yet the arrival of Hughes will be considered dull and boring, even though Hughes' record is far better than theirs at this level.

Likewise Palace - appointed De Boer and its welcomed - he was a disaster so they bring in Hodgson and he's classed as a unimaginative move.

Allardyce's track record makes him far more qualified for Everton than most, yet already they're bringing back the Silva talk. Silva may turn out to be a quality manager but at this moment in time he's way short of Sam's CV. But he's Portuguese and young so that makes him an attractive candidate more than a 60 odd year old from Dudley.

We're in dangerous territory in this country where there's this attitude all the time that foreign is best whereas British is outdated and unattractive. Then they wonder why we've ended up with Gareth Southgate in the top job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JHRover said:

On the face of it a good move, former player, knows the League and they probably had to try something different.

Perry Groves made the point on Talksport tonight though that Hughes has never won more than two of his first eight games wherever he's been - he's typically a manager who takes some time to get going.

Surprising stat if true. I certainly wouldn't blame him for that here though given he inherited an absolute train wreck off Souness.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure about only giving him a three month deal. That type of contract lessens his authority as it presents him as little more than a stop-gap until next season. A nice £1m bonus if he keeps them up, though, so at the very least Hughes will be motivated. Whether he can translate that to the players remains to be seen. 

A nice graph on the BBC depicting Hughes' record of PL finishes during full seasons in charge of clubs:

image.png.02bd8b2fbc29ddf50ed4fd2b3d2409fb.png

 

Fair to say we had Hughes at his peak :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hughes in some ways is the architect of his own downfall with his behaviour at Rovers, Fulham and QPR. Always gave the impression at Rovers that he was eyeing a move elsewhere and thought he was bigger/better than the club. Clearly then something wrong at Fulham with him doing a good job and then walking out after 1 season, and Al Fayed referred to him as a 'strange man'. Then he joins QPR who are the smallest and least developed club he has been at (so much for moving on to bigger and better things) and squandered millions on poor signings.

He seemed to get some of his Rovers-era performance back at Stoke where he did a solid, steady job over several years with 3x 9th placed finishes, but without the cup performance and European qualification that he was so good at with Rovers, and then seemed to lose his way after that, with them gradually getting worse.

Can't blame him for taking the Soton job - a good job at a stable club and he's probably counting his lucky stars to be given such an opportunity after leaving Stoke in a mess, but it is also a big gamble for him - if he fails it could well be his last Premier League job for a while and looking at their fixtures he's going to need to hit the ground running to have any chance.

He'll be motivated by the Stoke factor - the chance to go and keep one of their direct rivals up at their expense will be satisfying for him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Hughes in some ways is the architect of his own downfall with his behaviour at Rovers, Fulham and QPR. Always gave the impression at Rovers that he was eyeing a move elsewhere and thought he was bigger/better than the club. Clearly then something wrong at Fulham with him doing a good job and then walking out after 1 season, and Al Fayed referred to him as a 'strange man'. Then he joins QPR who are the smallest and least developed club he has been at (so much for moving on to bigger and better things) and squandered millions on poor signings.

He seemed to get some of his Rovers-era performance back at Stoke where he did a solid, steady job over several years with 3x 9th placed finishes, but without the cup performance and European qualification that he was so good at with Rovers, and then seemed to lose his way after that, with them gradually getting worse.

Can't blame him for taking the Soton job - a good job at a stable club and he's probably counting his lucky stars to be given such an opportunity after leaving Stoke in a mess, but it is also a big gamble for him - if he fails it could well be his last Premier League job for a while and looking at their fixtures he's going to need to hit the ground running to have any chance.

He'll be motivated by the Stoke factor - the chance to go and keep one of their direct rivals up at their expense will be satisfying for him.

I would imagine he was eyeing a bigger move, who doesn't from this club? It's reality. I never thought he flaunted it personally. He was a fantastic player and manager for us.

His biggest mistake was leaving here to go to City. Not only was it the wrong move as they had  no structures at the time to allow them to compete with the big boys(other than throwing money at random mercenaries) , but he pretty much ruled himself out of ever even being considered for the United job. If he had have stayed here, I bet he would have got the United job ahead of Moyes. 

I hope he does well with them, starting by injuring a couple of Wigan players. Nothing serious, just enough to keep them out for a few weeks :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would imagine he was eyeing a bigger move, who doesn't from this club? It's reality.

Before Hughes was here and whilst Hughes was here we were a top 8-10 Premier League club. Possibly or 8-9 'bigger' jobs available in English football - United, Liverpool, Everton, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle, Villa - and out of those he was never going to get Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea - beyond that we were as good as it got.

I tend to focus less on our 'stature' as a club being the problem and more on our disgraceful owners who refused to support their managers with competitive levels of investment being the primary reason Souness and Hughes were allowed to leave to other clubs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Before Hughes was here and whilst Hughes was here we were a top 8-10 Premier League club. Possibly or 8-9 'bigger' jobs available in English football - United, Liverpool, Everton, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle, Villa - and out of those he was never going to get Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea - beyond that we were as good as it got.

I tend to focus less on our 'stature' as a club being the problem and more on our disgraceful owners who refused to support their managers with competitive levels of investment being the primary reason Souness and Hughes were allowed to leave to other clubs.

Souness was losing the plot ! 

But then again rumour as it Duff didnt want to leave ! 

Cos Souness , never recovered from him leaving ..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting compo for Souness was almost as miraculous as being paid for Steele. He had totally lost his marbles by that point and I imagine he was only a couple of games from the sack. Apparently Newcastle saw Dominic Matteo playing on left wing and thought "yep, that's what we want". 

Hughes deserved more than he got investment wise, so it's hard to begrudge him deciding to move elsewhere. As we saw with Allardyce the purse strings were being snapped shut and the Trustees wanted out to whoever they could find willing to pay a discount price. Never a good situation to be in as a manager. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Hughes in some ways is the architect of his own downfall with his behaviour at Rovers, Fulham and QPR. Always gave the impression at Rovers that he was eyeing a move elsewhere and thought he was bigger/better than the club. Clearly then something wrong at Fulham with him doing a good job and then walking out after 1 season, and Al Fayed referred to him as a 'strange man'. Then he joins QPR who are the smallest and least developed club he has been at (so much for moving on to bigger and better things) and squandered millions on poor signings.

He seemed to get some of his Rovers-era performance back at Stoke where he did a solid, steady job over several years with 3x 9th placed finishes, but without the cup performance and European qualification that he was so good at with Rovers, and then seemed to lose his way after that, with them gradually getting worse.

Can't blame him for taking the Soton job - a good job at a stable club and he's probably counting his lucky stars to be given such an opportunity after leaving Stoke in a mess.

I've got to take exception at the comment about Hughes always seemingly 'eyeing a move elsewhere' JH?

I never got that feeling until the very last game of the season, away at Brum was it? We got stuffed and Hughes was gone that summer, clearly the players had an idea he was about to leave and just gave up.

A fantastic manager for us, you never felt short changed, Bellamy, Roque, Bentley, Samba and Beni Big Mac, great time to be a Rover.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gav said:

I've got to take exception at the comment about Hughes always seemingly 'eyeing a move elsewhere' JH?

I never got that feeling until the very last game of the season, away at Brum was it? We got stuffed and Hughes was gone that summer, clearly the players had an idea he was about to leave and just gave up.

A fantastic manager for us, you never felt short changed, Bellamy, Roque, Bentley, Samba and Beni Big Mac, great time to be a Rover.

Towards the end of his time at Rovers he was being " linked " to every  similarly ranked club that had bigger pockets then. I  think Spurs was one, Villa may have been another. That doesn't happen without a reason.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Towards the end of his time at Rovers he was being " linked " to every  similarly ranked club that had bigger pockets then. I  think Spurs was one, Villa may have been another. That doesn't happen without a reason.

Ya, it happens cos a lot of British sports journalists are cnuts 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Towards the end of his time at Rovers he was being " linked " to every  similarly ranked club that had bigger pockets then. I  think Spurs was one, Villa may have been another. That doesn't happen without a reason.

He was never the same after the Newcastle link.

Great manager for us. If he'd have stayed a bit longer he would have probably been in for the Man U job.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hughes is a bit drab these days, I had to go back and check he hasn’t managed Southampton before and he’s just one of those that amble between Lower mid table premier league teams, had him down as the next Burnley manager if Dyche ever left!

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Gav said:

I've got to take exception at the comment about Hughes always seemingly 'eyeing a move elsewhere' JH?

I never got that feeling until the very last game of the season, away at Brum was it? We got stuffed and Hughes was gone that summer, clearly the players had an idea he was about to leave and just gave up.

A fantastic manager for us, you never felt short changed, Bellamy, Roque, Bentley, Samba and Beni Big Mac, great time to be a Rover.

I agree. Good times, good job done, good recruitment.

I always had the feeling that he had half an eye on his next job, I think he saw Rovers as merely a route into the Premier League before moving on to a bigger job elsewhere.

It hasn't really worked out the way he thought it would because he's no better off now than he was when managing Rovers, probably worse off. If he takes Soton down he won't be managing in the Premier League for a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tom said:

Hughes is a bit drab these days, I had to go back and check he hasn’t managed Southampton before and he’s just one of those that amble between Lower mid table premier league teams, had him down as the next Burnley manager if Dyche ever left!

Image result for mark hughes blackburn rovers

 

Never.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JHRover said:

Before Hughes was here and whilst Hughes was here we were a top 8-10 Premier League club. Possibly or 8-9 'bigger' jobs available in English football - United, Liverpool, Everton, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle, Villa - and out of those he was never going to get Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea - beyond that we were as good as it got.

I tend to focus less on our 'stature' as a club being the problem and more on our disgraceful owners who refused to support their managers with competitive levels of investment being the primary reason Souness and Hughes were allowed to leave to other clubs.

Disagree completely about Hughes being in any way at fault with his conduct here. The lack of support afforded him by the Walker Trust was an absolute disgrace given how well he'd done for us, he got us to within spitting distance of Champions League qualification then Savage broke his leg and the owners refused to fund a replacement. Little wonder he began to think his future lay elsewhere.

Also as others have said, you can't compare Souness's departure to that of Hughes. Souness completely lost the plot here and should have been sacked long before Newcastle thankfully came in for him. We lined up with 5 left backs on the pitch for one game towards the end of his reigh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.