• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure where to put this. I always find these signs a laugh. But have a new favourite. The Dingles are in town.

*sigh* Yes, all lives matter. That is what the BLM movement is about. No one has said that white lives don't matter. When the police created the blue lives matter, did you or other people complai

Posted Images

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If the view is taken that all normal  life has to grind to a halt because of the virus then the above  certainly seems the least worst option. The problem is whether the "crisis" such as it is will be any better in a time span as short as a month.

In the meantime the hysteria continues unabated. When Talksport broke the news that Arteta had the virus last night the presenters on the show and people phoning in were talking about the poor guy like he'd died.

Think this is a key question. However from the little I understand I think that they are hoping to delay till the warmer weather which will help slow the virus. If this is the case then a month or so at this time of year could make a huge difference. 

Any solution is going to be chaos. Working in education losing school time (as seems inevitable) will have a huge knock on effect on exams. The whole thing is a big mess really and going to have a huge impact. 

Btw whilst there has been hysteria surrounding it (like Arteta) I am not as blase as yourself about it. Being asthmatic I am well prepared for flu, however there is less I can do about the virus, and I suspect that is the case for many. so it really is a bigger deal than a bad case of flu. 

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If the view is taken that all normal  life has to grind to a halt because of the virus then the above  certainly seems the least worst option. The problem is whether the "crisis" such as it is will be any better in a time span as short as a month.

In the meantime the hysteria continues unabated. When Talksport broke the news that Arteta had the virus last night the presenters on the show and people phoning in were talking about the poor guy like he'd died.

Normal life simply has to be put on hold.

Whether or not Rovers complete their season is neither here nor there in these circumstances.

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

To be fair, what else would you expect from Talkshite? 

28 minutes ago, philipl said:

The pilot of the plane which crashed killing Emiliano Sala didn't even have a pilot's license.

And was colour blind and didn't have any experience of flying at night! I'd want whoever booked that flight in court if I was a family member. 

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Oh imagine if the season was made null and void ?

Yeah it has that really sweet feeling about it. Liverpool and Leeds shafted using the vernacular.

Its what dreams are made of. The only downside is the endless droning on and on that will come from sky about how unfair it is.

If there’s a vote I’m with null and void

The plan seems to be that the leagues will be cancelled as they are now.

Liverpool crowned Champions.

No relegation.

Leeds and West Brom promoted.

No play offs.

22 teams in the PL next season only.

No EFL cup to accomodate the additional matches.

5 teams to be relegated next season to bring it back to 20 teams.

Bolton will be hoping that’s the case, a game or two away from being confirmed as relegated and are going to scab it, ironically that 5 point deferred deduction would have tipped the balance 

20 hours ago, philipl said:

The pilot of the plane which crashed killing Emiliano Sala didn't even have a pilot's license.

Have they ever published who actually made the choice of plane/pilot?

I know there were lots of denials and links to former agents but the focus seems to be on making the pilot the sole culprit...

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

No relegation.

No play offs.

IF they re going to presume that both WBA and Leeds would have gained promotion then they d have to presume that the bottom three would go down! Teams still had chance to catch WBA and Leeds just like the bottom three would say they still had a chance to get out of the bottom three?

Do the four teams in the play off spots get chance to play out Semi/Final ? Strong argument if they re going to promote WBA/Leeds. And do the same rules apply across all the Leagues??

Null and void (unfortunately) takes away all the arguments ..an anomaly of a season!

The PL could make one decision and the EFL could make a different one. 

If we are cancelling the league the reasons for that decision would equally mean no play off games could be facilitated.

Best scenario is the league finishes but the fitness of players at the restart and contracts will be a big issue. Plus the transfer window may be open.

They are saying the virus will peak in 10 - 14 weeks time !

23 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

No relegation.

No play offs.

So only 22 teams in the Championship too? L1 and L2 denied promotions? Lots of competition for automatic spots in there.

Sorry it’s nonsense, and would be a one-eyed approach that football only revolves around the PL. If they come up with a “selective beneficiaries” conclusion I think that’s me done with football.

If the season is scrapped, it’s scrapped, no winners, no losers, and the league starts again as it did at the start of the season. Lawyers can complain all they want but this is unprecedented. PL parachute/consolidarity payments to Leeds and West Brom to give them an edge next season.

As hilarious as it would be to see Leeds and a Liverpool miss out, the only way this ends “properly” is games played behind closed doors. There are enough cameras out there to put games online for those who have bought tickets to stream via iFollow. Sure, it wouldn’t be great but, unless the infection rates drop to minimal over the next three weeks, there is no credible alternative.

The season will have to be null and void IMO, as nothing has been mathematically decided and therefore any other decision would have been made on 'opinion'.

The only precedent that exists is when Chile cancelled their season last year.

"Liverpool" were given the title and there was no promotions or relegations.

Premier league can make one decision about this and the EFL can make a different decision re promotion and relegation. 

Can you imagine the amount of legal action that would follow given the amount of prize money involved.

The PL would need to have a consensus of opinion of their clubs and I couldn't envisage any team voting for less money than another team.

One thing is for sure,  there will be no spectators at any football matches before June at the earliest...

Behind closed doors is the only option , if not the season will have to be null and void.....

Legal challenges galore , Liverpool won't be champions , Leeds wont be promoted  and Bolton won't be relegated ....

The latter really do have lady luck !!

12 minutes ago, Doug said:

Can you imagine the amount of legal action that would follow given the amount of prize money involved.

The PL would need to have a consensus of opinion of their clubs and I couldn't envisage any team voting for less money than another team.

None of them will vote to be relegated. Why would they ?

So they vote Liverpool champions. No relegation. Accept 2 additional teams for the following season. No PL lawsuits and no health risks.

Any other decisions are with the EFL.

Its also feasible that the PL is completed but the EFL is cancelled or vice versa.

4 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

So they vote Liverpool champions. No relegation. Accept 2 additional teams for the following season. No PL lawsuits and no health risks.

Its also feasible that the PL is completed but the EFL is cancelled or vice versa.

If the scousers do win by a vote it’ll always be known as a fake title (even though they are unlikely to let it slip). But if that does happens and leeds stay down I’ll take that as a silver lining. 

4 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

The PL reduced the amount of teams, so presumably they would need to relegate more teams in future seasons and I can't see any of the 'usual contenders' voting for that.

Also, fixture congestion, prize money would be diluted etc.

Dont forget Sky TVs influence in all this .They pay PL clubs wages ..no football no product to sell . 

Watching Sky Sports on Friday the shock on the presenters faces as it was announced football and the  Sri Lanka cricket tour was to be cancelled was there for all to see. No matter how many times they said its the public that comes first the cogs were turning just what financial implications this will have for Sky and televised sport in general.

No live Sports events throughout summer ..customers cancelling subscriptions ..Sky will be getting very itchy feet over this and will probably have a major say in how this problem is going to be sorted.