1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I hadn't realised it would be in Quatar in our winter. Does that mean that domestic competitions will start early in 2022 or extended to later in 2023 to cope?

I don't think they have even worked it out themselves yet!

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure where to put this. I always find these signs a laugh. But have a new favourite. The Dingles are in town.

*sigh* Yes, all lives matter. That is what the BLM movement is about. No one has said that white lives don't matter. When the police created the blue lives matter, did you or other people complai

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Neil Weaver said:

So these games that will get played behind closed doors..... what will the spectators do instead?

For those who subscribe to every sports channel and ifollow, TV/PC/phone is an option.  But to those that don't (the majority?) could the pub be an option?  That'd work well, encouraging dozens of folk to gather in a confined space with lots of close contact.

What about keeping the games open to spectators but checking everyone on the way in?

All fans could easily have their temperature checked at the turnstiles. Anyone showing a fever is barred and has to go for further checks.

It would take longer to get in, but games would have fans, and they'd have some idea.

Are point of care tests available?

16 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

What about keeping the games open to spectators but checking everyone on the way in?

All fans could easily have their temperature checked at the turnstiles. Anyone showing a fever is barred and has to go for further checks.

It would take longer to get in, but games would have fans, and they'd have some idea.

People can have the virus for days without showing any symptoms. This is one of the reasons it is spreading so quickly. 

20 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Nice idea but checking 30,000 plus people would take hours and hours plus huge manpower and costs to carry out the checks. 

Fans told to start queueing at 11am for a 3pm start wouldn't bother,

It's not worth it. It's conceivable this weekend's matches could be the end of the season unless games are played behind closed doors

Edited by jim mk2
4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Nice idea but checking 30,000 plus people would take hours and hours plus huge manpower and costs to carry out the checks. 

Fans told to start queueing at 11am for a 3pm start wouldn't bother,

It's not worth it. It's conceivable this weekend's matches could be the end of the season unless games are played behind closed doors

Checking would spot some people that are contagious but many more wouldn't show up on the scan at that moment in time. I won't be attending on Saturday as I'm in the vulnerable group. I won't be going to the Rugby League on Sunday either.

Apparently some of the people recovering have been showing signs of long term lung damage.

42 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Checking would spot some people that are contagious but many more wouldn't show up on the scan at that moment in time. I won't be attending on Saturday as I'm in the vulnerable group. I won't be going to the Rugby League on Sunday either.

Apparently some of the people recovering have been showing signs of long term lung damage.

A good friends wife worked in the NHS and as a result contracted Swineflu - she was incredibly ill, lucky to survive but has been left with permanent lung damage and consequently as hugely increased risk to things like this. Although most will have mild to moderate symptoms if they get it for some it could be very dangerous indeed.

29 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think you're right. What will happen regarding promotion and relegation ? Maintain the status quo ?

I think if the season is cancelled then there would have to be no promotion/relegation. The legal battles that would ensue for teams who are relegated with games to play would probably cripple the game once and for all and would go on for months ensuring next seasons campaigns would never ever get started! 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Matches being postponed and squads going into isolation all round Europe now.

I can see the whole football season being suspended soon

Rugani from Juventus has it.

An NBA player has it so they've suspended the entire league. Although there's less of a legal fuss on that as it's a closed shop with no promotion or relegation.

The no handshakes before the game is a farce. Players spend 90 minutes touching each other then shake hands at the end.

2 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

I think if the season is cancelled then there would have to be no promotion/relegation. The legal battles that would ensue for teams who are relegated with games to play would probably cripple the game once and for all and would go on for months ensuring next seasons campaigns would never ever get started! 

Reset and go again?

Lifeline for Bury?

Edited by DanLad
5 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Brenden Rodgers has confirmed this afternoon that three Leicester players have shown symptoms for corona and are being tested, they are self isolating at home.

A few of our lads against Derby played like they'd been on the ale too. 

To me 2 things seem pretty clear. 

1) They can't continue the season at present. Forget behind closed doors, players etc. seem just as much as risk so the season has to be paused. 

2) the season can't not have an ending. The implications financial, logistical and otherwise are too big and would open up a huge amount of aggro. 

Therefore to me the only logical thing to do is postpone for a few weeks then restart, and knock the Euros back a year. Any other strategy I feel would be dangerous health and safety wise or just impractical. 

31 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

1) They can't continue the season at present. Forget behind closed doors, players etc. seem just as much as risk so the season has to be paused. 

2) the season can't not have an ending. The implications financial, logistical and otherwise are too big and would open up a huge amount of aggro. 

Therefore to me the only logical thing to do is postpone for a few weeks then restart, and knock the Euros back a year. Any other strategy I feel would be dangerous health and safety wise or just impractical. 

I think that's what will end up happening. Euros back a year and a few weeks break for the club season. 

10 hours ago, Blue blood said:

If the view is taken that all normal  life has to grind to a halt because of the virus then the above  certainly seems the least worst option. The problem is whether the "crisis" such as it is will be any better in a time span as short as a month.

In the meantime the hysteria continues unabated. When Talksport broke the news that Arteta had the virus last night the presenters on the show and people phoning in were talking about the poor guy like he'd died.