Anticipated as much. Which is why it was important that we removed Mowbray asap to give ourselves a head start in a tough competitive market. 3-4 weeks ago we'd have been a lot more attractive than we are now, especially with the West Brom job now vacant. 

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure where to put this. I always find these signs a laugh. But have a new favourite. The Dingles are in town.

*sigh* Yes, all lives matter. That is what the BLM movement is about. No one has said that white lives don't matter. When the police created the blue lives matter, did you or other people complai

Posted Images

"If I were to stay and achieve promotion next season the expectation would be for me to continue for at least another season and, sadly, that is not a commitment I feel able to make at this stage of my career."

Got to admire his bravado, basically he has to quit because he’s too good and obviously would have succeeded and then have to let them down 

Allardyce obviously didn't fancy another go in the Championship. I think his stint at West Brom will have damaged his brand somewhat, as he wasn't even able to get them defensively sound and results were mostly poor with a few exceptions. That aura of invincibility he had as a firefighter is gone now, so I think this could be his last job if he doesn't want to drop down divisions. 

13 minutes ago, DE. said:

Allardyce obviously didn't fancy another go in the Championship. I think his stint at West Brom will have damaged his brand somewhat, as he wasn't even able to get them defensively sound and results were mostly poor with a few exceptions. That aura of invincibility he had as a firefighter is gone now, so I think this could be his last job if he doesn't want to drop down divisions. 

I think he got them playing a lot better and he made a couple of very good loan signings. One vital ingredient was missing - they didn’t have much luck. 

15 minutes ago, DE. said:

The inability to do transfer business as he would have liked in January due to Brexit and the pandemic killed him. As such, I'm surprised he took the job and tarnished his record , as he would have known about the risk of this happening 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think he got them playing a lot better and he made a couple of very good loan signings. One vital ingredient was missing - they didn’t have much luck. 

Allardyce didn't look like he had the enthusiasm. He took over when they were second from bottom and unless they win and Fulham lose on Sunday they'll finish second from bottom.

His points tally is less than 1 per game.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Allardyce is the kind of manager you employ when you refuse to accept luck as an excuse tbf. He got them playing better towards the end, but it took far too long for him to have his usual impact. A difficult January obviously didn't help. 

Compare to when he was parachuted in at Sunderland and it's night and day. I thought that was a hopeless cause but he turned them around incredibly fast. He couldn't do it with the same speed this time around, for whatever reason. 

• Moderation Lead

I think the main reason he failed was due to the quality of the squad. Quite a weak one there tbh, barring a few players.

Posted (edited)

Looking at the PL hall of fame stuff, you wouldn't even think Shearer player for Rovers. White washed. He's in a bloody Newcastle jersey in the actual graphic to announce it! 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Looking at the PL hall of fame stuff, you wouldn't even think Shearer player for Rovers. White washed. He's in a bloody Newcastle jersey in the actual graphic to announce it! 

The media, sky in particular, do their very best to remove our title win from the history books.

Looking on the website on Shearers profile, he at least mentions the title win as a career highlight (and there is at least 1 picture of him in a Rovers shirt)

6 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

50 odd penalties Shearer. Andy Cole took none.

A man u supporting colleague at the time reckoned Andy Cole couldn't jump and needed five chances for every goal!

6 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

A man u supporting colleague at the time reckoned Andy Cole couldn't jump and needed five chances for every goal!

So did Hoddle. How wrong they are. Did they expect a thousand goals?

22 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

50 odd penalties Shearer. Andy Cole took none.

I wouldn't have Cole in instead of Shearer, but you could make the case for him to be ahead of Beckham or Bergkamp. 

Viera absolutely robbed though. You would think with all this knee taking , they would have taken this opportunity to deservedly have him in there. Could have been ahead of the 2 above, Lampard or Gerrard. 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't have Cole in instead of Shearer, but you could make the case for him to be ahead of Beckham or Bergkamp. 

Viera absolutely robbed though. You would think with all this knee taking , they would have taken this opportunity to deservedly have him in there. Could have been ahead of the 2 above, Lampard or Gerrard. 

Ahead of Lampard 

28 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Nuno leaving wolves 

Established Wolves in the Premier League (granted with a sizeable budget and an excellent pool of players coming their way). Time is up after four years, might have just begun to turn a little bit perhaps in terms of their top half and European ambitions. Four years is a decent spell, and he's been successful.

Meanwhile, over at Rovers... ♻️

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I've always wondered if it was Shearer or the media that are the main driving force. Seem to think Shearer barely mentioned us until the 20 years mark. 

Tbf he was never disrespectful and complimented the club if asked but you'd have hard pressed to know that he actually won something if you weren't a Rovers fan...

Why is Nuno leaving - pushed out or going elsewhere?

He's done a superb job at Wolves - pleasant, intelligent man too . 

Goes without saying I'd welcome him with open arms at Ewood

Dream on jim....

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Why is Nuno leaving - pushed out or going elsewhere?

He's done a superb job at Wolves - pleasant, intelligent man too . 

Goes without saying I'd welcome him with open arms at Ewood

Dream on jim....

Wolves have clued up and ambitious people running them. They will probably have been monitoring things in recent months and will detect decline and rot setting in, probably speak to various players and take advice from people on the ground and have the foresight to make a change before it becomes a problem and to keep their upward momentum going.

There's no shame in an amicable parting of the ways for past successful managers once rot starts to set in and the players tire of the same manager and coaches. We reached that point 12 months ago but in the void at Ewood the manager gets to stay on because there's nobody to make a decision. Like with all his predecessors (bar Lambert) Mowbray knows he won't get a better job than this so won't entertain walking away with dignity. Instead it is dig in and wait to be forced out through unpleasant means with the club in dire straits.

Wolves and Leicester got the decent foreign owners. We got the dregs.

Edited by JHRover