10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Likewise you could say that about you who was 100% for football returning and dismissive both of the pandemic and also the absence of fans. I dont think I am being biased or on my own suggesting that the games in the main have been boring. The goals per game and the amount ran by each player has dropped.

I suspect that the lack of intensity and lack of entertainment stems from a mixture of a lack of supporters and the lack of match fitness and rustiness, and as you suggest that may change somewhat regarding the latter, but I can only judge on what I have seen so far.

how many games have you watch since the restart? 

of course it down to match fitness and rustiness which is very natural to expect this. This is why its good to see Rovers performance so well and on the money from the start. 

Dont think the Spurs and West Ham been that bad tbh

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure where to put this. I always find these signs a laugh. But have a new favourite. The Dingles are in town.

*sigh* Yes, all lives matter. That is what the BLM movement is about. No one has said that white lives don't matter. When the police created the blue lives matter, did you or other people complai

Posted Images

1 1/2 games in the premier league so far tonight and 0 goals,5 shots on target while ive just finished watching Benfica 3-4 Santa Clara on Freesports.For so long we had the most entertaining league in the world,i'm not so sure we still do.

I was all for football returning and have similar views to rev regarding corona but in the whole I have been bored watching most of the games. It’s early still but after the initial joy of football returning the BCD games just don’t have the same excitement and joy , factor in fitness etc and they have been quite dull affairs to the point it can’t hold my attention. On the flip side loved rovers the same way I’d watch an away game on tv so I’m kind of on the fence and willing to see how I feel after a few more games. I don’t think it helps that the league is technically over before it even started. I lost a lot of interest in the bundesliga after Bayern beat Dortmund after enjoying the initial restart

Edited by Oldgregg86

Didn't see the Spurs game tonight but watched a re-run of West Ham v Wolves and I thought the 'ammers looked the worst side I've seen in a very long time.

They didn't have a clue what to do when they got the ball. No movement, thought or ingenuity at all. They just knocked the ball endlessly sideways and backwards between the back 4 and then eventually the only out ball was for the right back to try and squeeze a ball up the line towards one of the forwards.

Dire stuff. Going to be a poor side stays up this year given only three of Norwich/Villa/Bournemouth and West Ham can go down.

I will say that my reservations over the morality of it all did somewhat reduce as the R rate etc came down and I was more open minded to them finishing the season. My observations arent a criticism of anyone either in that I think its been done as well as possible in the circumstances but of course it can never be the same. 

I also am not putting the decrease in entertainment all on the fact that no supporters are in the ground, although that has to be a major factor. After the gap that theres been without a game and with minimal pre seasons in hotter temperatures than normal, that all has a be a big part of it too. I would add that surely as the players are getting properly up to speed the season will be about to end again!

It was rammed down our throats how it will have to become a "tv sport" whether it be by posters on here, on social media or by Sky, BT etc trying to increase public interest but it doesnt do justice to how much different (negatively) it is without fans, and that albeit the biggest factor is only part of the reason why the product is compromised. Its not nor ever could be just like watching football on TV normally.

57 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Didn't see the Spurs game tonight but watched a re-run of West Ham v Wolves and I thought the 'ammers looked the worst side I've seen in a very long time.

They didn't have a clue what to do when they got the ball. No movement, thought or ingenuity at all. They just knocked the ball endlessly sideways and backwards between the back 4 and then eventually the only out ball was for the right back to try and squeeze a ball up the line towards one of the forwards.

Dire stuff. Going to be a poor side stays up this year given only three of Norwich/Villa/Bournemouth and West Ham can go down.

I watched the Spurs and West Ham game. Moyes set his team up well tonight but not good enough attacking wise. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Moyes is doing a fantastic job at West Ham. Mind you that evaluation is probably because of my dislike for the hammers then anything else. Hope they go down as a very dislikeable club from board to fans. Also shows the level of manager Moyes is, which might not match his own perception. 

9 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Moyes is doing a fantastic job at West Ham. Mind you that evaluation is probably because of my dislike for the hammers then anything else. Hope they go down as a very dislikeable club from board to fans. Also shows the level of manager Moyes is, which might not match his own perception. 

They are in trouble, no doubt there.

Bournemouth and Villa now have a game in hand over them but Bournemouth have to go to Wolves next and Villa are away at Newcastle, so West Ham might just stay out of the bottom 3 for now.

I thought jarred Bowen played well , good decision making and always looking to play the Ball forward and get on the attack. Antonio held the ball up reasonably well and he always plays well when I see West Ham. Strong , versatile and committed. Eric lamella has to be the most frustrating player I’ve seen for a long time . Two games against United and West Ham he was driving me mad. Clearly a very talented player but constantly made the wrong decision with the final ball. Great footballer but lacking the football brain to be a top player 

Edited by Oldgregg86
2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

. Eric lamella has to be the most frustrating player I’ve seen for a long time . Two games against United and West Ham he was driving me mad. Clearly a very talented player but constantly made the wrong decision with the final ball. Great footballer but lacking the football brain to be a top player 

A bit off topic but it's interesting what difference a footballing brain makes. For example we had a lad from Liverpool under Hughes (Pongolle?) who drove me nuts with his decision making. He always seemed to chose the wrong option and have no football nous whatsoever. Bags of potential and pretty nippy and skillful as I recall but always made the wrong choice. So frustrating. Attitude is a key factor in whether players make it and to what level, but I think that football brain also separates players a lot and determines their level. 

In contrast Antonsson when he was with us I thought was a fairly useless footballer but had a good football brain. As in he always tried to do the right thing but often it didn't come off as he didn't have the ability. I'd say without his nous and on talent alone he'd have got nowhere near professional football. 

So who gets your vote for premiership player of the season ?

for me it has to be Kevin de Bruyne. No one comes close to him for ability and he has the work rate to match anybody in the division.

jordan Henderson is getting a lot of votes and whilst I am a fan of Henderson I don’t think he has been the best player at Liverpool. Allison, Trent, Robertson, van dijk and mane would all get the vote above Henderson for me.

intresting comment I heard the other day, was that quality, skilful players are becoming less and less due to clubs wanting and producing athletes. How many players would you pay to watch just to watch them, the likes of zola, bergkamp, Henry, Ginola etc. The quote was comparing Henderson to David batty Saying go back 20 years and imagine batty getting the player of the year. If Henderson wins and Kante recently won it (fully deserved) then it only adds to the point he was making.

56 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

So who gets your vote for premiership player of the season ?

for me it has to be Kevin de Bruyne. No one comes close to him for ability and he has the work rate to match anybody in the division.

jordan Henderson is getting a lot of votes and whilst I am a fan of Henderson I don’t think he has been the best player at Liverpool. Allison, Trent, Robertson, van dijk and mane would all get the vote above Henderson for me.

intresting comment I heard the other day, was that quality, skilful players are becoming less and less due to clubs wanting and producing athletes. How many players would you pay to watch just to watch them, the likes of zola, bergkamp, Henry, Ginola etc. The quote was comparing Henderson to David batty Saying go back 20 years and imagine batty getting the player of the year. If Henderson wins and Kante recently won it (fully deserved) then it only adds to the point he was making.

I'd have to give player of the year to a Liverpool player. One of Henderson, Mane, or van Dijk.

Henderson has been the driving force of the current Liverpool team. As you say, nothing spectacular in his play but he adds impetus to the team. I do think that Mane has been world class though.

To your point about athletes over skillful players. I've heard this on and off for a while. There was a push a few years ago at youth level to get kids back to playing "free football" with no restrictions to let their inner creativity shine. This was down to academies producing identikit players who lacked any creativity in thought or body that could change a game. I think that it is paying off. Alexander-Arnold isn't an average right back. Sancho, Rashford, Hudson-Odoi, and even Ross Barkley all have the ability. I'd pay to watch van Dijk. He has skills, just different than the aforementioned.

As a side David Batty won Rovers player of the year once ahead of Shearer. It was deserved too.

20 minutes in and Rashford has missed an open net from six yards and fluffed a good chance after excellent build up play. I really don’t get what people see on him. He’s a good player but he must be one of the most over rated players I can remember.  Our old mate jack Rodwell on the bench for Sheffield United

Edited by Oldgregg86
6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Jeff Hendrick has left Burnley after they couldnt agree a new deal

And your point is...... surely it isn't we should be looking at signing him as we need to know what division we are in before considering any signings ?

4 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

And your point is...... surely it isn't we should be looking at signing him as we need to know what division we are in before considering any signings ?

Is the transfer window open?

6 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

point being Burnley and Dyche have lost a key player. Dyche cant be happy about that.

• Moderation Lead
14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

point being Burnley and Dyche have lost a key player. Dyche cant be happy about that.

Ask Burnley fans if they consider him a key player. You might not get the answer you think....

• Moderation Lead
35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

lets ask Dyche whether he consider him a key player

I’ve not got his number sadly mate. 
But, I do have the phone number of a few Burnley fans and they won’t be that sad to see him go....