6 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Dunno, I think his signings were good at the time, unfortunate that they were both out with injuries for so long. Should have signed another cb in the summer mind. 

Klopps main issue is not having another way of playing. It's not been working for the last couple of months but hes not changed anything tactically. Still playing a high line with his decimated defence 

Without salah and mane the drop in quality is huge. Jota is pretty ordinary.  They should have pushed the boat out for a player like sancho

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure where to put this. I always find these signs a laugh. But have a new favourite. The Dingles are in town.

*sigh* Yes, all lives matter. That is what the BLM movement is about. No one has said that white lives don't matter. When the police created the blue lives matter, did you or other people complai

Posted Images

Mount offers something off the ball thatcthe others don't. Hes a pretty useful player to have. Hes not in the same class as grealish sancho sterling rashford foden or maddison of course.  

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would play Mount, Foden and Rice in midfield 3 with Sancho right, Kane centre and Sterling left in front 3

Grealish has to play 

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would play Mount, Foden and Rice in midfield 3 with Sancho right, Kane centre and Sterling left in front 3

Southgate isn’t ballsy enough to do that, though I agree that he should be playing a bold midfield like that. 
My concern though is that he bricks it and plays Rice and Henderson 🤢

The issue in football, or in any other sport or competition is sooner or later people learn to play Vs an unstoppable team.  Arsenal's unbeatable team, Barcelona and their imperious team from a few years ago - eventually tactics are developed to counteract it. Add in teams or managers need changing roughly every 3-4 years or so and it's pretty much guaranteed top teams aren't going to last. Liverpool have had some big injury problems on top of that which really has been the final nail in the coffin. Not having quality replacements available up top or at the back has made a huge difference to them. 

7 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Southgate isn’t ballsy enough to do that, though I agree that he should be playing a bold midfield like that. 

Just like Mowbray with Trybull and Evans. Too conservative by far, too concerned in what the opposition are likely to do.

People highlighting various injuries as to why liverpool are on a bad run but the main reason imo is Henderson missing from midfield. They had injuries but were still comfortably top 4 before he moved into defence. Without him, midfield is so lightweight. 

TAA isnt the strongest defensively (which is why I wouldnt start him for england) and salah can be lazy tracking back which means attacking down liverpool's right is so easy. That was covered up by Hendersen when he was in midfield. I'd sat Hendersen is a bigger miss to the team than anyone else in the squad. The only other player who could solve their midfield is fabinho but he's tied up at CB atm. 

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Home advantage means next to nothing at the moment.

A couple of games ago one of the sky pundits said "but liverpool are kicking into the kop second half so anything could happen". I didnt know whether to laugh or chuck my TV out the window. 

10 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I think Henderson has to play, he is an underated player, a leader and Liverpool have really gone into crisis without him in midfield.

Rice is nothing special although if it is in front of a back 4 and allows 3 of Foden, Grealish, Sterling and Sancho to play behind Kane, giving added protection then I am ok with that.

• Moderation Lead
29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think Henderson has to play, he is an underated player, a leader and Liverpool have really gone into crisis without him in midfield.

Rice is nothing special although if it is in front of a back 4 and allows 3 of Foden, Grealish, Sterling and Sancho to play behind Kane, giving added protection then I am ok with that.

No issues with Henderson playing tbf, it’s more I don’t want him and Rice together, it’s far too negative.

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Tuchel has very much vindicated the much criticised decision to sack Lampard.

Is Mount better than Grealish, Sterling, Rashford, Foden, Sancho etc to play in an advanced position? No.

Yep on Tuchel. As every game passes is becomes even more obvious that Lampard was out of his depth. He jumped to Chelsea too early but I don't blame him for trying. He's ambitious, competitive, and has the confidence that he can succeed. He may yet turn good but he needs to spend a few years earning his corn. Ewood maybe? - Not likely I know.

As for Liverpool the injury line is true yet their front 3 have forgotten that they score goals by getting into the box. Salah and Mane spent most of last night hugging the touchline, and Firmino just past the centre circle. 

They seem to lack purpose. Lost of neat possession then they get to the edge of the box and pass it back to the halfway line. Rinse and repeat. I think part of it is as has been said; teams have figured them out. Sit deep and close the spaces between defenders. If teams do that they can't play intricate passes in and around the box nor can their full backs cross into open spaces. Klopp hasn't yet worked out how to counter this, although it is hard to do. I think that he brought in Thiago to switch up how they play but missing personnel put pay to utilising him properly.   

Oddly they played very well against Leipzig the other week by playing a lot of long balls. Unless they have an instant and dramatic turn in form they'll have to win the Champs League to qualify for next year's competition.

Mount was excellent last night. He can play but he isn't as good as any of those you listed. Centre half perhaps? England are short there.

Empty stadium or not, it's quite remarkable that last season's run-away champions have lost 5 consecutive home games for the first time in their long history. Totally gob-smacking.

Lampard is an interesting case really. His year at Derby was fairly unremarkable, as was his time at Chelsea where it was clear that he wasnt necessarily getting everything out of the players at his disposal, Tuchel tactically is lightyears ahead and has really impressed.

The fact that he was at Chelsea and also that he is Frank Lampard undoubtedly hugely boosts his reputation but I do wonder where he goes from here. Purely based on his managerial career, does he warrant a Premier League job next or to turn his nose up at clubs like ours? I would say no and would have doubts myself about his credentials. But I would be surprised if his next job isnt a Premier League one due to his name.

54 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

No issues with Henderson playing tbf, it’s more I don’t want him and Rice together, it’s far too negative.

I wouldnt necessarily mind that as a solid base if it meant that we could have Kane, Sterling, Foden and Grealish/Sancho all further advanced. Assuming that he goes with a back 3 though then that would be far too defensive.

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I wouldnt necessarily mind that as a solid base if it meant that we could have Kane, Sterling, Foden and Grealish/Sancho all further advanced. Assuming that he goes with a back 3 though then that would be far too defensive.

Why do you need 2 sitting midfielders for? 

We should be dominating teams with players like Mount, Foden or Maddison who 2 players could play next to Rice or Henderson. 

The front 3 picks itself for me

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

We should be dominating teams with players like Mount, Foden or Maddison who 2 players could play next to Rice or Henderson. 

Not necessarily.  Like I said grealish HAS to be in there. Hes probably the closest thing we have had to gazza for years 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think most of our attacking players are best in the final third, not many of them are ones who will necessary control games, and I feel that Henderson and Rice would provide 4 of them with a platform and the freedom to do damage in the final third. Mount played within the front 3 yesterday and often does, Foden usually plays from the right and Maddison again is not a traditional central midfielder.

I suspect when we go with a back 3, Henderson and Rice in CM and only 3 attacking players, the rhetoric will change anyway.

23 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Not necessarily.  Like I said grealish HAS to be in there. Hes probably the closest thing we have had to gazza for years 

Like I said yesterday not a starter for me

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think most of our attacking players are best in the final third, not many of them are ones who will necessary control games, and I feel that Henderson and Rice would provide 4 of them with a platform and the freedom to do damage in the final third. Mount played within the front 3 yesterday and often does, Foden usually plays from the right and Maddison again is not a traditional central midfielder.

I suspect when we go with a back 3, Henderson and Rice in CM and only 3 attacking players, the rhetoric will change anyway.

Mount and Foden wouldnt be playing so deep as Rice but like 2 number 10's with the front 3. 

Why be so defensive? 

Let's attack teams and play on the front foot

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Lampard is an interesting case really. His year at Derby was fairly unremarkable, as was his time at Chelsea where it was clear that he wasnt necessarily getting everything out of the players at his disposal, Tuchel tactically is lightyears ahead and has really impressed.

The fact that he was at Chelsea and also that he is Frank Lampard undoubtedly hugely boosts his reputation but I do wonder where he goes from here. Purely based on his managerial career, does he warrant a Premier League job next or to turn his nose up at clubs like ours? I would say no and would have doubts myself about his credentials. But I would be surprised if his next job isnt a Premier League one due to his name.

Lampard shouldn't be offered the Rovers job. He's not experienced (or successful) enough.

He needs to go back to basics and get a L1 / L2 job to learn the ropes where his name carries some weight.

5 hours ago, roverandout said:

Genuinely think anybody without Grealish in their starting 11 simply can't have been paying much attention this year.

He was good before but now he is about the best player in England. We all get tired of England struggling to break down highly defensive teams. Passing it from side to side.

Enter Jack Grealish. It's a long time since I've seen a player with the bravery he has on the ball. Every time he gets it he drives forwards and commits his man. Either beats them, releases someone or wins a free kick. (I'd find this part annoying if he weren't English). First name on the team sheet along with Kane for me.