• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure where to put this. I always find these signs a laugh. But have a new favourite. The Dingles are in town.

*sigh* Yes, all lives matter. That is what the BLM movement is about. No one has said that white lives don't matter. When the police created the blue lives matter, did you or other people complai

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It’s an odd one isn’t it. Very much a social commentary.

Leeds have reacted unprofessionally but seemingly have treated Carney’s comments on their face rather than patronising her by treating her differently than they would treat a man.

The real problem here is that people seem to think that Twitter is somehow representative of the global population, when in reality it is a cesspit of extreme views and pre/teens who think they are funny/cool and crave notoriety and the immortality of a viral tweet amongst their [s]sheep[/s]. There is less than 5% of the world’s population actually using Twitter. And many of those are duplicate accounts and/or don’t actually post.

People need to stop treating social media as a serious platform for discussion. That ship sailed a long time ago. It’s a place to share tittle tattle and pictures of cats.

People need thicker skins all round. Carney is entitled to her views and Leeds are entitled to their rebuttal. Both should ignore the child-militia of keyboard warriors instead of reacting and giving them oxygen. And that ignores any faux indignation.

On 30/12/2020 at 21:01, Doug said:

The selection process for pundits is flawed, it puts race / gender before ability. 

Bang on Doug.

If you watch the darts you get Laura Turner summarising who knows sod all and Devon Petersen who makes no sense but is black on to tick the PC boxes. Sky is rife with this shite and it's not for the betterment of the broadcasts.

On 30/12/2020 at 23:42, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

What she said was apparently based on the fact his teams historically blow up at the end of the season due to fatigue because of  the high intensity of their play. The Covid break helped Leeds recover. A decent theory and not something she should be castigated for. The fact she is says more about LUFC than her. 

She actually said "they (Leeds) got promoted because of COVID" during a live broadcast.

If she'd said that about us having won the league so convincingly I'd have been ripping too, it's shocking punditry.

12 minutes ago, LDRover said:

She actually said "they (Leeds) got promoted because of COVID" during a live broadcast.

If she'd said that about us having won the league so convincingly I'd have been ripping too, it's shocking punditry.

Personally I think she has a point. Leeds bottled the league every year until 2020.

16 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Leeds have reacted unprofessionally but seemingly have treated Carney’s comments on their face rather than patronising her by treating her differently than they would treat a man.

They've got form for doing this apparently, they've done it to male pundits. It's pathetic dog-whistling to get their more Neanderthal followers to abuse her on Twitter. Unprofessional and needlessly provocative. The article states they didn't expect the unpleasant response from their own fans. They must be stupid then and shouldn't be anywhere near a twitter account if they couldn't foresee what would happen. 

19 minutes ago, Stuart said:

The real problem here is that people seem to think that Twitter is somehow representative of the global population, when in reality it is a cesspit of extreme views and pre/teens who think they are funny/cool and crave notoriety and the immortality of a viral tweet amongst their [s]sheep[/s]. There is less than 5% of the world’s population actually using Twitter. And many of those are duplicate accounts and/or don’t actually post.

A lot of decent people on Twitter, but there is a minority who do as you say.

23 minutes ago, Stuart said:

People need to stop treating social media as a serious platform for discussion. That ship sailed a long time ago. It’s a place to share tittle tattle and pictures of cats.

Disagree. It can be a force for good, lots of good social and political discussion on Twitter, lots of raising awareness of things that matter, fund raising etc. 

27 minutes ago, Stuart said:

People need thicker skins all round. Carney is entitled to her views and Leeds are entitled to their rebuttal. Both should ignore the child-militia of keyboard warriors instead of reacting and giving them oxygen

The abuse thrown her way is vile. If she has hundreds of people abusing her that must hard to ignore. It's LUFC and their minority of scumbag fans calling her a 'slag' etc for having an opinion on football that need a thicker skin. There's no excuse for their actions. 

11 minutes ago, LDRover said:

You think the abuse is acceptable?

The point she was clumsily trying to make was that Bielsa's teams have a habit of blowing up towards the end of the season from good positions due to the intensity his teams play at and the demands he places on them.  She's not the first to say it. It happened to him in France and Spain apparently, and also his first season at Leeds.  Her point was the lockdown gave his team time to recover. It seems a fair point to make. 

54 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It’s an odd one isn’t it. Very much a social commentary.

People need thicker skins all round. Carney is entitled to her views and Leeds are entitled to their rebuttal. Both should ignore the child-militia of keyboard warriors instead of reacting and giving them oxygen. And that ignores any faux indignation.

Very good post .

agree

23 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Personally I think she has a point. Leeds bottled the league every year until 2020.

Come on Stuart, they pissed it by 13 points. Saying they won the league because of COVID is utter bollocks and I reiterate, if it had been said about us in the same scenario would've had us ripping too.

19 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

You think the abuse is acceptable?

The point she was clumsily trying to make was that Bielsa's teams have a habit of blowing up towards the end of the season from good positions due to the intensity his teams play at and the demands he places on them.  She's not the first to say it. It happened to him in France and Spain apparently, and also his first season at Leeds.  Her point was the lockdown gave his team time to recover. It seems a fair point to make. 

The abuse to the level she has isn't acceptable but that's not my point. My point is that she should be taken to task for saying it as any pundit should, regardless of gender.

If Leeds fans have used her gender as a stick to beat her with then more fool them, I just think it's a poor statement to make.

25 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

That's the point she was trying to make, but said something different that was untrue and obviously would cause annoyance within Leeds and their fan base.  That's simply bad punditry. I actually don't think Leeds themselves did much wrong. They used their platform to call her out on it. 

Its no excuse for idiots to throw vile abuse at her on twitter, but unfortunately that's what twitter is like. Look at the abuse most politicians from both sides get on Twitter the minute they comment on anything. 

Edited by Hasta
7 minutes ago, Hasta said:

That's the point she was trying to make, but said something different that was untrue and obviously would cause annoyance within Leeds and their fan base.  That's simply bad punditry. I actually don't think Leeds themselves did much wrong.

What she said wasn't 'wrong', she was just very clumsy with how she said. She was actually making a good point. 

“My only concern would be: would they blow up at the end of the season? We saw that in the last couple of seasons and I actually think they got promoted because of Covid in terms of it gave them a bit of respite. I don’t know whether they would have gone up if they didn’t have that break.”

Just her opinion based on how Bielsa's teams play. What LUFC tweeted was irresponsible. They knew the outcome because they've done it before. 

13 minutes ago, LDRover said:

The abuse to the level she has isn't acceptable but that's not my point. My point is that she should be taken to task for saying it as any pundit should, regardless of gender.

If Leeds fans have used her gender as a stick to beat her with then more fool them, I just think it's a poor statement to make.

Taken out of context it is, but she clearly worded it very badly and didn't intend to say in isolation that they got promoted solely 'because of Covid'. 

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Im fairly new to this story but is that all they did? Repost the video with that comment?

Fair play to them. 

To say they got promoted because of Covid was nonsense and Leeds are within their right to have a bit of a poke back.

Edited by Hasta
2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

They've got form for doing this apparently, they've done it to male pundits. It's pathetic dog-whistling to get their more Neanderthal followers to abuse her on Twitter. Unprofessional and needlessly provocative. The article states they didn't expect the unpleasant response from their own fans. They must be stupid then and shouldn't be anywhere near a twitter account if they couldn't foresee what would happen. 

A lot of decent people on Twitter, but there is a minority who do as you say.

Disagree. It can be a force for good, lots of good social and political discussion on Twitter, lots of raising awareness of things that matter, fund raising etc. 

The abuse thrown her way is vile. If she has hundreds of people abusing her that must hard to ignore. It's LUFC and their minority of scumbag fans calling her a 'slag' etc for having an opinion on football that need a thicker skin. There's no excuse for their actions. 

Twitter is a very very dangerous media, which feeds itself on an anonymous mob-mentality.

Some of the behaviour on here (due to relative anonymity) is bad enough but it is amplified greatly across a world where a trending hashtag and user tag can very quickly whip up an sjw army that see someone losing their job and/or livelihood as a trophy.

Yes, there are some good people on Twitter but they are a minority, who not only don’t stand against the ‘trend’, and dangerously add credibility to a medium that most people in the world do not use but suffer the consequences of the institutional pandering to it.

There will be someone in Leeds media department hoping that the club continue with their current position on the matter and they aren’t made a scapegoat.

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

Come on Stuart, they pissed it by 13 points. Saying they won the league because of COVID is utter bollocks and I reiterate, if it had been said about us in the same scenario would've had us ripping too.

In the end they did. Are you saying Leeds weren’t perennial bottlers?

Liverpool had a similar leg-up last season thanks to the introduction of VAR and the teething problems being ironed out - mainly during City games. (And while that is mostly tongue in cheek, City were certainly damaged psychologically in a sport where confidence is everything).

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

In the end they did. Are you saying Leeds weren’t perennial bottlers?

Aside from the previous season with the Derby play off, I can't think of many other season they got themselves in pole position then bottled it. They've been mediocre like us.

2 hours ago, LDRover said:

I'd hope you wouldn't send her rape and death threats.

'Ripping' isn't what we're talking about, it's proper vitriolic abuse, which has noticeably not been sent to Merson or Ferdinand or Hasselbaink who all said similar back in May. I wonder what's different about Karen Carney?

Leeds last season had after an early year wobble found a second wind last season and were on the back of 5 straight wins going into lockdown, before losing their first game back following the restart. They also went up with plenty to spare. To suggest that they anything but fully deserved promotion or to imply that they would have bottled it without covid would be grossly unfair. Sane with Liverpool who were quite simply by far the best side around last season, conspiracy theories aside.

19 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Twitter is a very very dangerous media, which feeds itself on an anonymous mob-mentality.

Some of the behaviour on here (due to relative anonymity) is bad enough but it is amplified greatly

Twitter is great for quick info on breaking stories or to find our news about bands, sports etc.. but is pretty toxic. 

I once followed a regular poster off here as he seemed pretty sensible on her, but on there he was calling any person who didn't agree with his views every 4-letter insult you could think of.  If someone in the public eye posted something he didn't agree with they got it to.

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

I'd hope you wouldn't send her rape and death threats.

'Ripping' isn't what we're talking about, it's proper vitriolic abuse, which has noticeably not been sent to Merson or Ferdinand or Hasselbaink who all said similar back in May. I wonder what's different about Karen Carney?

The people doing that are absolute grade 1  idiots and it's not acceptable. @LDRoverhas already stated that.

That's not Leeds fault though. They posted a response that was of a similar Ilk to that which they posted previously to other pundits. 

The problem is a very small proportion of Leeds fans and Twitter in general.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Leeds last season had after an early year wobble found a second wind last season and were on the back of 5 straight wins going into lockdown, before losing their first game back following the restart. They also went up with plenty to spare. To suggest that they anything but fully deserved promotion or to imply that they would have bottled it without covid would be grossly unfair. Sane with Liverpool who were quite simply by far the best side around last season, conspiracy theories aside.

Carney didn't say any of that. She related it to fitness and 'blow out', anowt to do with 'bottling'