10 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I did not know that so I checked. In the last 30 years there have only been 2 finals without one of the above; 1991 - Spurs v. Forest and 2008 - Portsmouth v. Cardiff.

I have never been a big fan of the FA cup, the above may be why.

At the risk of sounding like an old git I used to love the FA Cup. Cup final day was huge in most football fans diary with pretty much the whole day on TV devoted to it. We had It's a Knockout, quizzes, meet the players and officials and a host of other things to keep us riveted. Every club played its strongest team from the third round and there was always a giant killer each season. It started to die when we got bloated squads and managers began to disrespect it essentially playing reserve teams. Then we had the FA allowing the Rags to play in the World Club Championship and let them miss the FA Cup to do so. The FA have tried to add some glamour and glitz but have failed and now, even for lower league clubs getting knocked out doesn't seem to matter.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure where to put this. I always find these signs a laugh. But have a new favourite. The Dingles are in town.

*sigh* Yes, all lives matter. That is what the BLM movement is about. No one has said that white lives don't matter. When the police created the blue lives matter, did you or other people complai

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, arbitro said:

At the risk of sounding like an old git I used to love the FA Cup. Cup final day was huge in most football fans diary with pretty much the whole day on TV devoted to it. We had It's a Knockout, quizzes, meet the players and officials and a host of other things to keep us riveted. Every club played its strongest team from the third round and there was always a giant killer each season. It started to die when we got bloated squads and managers began to disrespect it essentially playing reserve teams. Then we had the FA allowing the Rags to play in the World Club Championship and let them miss the FA Cup to do so. The FA have tried to add some glamour and glitz but have failed and now, even for lower league clubs getting knocked out doesn't seem to matter.

That is part of it too. I remember the TV spectacle when I was a kid.

They used to have cameras at the team hotels, followed them on the bus to the ground. Goals of the season. A quiz. It was great.

My early Rovers experiences of the FA cup were the games against Villa and Liverpool. Rovers should have won both. Super Atko's own goal being the most famous incident.

For a butterfly effect moment, if Atkins had not have scored the own goal, Liverpool would not have had a replay, nor would they have drawn 4-4 with Everton in the 5th round which prompted Dalglish to leave. He would then more than likely still been at Liverpool and therefore not taken the job at Ewood.

Atkins had it planned the whole time.

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When I first got interested these were the first decade of finalists from memory -

59, Forest v Luton 

60, Rovers v Wolves

61, Spurs v Leicester

62, Spurs V Dingles

63, Man Utd v Leicester

64, West Ham V Preston

65, Liverpool v Leeds

66, Everton v Sheff Wed

67, Spurs V Chelsea

68, Everton v West Brom

69, Man City v Leicester

Fot the last one (69) we were the first house in the street with a colour telly, had a house full, borrowed chairs etc, dads on chairs, kids sat on the floor in front. Happy days!

22 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Fot the last one (69) we were the first house in the street with a colour telly, had a house full, borrowed chairs etc, dads on chairs, kids sat on the floor in front. Happy days!

It was a dull game, City never really got going, they saved their " Cup Final " performance for the tie at Ewood ! Leicester had already been relegated. Neil Young's goal was the only high point of a drab 90 minutes.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It was a dull game, City never really got going, they saved their " Cup Final " performance for the tie at Ewood ! Leicester had already been relegated. Neil Young's goal was the only high point of a drab 90 minutes.

As a Burnley fan, what is this " Colour " TV of which you speak ? I had to listen to our 1 - 0 win over Crystal Palace this evening on the Home Service ! Just looking forward to the " Daily Sketch " tomorrow, to see where we are in the table ! ? 

Just now, sympatheticclaret said:

As a Burnley fan, what is this " Colour " TV of which you speak ? I had to listen to our 1 - 0 win over Crystal Palace this evening on the Home Service ! Just looking forward to the " Daily Sketch " tomorrow, to see where we are in the table ! ? 

I see you've won a couple then. I wasn't speaking of colour, I watched it in black and white. It was like watching a submarine race, being a Burnley fan you'll know what I mean.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
4 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Last 11 League Games, W 7 D 3 L 1  .... It'll have to do ...!

What your view on Dyche possible leaving? Due to him and chairman arguments over funds? 

What role is Mike Rigg role and what impact has he had? 

If Dyche was to go who would you go for?.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

What your view on Dyche possible leaving? Due to him and chairman arguments over funds? 

What role is Mike Rigg role and what impact has he had? 

If Dyche was to go who would you go for?.

I'd be sad to see him go, obviously ! I can understand both points of view, Dyche wants the investment to progress on the field, whilst Mike Garlick sees himself as the " custodian " of a historic Club. He remembers both the " Orient " game, and the " ITV Digital " fiasco, both of which nearly saw Burnley FC go under ...He's also seen your little " difficulties ", as well as Bolton, Bury and Blackpool's problems, which will have influenced his thinking ....

Ben Gibson was signed for £15m  but has now been banished from Gawthorpe ( 1 EPL appearance, 5 in the Cups ), and is now training with Middlesbrough ! The view of most fans is that Rigg needs to start producing and pronto .... other signings like Brady and Gudmundsson have sparkled in patches, but are injury prone. 

Where would Sean go where he could have such an imprint on a Club ? You can rule the " Big 6 " out, I suspect .... Everton, Newcastle and Wolves think they are " above " his perceived brand of Football . I'm told he's on £3.5m p.a. ( + Bonus ), so I suspect if Aston Villa go down, that may be a possibility. He and Ian Woan share a house near Whalley during the week, whereas he could commute from his home near Kettering, in under an hour to Villa. They are a bigger Club than us, and have infinitely wealthier owners. 

Replacement ? The heart says Paul Cook or Michael Duff, but I honestly don't know .... the names slung around by the media, Alan Pardew or Mark Hughes would be unacceptable to the fans, that's for sure ... 

Edited by sympatheticclaret
4 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

I'd be sad to see him go, obviously ! I can understand both points of view, Dyche wants the investment to progress on the field, whilst Mike Garlick sees himself as the " custodian " of a historic Club. He remembers both the " Orient " game, and the " ITV Digital " fiasco, both of which nearly saw Burnley FC go under ...He's also seen your little " difficulties ", as well as Bolton, Bury and Blackpool's problems, which will have influenced his thinking ....

Ben Gibson was signed for £15m  but has now been banished from Gawthorpe ( 1 EPL appearance, 5 in the Cups ), and is now training with Middlesbrough ! The view of most fans is that Rigg needs to start producing and pronto .... other signings like Brady and Gudmundsson have sparkled in patches, but are injury prone. 

Where would Sean go where he could have such an imprint on a Club ? You can rule the " Big 6 " out, I suspect .... Everton, Newcastle and Wolves think they are " above " his perceived brand of Football . I'm told he's on £3.5m p.a. ( + Bonus ), so I suspect if Aston Villa go down, that may be a possibility. He and Ian Woan share a house near Whalley during the week, whereas he could commute from his home near Kettering, in under an hour to Villa. They are a bigger Club than us, and have infinitely wealthier owners. 

Replacement ? The heart says Paul Cook or Michael Duff, but I honestly don't know .... the names slung around by the media, Alan Pardew or Mark Hughes would be unacceptable to the fans, that's for sure ... 

Unless the wages available to any potential manager is uncompetitive, surely an establishing mid table Premier League team could attract better managers than that. Cook has been under fire at Wigan until recently, and Pardew is a no mark, whilst Hughes is well out of touch.

After watching last nights match, sadly 'that lot' have become what we used to be. Well coached and drilled, clear game plan, every player knowing their role, tactically astute, square pegs in square holes and never looked like conceding once they went ahead.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.... in the words of Jim Royle, 'Possession based football my ar$e' !

11 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

After watching last nights match, sadly 'that lot' have become what we used to be. Well coached and drilled, clear game plan, every player knowing their role, tactically astute, square pegs in square holes and never looked like conceding once they went ahead.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.... in the words of Jim Royle, 'Possession based football my ar$e' !

It's an easy game to play - it's just that some managers insist on complicating it.

13 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Was Rigg behind the Gibson, Brady and Gudmundsson? 

On the replacement for Dyche, Would you want a former player to charge if Dyche does go or would you like go for best manager regarding of fan opinions? would a Foreign manager/head coach be a possible choice?

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Unless the wages available to any potential manager is uncompetitive, surely an establishing mid table Premier League team could attract better managers than that. Cook has been under fire at Wigan until recently, and Pardew is a no mark, whilst Hughes is well out of touch.

who would you suggest cos you clearly have names in mind? 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I dont, I just find it strange that a side that are on course to end their fourth PL season, 2 of which are going to be top half finishes, maybe even a second European finish, with a few assets to build around like McNeil, Pope and Tarkowski, are being namedropped with Pardew, a shite journeyman, Hughes who hasnt been good for a long, long while, Cook who has taken plenty of stick at a struggling Wigan side and Duff who has not managed close to the Premier League.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont, I just find it strange that a side that are on course to end their fourth PL season, 2 of which are going to be top half finishes, maybe even a second European finish, with a few assets to build around like McNeil, Pope and Tarkowski, are being namedropped with Pardew, a shite journeyman, Hughes who hasnt been good for a long, long while, Cook who has taken plenty of stick at a struggling Wigan side and Duff who has not managed close to the Premier League.

Question is what are Burnley's ambitions and long terms. Plus do they have money to spend or will they have to spend McNeil or Pope to balance the books. 

Thats will play a big part of their next appointment and going forward. 

Also what role with Mike Rigg had on the next appointment. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Was Rigg behind the Gibson, Brady and Gudmundsson? 

On the replacement for Dyche, Would you want a former player to charge if Dyche does go or would you like go for best manager regarding of fan opinions? would a Foreign manager/head coach be a possible choice?

Not sure about Rigg's involvement in those signings ...  

Obviously, I'd go for the best manager available, fans were muttering " Sean who ? " when the gravel-voiced wonder was appointed, and look at us now ! To be honest, I don't know must about Foreign football to express a view. If he does go, whoever comes in knows they'll get time, Eddie Howe left for personal reasons, Coyle went off to Bolton, Cotterall was by mutual consent, and Stan Ternent's contract was not renewed ... only Brian Laws has had the dreaded " meeting without Coffee "  since June 1998 !! 

34 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Not sure about Rigg's involvement in those signings ...  

Obviously, I'd go for the best manager available, fans were muttering " Sean who ? " when the gravel-voiced wonder was appointed, and look at us now ! To be honest, I don't know must about Foreign football to express a view. If he does go, whoever comes in knows they'll get time, Eddie Howe left for personal reasons, Coyle went off to Bolton, Cotterall was by mutual consent, and Stan Ternent's contract was not renewed ... only Brian Laws has had the dreaded " meeting without Coffee "  since June 1998 !! 

If Dyche does go, I don't think you'll be short of decent managers applying for the job. You're due a bad 'un mate, fingers crossed.

11 hours ago, Stonesrick said:

We played more interesting football.

Newcastle very impressive tonight. Saint Maximin very good. 

Bournemouth are going down. Players performance and attitude tonight looks like they know it. 

Will they stick with Howe in the championship if they go down? I would say yes

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Newcastle very impressive tonight. Saint Maximin very good. 

Bournemouth are going down. Players performance and attitude tonight looks like they know it. 

Will they stick with Howe in the championship if they go down? I would say yes

I would think so, knows the league and how to get out of it.