5 hours ago, Tom said:

Lee Mason has just had an absolute shocker 

Blew his whistle to take a free kick, Brighton take it and he blows again on the way into the net so he disallows it.

Then he allows it.

Then tries to see if there’s an offside; there isn’t. 

Eventually disallows it again 

Sets a very dangerous precedent that.

Having blown his whistle and (according to the player interviewed afterwards) having told the player he could take it, saw the ball was going in and attempted to blow his whistle again before it crossed the line.

Very dodgy indeed. I wouldn't let him referee again this season.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure where to put this. I always find these signs a laugh. But have a new favourite. The Dingles are in town.

*sigh* Yes, all lives matter. That is what the BLM movement is about. No one has said that white lives don't matter. When the police created the blue lives matter, did you or other people complai

Posted Images

Mason has really cocked up here and for somebody with his experience his error is unforgivable. The normal process at 'ceremonial' free kicks would be to offer the taker the option of a quick one or wait until the wall is managed and gets them back ten yards. If he wants quick one quite simply blow the whistle to restart the game and cover yourself. It's up to the opposition to be ready. He allowed Dunk to take a quick one and blew to allow this. I think he panicked when he saw Johnstone still organising the wall and blew again to stop the game. VAR got involved because Mason blew before the ball went into the goal and effectively stopped the game by doing so which is contrary to law and a clear and obvious error. Mason was so flustered that he lost control of himself and his emotions which added to the confusion. As far as law application is concerned they got the right outcome but it was avoidable and will go down as one of the worst pieces of refereeing I have seen.

19 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Nice to see the Clarettes have got their pants round their ankles and are taking a bit of a pasting.

The game before Spurs against West Brom was the worst performance I've seen in a decade - maybe even 2. This one wasn't any better. It was a strong Spurs team and I knew when I saw the line ups we'd struggle and most likely get well beaten. It's not the scoreline that worries me but the nature of this performance and the one prior to it. We looked jaded, bereft of ideas and lacking in that base ability we've always had under Dyche to grind out the results needed. 

We've got Leicester, Arsenal and Everton next 3 so can't see many, if any, points there. The only saving grace might be that we have Southampton and Newcastle at the start of April with Fulham, Leeds and Sheff Utd in May. I actually think of the bottom 6, allowing the Sheffield and Brom have gone, we are the the most likely to get pulled in now to replace Fulham -  though Fulham's remaining fixtures are arguably tougher than ours!

We may well be seeing you next season.

1 hour ago, longsiders1882 said:

The game before Spurs against West Brom was the worst performance I've seen in a decade - maybe even 2. This one wasn't any better. It was a strong Spurs team and I knew when I saw the line ups we'd struggle and most likely get well beaten. It's not the scoreline that worries me but the nature of this performance and the one prior to it. We looked jaded, bereft of ideas and lacking in that base ability we've always had under Dyche to grind out the results needed. 

We've got Leicester, Arsenal and Everton next 3 so can't see many, if any, points there. The only saving grace might be that we have Southampton and Newcastle at the start of April with Fulham, Leeds and Sheff Utd in May. I actually think of the bottom 6, allowing the Sheffield and Brom have gone, we are the the most likely to get pulled in now to replace Fulham -  though Fulham's remaining fixtures are arguably tougher than ours!

We may well be seeing you next season.

I think you're like us, you've just about got enough in the points bank to stay clear, although it could be close.

Any thoughts on the annual caning from most of the big boys and the scramble to get to 35 points each year ? We are desperate to get back up, mainly for financial reasons, but we'd be in exactly the same boat. It doesn't sound like much fun to me. Last time we were in the Prem we took some bangings away from home but you could usually rely on Mark Hughes and Big Sam finding a way to give the big boys a hard time at Ewood. That was 10 years ago, it's got a lot harder since then.

Unless the usual suspects bugger off I can't see it getting any better any time soon.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

@longsiders1882You never know which Spurs time you're going to face. You drew the unplayable straw. Dyche seems to be a lot of peoples' favourite to take over at Newcastle. The way the results are going for both teams, it would appear the quicker it happens the better.

The Premier League seems to always have a team you think is dead and gone, suddenly turn it around and escape. It could be West Brom this season. 

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think you're like us, you've just about got enough in the points bank to stay clear, although it could be close.

Any thoughts on the annual caning from most of the big boys and the scramble to get to 35 points each year ? We are desperate to get back up, mainly for financial reasons, but we'd be in exactly the same boat. It doesn't sound like much fun to me. Last time we were in the Prem we took some bangings away from home but you could usually rely on Mark Hughes and Big Sam finding a way to give the big boys a hard time at Ewood. That was 10 years ago, it's got a lot harder since then.

Unless the usual suspects bugger off I can't see it getting any better any time soon.

Now we have the new owners then as a "business" we have to stay up. As a fan I've largely enjoyed this time in the Premier League. We've had a couple of decent seasons. That said I got more fun in the Championship overall. I've watched the team in all 4 divisions and can honestly say as a fan the enjoyment is no less if you are winning games in the 4th Division. Our most recent season in the Championship under Dyche was head and shoulders my favourite as a fan - beating you guys, the unbeaten run, going up as Champions - but it was only just better than than 91/2 4th Division season and title.

As a fan I'd rather be in a league where at the start of each season I genuinely believe we have a chance of competing at the top end. Also I'd rather be playing games that I really care about (you guys, PNE etc). As a business now they have to move heaven and earth to just stay up.

17 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Div 4 eh longsider.....proud to say we've never suffered the indignity !😉

Worse things happen at sea and at times it was oddly fun to be honest, a lot less sterile than todays game.

28 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Worse things happen at sea and at times it was oddly fun to be honest, a lot less sterile than todays game.

U would rather drop a division to be competitive? Isnt the whole point of the championship to get into the big league?

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Div 4 eh longsider.....proud to say we've never suffered the indignity !😉

Four divisions? Wtf? I never knew there were four, I’ve always assumed that there were just the three?

😂

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

U would rather drop a division to be competitive? Isnt the whole point of the championship to get into the big league?

Yes and no. If we lived in a world where the financial loss wasn't so devastating then yo yoing wouldn't be a bad thing. You come down, rebuild, go again. Have the excitement of the play offs even in les great seasons -  this assumes not falling any further. I'd actually rather we used the position we are in to have a go in the cups and get the buzz out of some decent cup runs, that would offset the annual disappointment of our target merely being 17th or better. I'm not unrealistic, we can't compete financially with half the clubs in the championship let alone the PL so lets have a go where theres always a sniff of a chance, one off cup games.

1 minute ago, longsiders1882 said:

Yes and no. If we lived in a world where the financial loss wasn't so devastating then yo yoing wouldn't be a bad thing. You come down, rebuild, go again. Have the excitement of the play offs even in les great seasons -  this assumes not falling any further. I'd actually rather we used the position we are in to have a go in the cups and get the buzz out of some decent cup runs, that would offset the annual disappointment of our target merely being 17th or better. I'm not unrealistic, we can't compete financially with half the clubs in the championship let alone the PL so lets have a go where theres always a sniff of a chance, one off cup games.

For me it's all about getting entertained and jumping up out of your seat whatever level you're at. Rovers had some great game in the old Div 3 that us oldtimers still talk about now.

I watch a rugby league team in summer. You can chat with the lads at the bar after the game, no big time Charlies or idiots. Just working lads who are prepared to put their bodies on the line for £250 winning pay. I get as much pleasure when they win as I do when Rovers win.

5 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

I actually agree with the bulk of what you’re saying. It was very enjoyable watching the Rovers in League 1. Big fish in a small pool and all that. Often in away matches we had as many supporters there as the team we were playing. We were always at, or around, the top of the league and the night at Doncaster, when we clinched promotion, was one to be remembered. Didn’t really matter that it was tier three, it was exciting being at the right end of the table after all the shenanigans of Venky’s reign at that point. It was like being back in the early to mid seventies all over again.

If Rovers were to get back to the PL, I honestly don’t think I would go, other than the odd home game and possibly one or two away. The football that is played today is not the football I knew and grew up with. Backwards-sideways-backwards, pinging around like a pinball machine, players continually feigning injury and generally cheating from the moment they enter the pitch. Obscene wages and so on. 

Then there’s the style of football we would have to choose in an attempt to stay up. Do we try and pass the thing to death and try to emulate the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea & Co or do we adopt the Sheffield United/Burnley method and try to vary it, be very fit and organised and muscle our way through games. Without substantial funds being introduced, I would have said that the latter option be preferred but I’m not even sure about that any more. It’s becoming clear that, as each season passes, the PL is for the big boys only. Now Wolves have established themselves and teams like Leeds are back there, it’s a league full of city teams. Every single club, except Burnley, is a city club and even if teams like Bournemouth and Watford get there, it’s only a matter time until they are relegated.

In a perverse way, it’s like there’s no real point attempting to get there. A couple of years at most and we’d be back down. All rather depressing.

44 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I actually agree with the bulk of what you’re saying. It was very enjoyable watching the Rovers in League 1. Big fish in a small pool and all that. Often in away matches we had as many supporters there as the team we were playing. We were always at, or around, the top of the league and the night at Doncaster, when we clinched promotion, was one to be remembered. Didn’t really matter that it was tier three, it was exciting being at the right end of the table after all the shenanigans of Venky’s reign at that point. It was like being back in the early to mid seventies all over again.

If Rovers were to get back to the PL, I honestly don’t think I would go, other than the odd home game and possibly one or two away. The football that is played today is not the football I knew and grew up with. Backwards-sideways-backwards, pinging around like a pinball machine, players continually feigning injury and generally cheating from the moment they enter the pitch. Obscene wages and so on. 

Then there’s the style of football we would have to choose in an attempt to stay up. Do we try and pass the thing to death and try to emulate the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea & Co or do we adopt the Sheffield United/Burnley method and try to vary it, be very fit and organised and muscle our way through games. Without substantial funds being introduced, I would have said that the latter option be preferred but I’m not even sure about that any more. It’s becoming clear that, as each season passes, the PL is for the big boys only. Now Wolves have established themselves and teams like Leeds are back there, it’s a league full of city teams. Every single club, except Burnley, is a city club and even if teams like Bournemouth and Watford get there, it’s only a matter time until they are relegated.

In a perverse way, it’s like there’s no real point attempting to get there. A couple of years at most and we’d be back down. All rather depressing.

Pretty scary when you look at this:

Town Population Status Club 2020-21
1  London 8,173,941 City Fulham
3  London 8,173,941 City Chelsea
London 8,173,941 City Tottenham Hotspur
London 8,173,941 City West Ham United
7 London 8,173,941 City Arsenal
8 London 8,173,941 City Crystal Palace
13 Birmingham 1,085,810 City Aston Villa
15 Liverpool 552,267 City Everton
16 Liverpool 552,267 City Liverpool
20 Sheffield 518,090 City Sheffield United
21 Manchester 510,746 City Manchester City
22 Manchester 510,746 City Manchester United
23 Leeds 474,632 City Leeds United
24 Leicester 443,760 City Leicester City
32 Newcastle 268,064 City Newcastle United
33 Wolverhampton 265,178 City Wolverhampton Wanderers
35 Southampton 253,651 City Southampton
38 Brighton and Hove 229,700 City Brighton & Hove Albion
75 West Bromwich 91,930 Town West Bromwich Albion
79 Burnley 81,548 Town Burnley

And realise the size of the task as a town we face - 78 teams in areas with bigger populations than Burnley. Just 13 clubs in the 92 with a smaller population than Burnley

Edited by longsiders1882

Population wise, Blackburn is no better really. Yes, Blackburn is bigger than Burnley but Burnley has a far bigger catchment area when you factor in places like Rossendale, the towns en route to Skipton, the towns south east of Skipton down as far as Keighley and then the areas that are split roughly 50/50 with Rovers, ie. Ribble Valley and Hyndburn. Further factor in that we are hemmed in on three sides by Preston, Burnley and Bolton areas of support and we actually worse off than you.

1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

That's the spirit 😁

It's the journey not the destination.

Klopp has to take a huge amount of responsibility for Liverpools decline.  His refusal in the summer to strengthen on a title winning team has cost them.  Thiago hasn't worked out.  The old saying about standing still sends u only one way

6 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Klopp has to take a huge amount of responsibility for Liverpools decline.  His refusal in the summer to strengthen on a title winning team has cost them.  Thiago hasn't worked out.  The old saying about standing still sends u only one way

Klopp did strengthen his team tho. But he should have sign a quality centre back. He didnt. Now it cost him. 

Jota being injured hasnt help him but they happen

Liverpool's last 7 home games:

1-1, 0-0, 0-1, 0-1, 1-4, 0-2, 0-1.

2 pts from 21.

TM has at least achieved one of his goals, it's official, we finally play football like Liverpool. 

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Tuchel has very much vindicated the much criticised decision to sack Lampard.

Is Mount better than Grealish, Sterling, Rashford, Foden, Sancho etc to play in an advanced position? No.

Not for me. Took his goal well tonight but Liverpool were sloppy in letting him get in the shot.

28 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Dunno, I think his signings were good at the time, unfortunate that they were both out with injuries for so long. Should have signed another cb in the summer mind. 

Klopps main issue is not having another way of playing. It's not been working for the last couple of months but hes not changed anything tactically. Still playing a high line with his decimated defence