Liverpool deserved to win it last season but somehow City deserved it 1 point more.

Both were immense last season...almost unbelievable.

This season Liverpool just carried on relentless. Brilliant and well deserved.

City had to cope with replacing Kompany (IMO) and missed him in certain games. They could be unstoppable but couldn't find a way to win 1-0 in the games they were average.

Winning week in week out for 2 whole seasons is really not a VAR conspiracy Stuart.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure where to put this. I always find these signs a laugh. But have a new favourite. The Dingles are in town.

*sigh* Yes, all lives matter. That is what the BLM movement is about. No one has said that white lives don't matter. When the police created the blue lives matter, did you or other people complai

Posted Images

A lot of people have mentioned the loss of Kompany but whilst I appreciate that he was a leader and he did score that wonder goal v Leicester, I think his loss is a little overstated in terms of being the MAIN reason. He was physically very much on the wane and played less than half of the League games in each of his last 4 seasons.

More important I think has been the loss of Laporte to injury. Most teams tend to have a main defender and he makes the others beside him look perhaps a tad better than they are, Laporte is a brilliant player but he has suffered a major injury and then with niggles since. None of Stones, Fernandinho (at CB) or Otamendi are top level centre backs but with one next to Laporte it is a different picture. Same I suspect with Liverpool, I think Gomez and Matip (Lovren less so) are decent defenders but take Van Dijk away and the cracks would appear. Or ourselves, Adarabioyo looked the shadow of the player weve seen when not next to Lenihan. And even Williams put together a bit of form with Lenihan next to him.

27 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Winning week in week out for 2 whole seasons is really not a VAR conspiracy Stuart.

Well, it helped turn -1 point into +25 points.

And turned second into first.

Conspiracy is your word but they certainly got the rub of the green when it came to decisions and referrals. Frequently a controversial decision wasn’t event reviewed - or if it was, it was done on the quiet.

Liverpool fans aiming fireworks at the liver building causing a small fire earlier

Reports there’s been a stabbing too, what is wrong with some people?

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Liverpool fans aiming fireworks at the liver building causing a small fire earlier

There will be piles of flowers and floods of tears. The bin dippers love a lament.

I somewhat agree with Stuart, but overall Liverpool are deserving champions.

There's no denying the fact that there were a number of harsh decisions against City early in the season and a number of favourable ones for Liverpool. This allowed them to create a gap that effectively killed the title race and put a huge amount of pressure on City in every match.

Overall, I think Liverpool are the most consistent side, but I still think City at their best (which hasn't been seen often this season) are the best side. 

Some years are like that. Even the match against Chelsea encapsulated that. City were brilliant for 30 minutes of that second half and should have gone ahead, but they simply aren't solid enough at the back.

I'm sure that they will bring in another defender or two in the summer and I fully expect them to win the title next year. Liverpool are a very good side and their ability to grind out results and win when they aren't playing that well is incredibly impressive, but they wouldn't crack my list of top 5 sides that I've seen in the Premier League. 

On 25/06/2020 at 23:28, frosty said:

Congratulations to by far and away the best team this season, thoroughly deserved.

Welcome to the Premier League winners club too. 7 of us now....

4 in the North West, 2 in London, 1 in the East Midlands.

If they keep their manager, Wolves to be the first from the West Midlands?

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I somewhat agree with Stuart, but overall Liverpool are deserving champions.

There's no denying the fact that there were a number of harsh decisions against City early in the season and a number of favourable ones for Liverpool. This allowed them to create a gap that effectively killed the title race and put a huge amount of pressure on City in every match.

Overall, I think Liverpool are the most consistent side, but I still think City at their best (which hasn't been seen often this season) are the best side. 

Some years are like that. Even the match against Chelsea encapsulated that. City were brilliant for 30 minutes of that second half and should have gone ahead, but they simply aren't solid enough at the back.

I'm sure that they will bring in another defender or two in the summer and I fully expect them to win the title next year. Liverpool are a very good side and their ability to grind out results and win when they aren't playing that well is incredibly impressive, but they wouldn't crack my list of top 5 sides that I've seen in the Premier League. 

A fair summation.

The gap between Liverpool and City is greater than Norwich's points total.

Somehow, I think there are no caveats, Liverpool have absolutely crushed the Premier League this year.

And for all its faults, there is zero certainty they will repeat the Premier League victory next season.

Whereas it is one of two in Scotland and Spain, PSG in France, Bayern in Germany, Juventus in Italy, Ajax in the Netherlands, Red Bull in Austria. OK those other leagues should just pack up and the players concentrate on Qatar 22.

10 hours ago, Tom said:

Stabbing is a word that seems to be associated with pretty much every event these days.

Absolutely disgraceful that people even consider taking a blade with them when they go out to something like that.

10 hours ago, Tom said:

Just a building to a lot of them. They probably wouldn’t dream of doing it to their own civic buildings; you know like Guildford cathedral or Preston town hall.

14 hours ago, Stuart said:

They’ve had help. It’s been discussed before and I’ve highlighted the incidents (e.g. clear and obvious non-referrals that don’t make it into the stats) in the games that they happened - feel free to dig back - which is why people (oh so charmingly) say things like “a stuck record”.

Once they got away from City there was no looking back and they certainly capitalised on the breaks they got. But there no denying they got them.

In any case, it’s been about the worst PL season in living memory, and not just because of VAR or COVID.

Nice of you to make your posts so full of personal jibes though, Andy. That says more about you than me so I don’t need to respond in kind.

They weren’t personal jibes at you as such Stuart as I don’t know you. I’m only talking about your continually obsessive remarks about Liverpool. Even City and Utd fans on the whole accept they deserved it. At what point would you stop saying “I’m right and everybody else is wrong”?

I begrudge everything Man United have ever won but I would and have recognised when they have been the best team in the league, which has been very often in the past 25-30 years.

38 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

At what point would you stop saying “I’m right and everybody else is wrong”?

Why does that even need to be a thing?

I don’t expect you to agree with me, nor should you, for some reason, need me to agree with you.

Liverpool fans now claiming (on facebook,of course) that man Utd haven't won the Premier League because prior to 2016 it was "called" Barclays/Carling Premier League.

Not quite grasped the concept of a sponsor/league name 

tenor.gif

Edited by davulsukur
38 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal in the cup semi finals... exciting new world.

The BBC are currently wetting themselves at the prospect of viewing figures for the semi finals and final while the rest of us not supporters of of the 4 are saying same old sh*t again

12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

So, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal in the cup semi finals... exciting new world.

The magic of the cup... won by Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd or Man City in all but two years since 1996.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

The magic of the cup... won by Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd or Man City in all but two years since 1996.

When I first got interested these were the first decade of finalists from memory -

59, Forest v Luton 

60, Rovers v Wolves

61, Spurs v Leicester

62, Spurs V Dingles

63, Man Utd v Leicester

64, West Ham V Preston

65, Liverpool v Leeds

66, Everton v Sheff Wed

67, Spurs V Chelsea

68, Everton v West Brom

69, Man City v Leicester

2 hours ago, DE. said:

Yet in the 25 years before (1970 to 1995), there were 14 different winners.

Pundits can cheerlead all they want about the ‘fantastic modern spectacle’, fitter players and a quicker game? Fine. But the truth is it’s a shadow of what it was as a competitive sport, and all the poorer for it, especially for younger fans that have never known anything different.

Edited by Mattyblue
4 hours ago, DE. said:

I did not know that so I checked. In the last 30 years there have only been 2 finals without one of the above; 1991 - Spurs v. Forest and 2008 - Portsmouth v. Cardiff.

I have never been a big fan of the FA cup, the above may be why.