• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure where to put this. I always find these signs a laugh. But have a new favourite. The Dingles are in town.

*sigh* Yes, all lives matter. That is what the BLM movement is about. No one has said that white lives don't matter. When the police created the blue lives matter, did you or other people complai

Posted Images

Was flicking back and forth between the end of the golf and the 2nd half of the Burnley game and I thought Burnley were shocking, they approached it like a non League side playing a Premier League side in the cup, nicking an early goal then trying to hang on for grim death. On the day they got away with it as Palace dominated but couldnt hit a cow's arse with a banjo in front of goal.

The Dingles seem to be riding their luck at the moment catching Chelsea on a day when they were reduced to 9 men, nicking an injury time equaliser against Spurs and catching both Spurs and Palace on days when they spurned numerous opportunities to win.

Hopefully they cant carry on like that over the course of a season.

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

The premiership is shytefest. No technique. No flair. La liga is technically light years ahead

The Premier League may lack technical quality on occasion but overall its definitely the most entertaining and competitive. Over the course of a season the best teams prevail but on any given afternoon anyone can beat anyone else.

That rarely happens in La Liga and Real and Barcelona regularly run in cricket scores because the majority of the games simply arent competitive.

Browsing through the paper I found some remarks by Mark Hughes on Mourinho's refusal to shake hands:

"I pushed him because he was in my technical area."

What? Are these people grown men or children? If one of my lads had come home from school with that sort of comment he'd have got short shrift. 

Only the second time this season I've bothered to look at the PL. A good decision. I doubt I'll bother again for some time.

Pathetic. Spoilt. Brats. 

Edited by Paul
23 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I thought that was a yellow at worst yesterday, for me Mane was perfectly entitled to go for the ball and the keeper ducked his head right down foolishly attempting to head the ball. I wouldnt even have quibbled if the referee had produced no card deeming it an accidental collision.

By the same token I can see why the ref pulled out a red in the current climate. From the bits of the Premiership I've seen this season its turning into a bit of a joke and a non contact sport. Virtually every foul is deemed a yellow card offence as are what I would consider to be perfectly timed challenges which take the ball clean as a whistle first but which cause some element of contact with the opponent on the follow through.

I wonder if we will ever agree on anything Rev! Mane was perfectly entitled to go for the ball---- one head against another. not one head against a boot! Ball was too high for kicking.

Red card every day of the week, ref got it right.

If you don't think that was dangerous how come the keeper was carried off and too no further part in the game?

Just now, JacknOry said:

Hodgson would be an odd choice in my opinion. Go for someone up and coming like Dyche if he would leave.

To be honest Palace are a muddled club. In theory should be a good opportunity for a bright young manager to build something up as they have the benefit of being London based and have spent decent money in recent years, yet keep getting managerial appointments wrong.

Holloway got them up then left after a few games. Pulis worked wonders then walked out suddenly leaving them in a mess. Then they appointed Warnock which didn't work. Pardew was their long term target yet they fired him off. Allardyce was ideal for them, kept them up, but he seems to have treated it as a short term fix to rehabilitate his reputation. Then they had all summer to get a new man with Dyche heavily linked and chose to go with the big gamble that was De Boer and boot him out very quickly, and now if they go for Hodgson who is 70 and himself only likely to be around for the short term.

I'd like to see them go for Dyche but given they ignored him in the summer he might not be tempted. Then again I'd like to see his reaction if a bigger and richer club really tried to get him because I don't think that's ever happened whilst he's been at Burnley. Even now I'd say Palace are a better career option than staying at Burnley for another 12 months. If he goes there, keeps them up he'd have a much stronger reputation.

Just now, JHRover said:

To be honest Palace are a muddled club. In theory should be a good opportunity for a bright young manager to build something up as they have the benefit of being London based and have spent decent money in recent years, yet keep getting managerial appointments wrong.

Holloway got them up then left after a few games. Pulis worked wonders then walked out suddenly leaving them in a mess. Then they appointed Warnock which didn't work. Pardew was their long term target yet they fired him off. Allardyce was ideal for them, kept them up, but he seems to have treated it as a short term fix to rehabilitate his reputation. Then they had all summer to get a new man with Dyche heavily linked and chose to go with the big gamble that was De Boer and boot him out very quickly, and now if they go for Hodgson who is 70 and himself only likely to be around for the short term.

I'd like to see them go for Dyche but given they ignored him in the summer he might not be tempted. Then again I'd like to see his reaction if a bigger and richer club really tried to get him because I don't think that's ever happened whilst he's been at Burnley. Even now I'd say Palace are a better career option than staying at Burnley for another 12 months. If he goes there, keeps them up he'd have a much stronger reputation.

Completely agree - Though I guess Dyche will also factor in the fact that get it wrong at Palace and he is out. At the club whose name I wont mention, he is safe whether they are regulated or not as being a yo-yo club is their remit at the moment anyway.

Palace could have appointment Roy Hodgson in the summer. So why not then but now. Or change manager 2 weeks ago to give the new manager time. 

De Boer was poor choice cos he didnt fit Palace. 

Hodgson is a decent choice and will sort the defence out for sure. 

When Freedman was appointed De Boer were numbered. 

Expect Ray Lewington to join Hodgson at Palace. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Sounds like De Boer has been sacked. Hodgson the favourite to take over.

Can only presume the powers that be at Palace think there's something seriously wrong behind the scenes and there's no chance of improvement. On the face of it it seems a bit harsh to sack De Boer at this stage and especially on the basis of yesterday Palace played well enough but its not FDB's fault if professional footballers cant find the net from point blank range.

They were also apparently trying to completely change the whole philosophy of the Club from safety first survival football to a more attractive style with a better prospect of sustainable top 10 football. That 's a complete about turn and doesnt happen overnight.

Hodgosaurus though. What a disastrous choice that is. Talk about out of the frying pan into the fire! Bet the Palace fans are delighted!

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Moderation Lead

I think something similar happened at Inter with De Boer, he barely lasted any time at all there as I recall.

Still though, for Palace not to have scored in the league yet is appalling.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Palace could have appointment Roy Hodgson in the summer. So why not then but now. Or change manager 2 weeks ago to give the new manager time. 

De Boer was poor choice cos he didnt fit Palace. 

Hodgson is a decent choice and will sort the defence out for sure. 

When Freedman was appointed De Boer were numbered. 

Expect Ray Lewington to join Hodgson at Palace. 

Steve Parish should be considering his position too. Far too often chairmen make poor appointments and are not accountable. He has maybe several appointments which have resulted in sackings which must have cost millions. He strikes me as arrogant, a bit like his predecessor.

On 2017-09-09 at 15:08, blueboy3333 said:

Jones was a coward. This ended Gary Stevens career.

If anything, the fact that players like Jones used to be able to make a living at top level shows how far the game has progressed. A psycopath, nothing-player tripping on his own myth as a hard man, he would have been laughed off the pitch today. Oh, and anyone longing for the days of Vinne Jones has no business complaining over simulation and players like Suarèz biting or spitting. How on earth is this any better? 

Just now, K-Hod said:

I think something similar happened at Inter with De Boer, he barely lasted any time at all there as I recall.

Just been on Sky they're the first topflight Club to lose their first four games without scoring since 1924. Hardly De Boer's fault yesterday though.

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

Both times he was taken in right before the start of the season and tried to apply advanced, attacking systems on players with very little experience of that kind of football. Arrogant of him to think he cold pull it off, and stupid of the chairmen/sporting directors to think it would work.  

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Just been on Sky they're the first topflight Club to lose their first four games without scoring since 1924. Hardly De Boer's fault yesterday though.

I've only seen the goal from their game yesterday, but from what I've heard, it sounded like Palace had plenty of chances to score!

Indeed, the missed chances aren't his fault, but it's a lot cheaper and easier to sack a manager than a playing squad.....

Edited by K-Hod
4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Steve Parish should be considering his position too. Far too often chairmen make poor appointments and are not accountable. He has maybe several appointments which have resulted in sackings which must have cost millions. He strikes me as arrogant, a bit like his predecessor.

The Palace American owners would sack him. Freedman appointment was strange and De Boer had no say in him. 

Palace were far too slow in appointment a new manager this summer. Let Silva slip through their hands. 

Palace appear to have got the foreign bug over the summer. Probably watched what Southampton and Watford have done with head coaches from overseas and thought they could replicate that 'model'.

'Old school' British managers are the reason they got to the Premier League and have stayed there - Holloway, Pulis, Warnock, Pardew, Allardyce - non are 'fashionable' in todays world yet all were effective in getting them up and keeping them up.

Now they seem to have realised the experiment failed and are going back to the old school model with Hodgson. Classic example of a club getting too big for their boots and think the answer to their problems is to hire a big foreign name rather than stick to the successful model that has worked for them with experienced British bosses who know the culture and how to grind out results at a small club punching above their weight.

Just now, 47er said:

I wonder if we will ever agree on anything Rev! Mane was perfectly entitled to go for the ball---- one head against another. not one head against a boot! Ball was too high for kicking.

Red card every day of the week, ref got it right.

If you don't think that was dangerous how come the keeper was carried off and too no further part in the game?

I can see the argument both ways. I froze the replay at the point of impact and it looks horrendous like Mane launched a shoulder high Kung Fu kick at the keeper's head but in real time I thought it was a completely accidental collision with both players coming from different directions and Mane no way of knowing the keeper was going to duck his head in in the reckless (to his own safety) manner he did.

Id distinguish it completely from the sort of situation where the opponent is in a fixed position and the other player knows he is there and plants a boot in his chest accidentally or otherwise.

Bad luck for De Boer but was a strange choice as manager. What is the attraction of Roy Hodgson ? He's been a failure more often than not (including Rovers), hates criticism and his departure from the England job (I don;t know why I'm here, he said, on facing the press after his dismissal) was lamentable.

Parish is an idiot but he suits Palace. Don't like them as a club or their fans and south London is one of the armpits of England.