• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure where to put this. I always find these signs a laugh. But have a new favourite. The Dingles are in town.

*sigh* Yes, all lives matter. That is what the BLM movement is about. No one has said that white lives don't matter. When the police created the blue lives matter, did you or other people complai

Posted Images

With all this uproar over the banner what are we saying here?  I was under the impression ALL lives matter so why is ok to say one does but obnoxious to say another does. Sorry I don't get it. It's all going to go tits up.  Racism sucks both ways, full stop,   

Very interesting that it took a Burnley player, not the manager, to come out immediately to take questions about the banner, and very well said Ben Mee. Dyche has assembled an all white squad at the club, manna to the neanderthals who support the team, and maybe one of the reason they felt emboldened to fly the banner.

Edited by Giant
Grammar
  • Moderation Lead

Just had to tidy this topic up as a comment about voting intention and preferences was tagged onto the football board. 
Whilst the black lives matter movement, in this case is related to football, anything else will be considered off topic. 
Also- for those struggling and saying ‘all lives matter’. They most definitely do. 
It relates to when there is a crisis, people rally around that particular group. 
For example, when it’s breast cancer awareness month, you wouldn’t start saying ‘oh yeah, but what about colon cancer?’

On the game itself I think City have been absolutely outstanding in the two games since the restart, the way they make space for themselves when they have the ball is astonishing.

They are a joy to watch and if they'd performed like that all season we'd still have a title race. Hope Guardiola is in the Premier League for many years to come.

10 hours ago, den said:

To be honest I was talking more about society in general than just football.

On that I would agree. Certainly the experiences of my black friends would attest to that. I think football has done a fairly good job of eliminating it from the terraces though.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

On the game itself I think City have been absolutely outstanding in the two games since the restart, the way they make space for themselves when they have the ball is astonishing.

They are a joy to watch and if they'd performed like that all season we'd still have a title race. Hope Guardiola is in the Premier League for many years to come.

City's problem has been that without Laporte they do not defend well enough.

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

City's problem has been that without Laporte they do not defend well enough.

They never replaced Kompany either. 
Granted, that’s easier said than done!

It's the Pep way. Have all the fancy attacking players, the best passers of a ball and neglect the defence. Throw in a defensive midfielder (Mascirano or Fernandino) into central defence and hope for the best. His teams have always been amazing going forwards, but fall apart when a tough, well organised and skilfully defensive team won't allow them to pass their way through them, and hit with a counter attack.

I'd just like to add my congratulations to Ben Mee.  That's why having a captain with a moral compass is so important.

Getting back to the football. I'd say the dingles are probably a goal, or even two goals, better than we are at the moment. How far in front of us are City ? That gap is massive and it's getting bigger every season.

14 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Absolutely disgusting from Burnley. Flying above the Etihad this evening

IMG-20200622-WA0019.jpg

Comments section on the LT about this is a rubbish fire.

Black people should stop moaning about institutionalised racism, apparently. What a mess.

Delightful evening for Burnley though.

Edited by CD_93

There needs to be some perspective. Social media always amplifies. A small minority of people does not reflect the views of the vast majority.

Recent opinion polls show enormous change in beliefs on issues like race, especially in the last 5/10 years. 80% believe asylum seekers should be given refuge, just 3% believe being white is what qualifies you as British, only a quarter think immigration is bad for Britain (it was 60% in 2011). And there’s many more similar polls.

Does that mean we should be complacent? No, but we should be optimistic and proud of the progress that has been made and not try and paint Britain as this horrible, backwards place due to the views of a small minority of boneheads.

Edited by Mattyblue
4 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

It's the Pep way. Have all the fancy attacking players, the best passers of a ball and neglect the defence. Throw in a defensive midfielder (Mascirano or Fernandino) into central defence and hope for the best. His teams have always been amazing going forwards, but fall apart when a tough, well organised and skilfully defensive team won't allow them to pass their way through them, and hit with a counter attack.

I think thats a little harsh and disingenuous regarding the conversion of defensive midfielders. The objective is obviously to ensure that you have players who can use the ball in tight areas right across the pitch which is crucial to play the way that Pep wants to play, with even their goalkeeper brilliant on the ball. It is a joy to watch when City get the ball deep under pressure near their own net and break the press and get out of the other side. It is a little more than hoping for the best.

Mascherano and Fernandinho both made a successful transition to being a centre back because they had the intelligence and the technical ability to do so, the latter has been by far Citys best defender in Laporte's absence. Laporte is critical to City and him alongside Fernandinho makes a very good duo. Perhaps their squad is overly reliant on Laporte in terms of him being the dominant defender (also superb on the ball) but I suppose you could argue that Van Dijk being out for an extended period would probably cause Liverpools results to nosedive.

It was a bit of an exaggeration, but Pep is still reliant on his team's being able to blast a team away with passing skill, and not need to defend. John Stones may have been a better defender if he was taught about positioning and the basics before how to play fancy tippy tally stuff. Pep would have gotten rid of/never signed Adams, Hendry, Vidic or any of the defenders in that mould as they were not fancy enough with the ball. He has had 2 seasons to replace Kompany, who was getting injured a lot, and his answer is a midfielder who is near the end of his career.

9 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Just had to tidy this topic up as a comment about voting intention and preferences was tagged onto the football board. 
Whilst the black lives matter movement, in this case is related to football, anything else will be considered off topic. 
Also- for those struggling and saying ‘all lives matter’. They most definitely do. 
It relates to when there is a crisis, people rally around that particular group. 
For example, when it’s breast cancer awareness month, you wouldn’t start saying ‘oh yeah, but what about colon cancer?’

Well explained but you know what re the cancer, I believe I have made comments of that ilk.  

always going to take teams and players 2 or 3 games to get back to speed. 

Rodgers get his team selection wrong from the start. Playing Maddison from the left was wrong. They looked much better when they went 4-1-4-1 and Tielemans, Perez and Barnes was on the pitch. 

if Brighton had scored the pen it would have been a different game. 

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

These games since "Project Restart" have been consistently shocking. So dull.

Both City games were good, Spurs v Man Ure was fairly entertaining, I didn't think Norwich v Southampton was bad either.

Ours was one of our best performances of the season.

You were dead against football returning in the first place and are using the standard of the games thus far to justify your stance. How many classics are there on the first day of the season on a hot day in August normally I wonder?

The time to judge is at the end of the season not one and a bit games in after a lengthy play off.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Both City games were good, Spurs v Man Ure was fairly entertaining, I didn't think Norwich v Southampton was bad either.

Ours was one of our best performances of the season.

You were dead against football returning in the first place and are using the standard of the games thus far to justify your stance. How many classics are there on the first day of the season on a hot day in August normally I wonder?

The time to judge is at the end of the season not one and a bit games in after a lengthy play off.

Likewise you could say that about you who was 100% for football returning and dismissive both of the pandemic and also the absence of fans. I dont think I am being biased or on my own suggesting that the games in the main have been boring. The goals per game and the amount ran by each player has dropped.

I suspect that the lack of intensity and lack of entertainment stems from a mixture of a lack of supporters and the lack of match fitness and rustiness, and as you suggest that may change somewhat regarding the latter, but I can only judge on what I have seen so far.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Likewise you could say that about you who was 100% for football returning and dismissive both of the pandemic and also the absence of fans. I dont think I am being biased or on my own suggesting that the games in the main have been boring. The goals per game and the amount ran by each player has dropped.

I suspect that the lack of intensity and lack of entertainment stems from a mixture of a lack of supporters and the lack of match fitness and rustiness, and as you suggest that may change somewhat regarding the latter, but I can only judge on what I have seen so far.

It wouldn't be altogether surprising if the distances run were considerably less than normal given the time of year and the temperatures.

That shouldn't be mistaken for a lack of intensity or importance imo and teams ought to be able to compensate for that by being cuter or more clever.