BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

iFollow Thread

Finally had to mute the two idiot commentators last night - constant moaning and winging about the referee over and over throughout the game

....Ok, we all know they aren't great and some decisions are dodgy, but get over it and talk about the football.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TonyM said:

Finally had to mute the two idiot commentators last night - constant moaning and winging about the referee over and over throughout the game

....Ok, we all know they aren't great and some decisions are dodgy, but get over it and talk about the football.

Yes. I get fed up with their constant inane chatter. Also the camera people keep showing 3 replays of some previous action whilst the restarted game continues out of our sight. So frustrating.

I paused the game for 7 minutes in the 1st half and continued to watch it to half time ok. At that point I clicked the red "Live game" icon and caught up to real time. Easy!

The sound was in synchro with the picture so that was ok as well.

2 minutes ago, bringdunnback said:

It's really awful coverage, never have I seen two media guys be a commentary team.

I'd rather it was just one of them rather than a fan in the analysis chair.

It's incredibly sub-standard.

Sorry to nitpik but I think they do a decent job despite the inane ramblings some times. 

Who would you replace them with? 

Better than nothing. 

9 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Sorry to nitpik but I think they do a decent job despite the inane ramblings some times. 

Better than nothing. 

Quite a number of Championship clubs use their local Radio commentary who are more experienced in live sports. Hence I tend to use that, unless its just too biased which is not often.

9 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Better than nothing. 

25 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Quite a number of Championship clubs use their local Radio commentary who are more experienced in live sports. Hence I tend to use that, unless its just too biased which is not often.

This. Sheffield United do it and it works very well. BBC Local Radio is great for a lean towards our sides without being overly biased.

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, Meesh said:

Just had an email saying that there'll be a brand new club website and iFollow is being replaced with RoversTV. Sounds good. Let's see.

This has been planned for some months. I think it was first mentioned in confidence at the January Fans Forum.

16 minutes ago, only2garners said:

This has been planned for some months. I think it was first mentioned in confidence at the January Fans Forum.

Nice one!

Cant wait to see what else has been mentioned in confidence at the last forum meet O2G ..although the prelonged  wait to see the minutes from 18th May doesnt fill me with confidence that its going to be good news!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Nice one!

Cant wait to see what else has been mentioned in confidence at the last forum meet O2G ..although the prelonged  wait to see the minutes from 18th May doesnt fill me with confidence that its going to be good news!

Would imagine minutes may delay til Tuesday and go up along with the new site launch perhaps? I know they're very busy down there working away to be ready in time

40 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Nice one!

Apologies for having the temerity for going away for a few days after writing the minutes.

And anyway anything mentioned in confidence won’t be in the minutes will they?

I would certainly hope or think that there is potential here to resurrect Rovers TV and actually produce a channel, even if just via YouTube or the club website at limited hours, to a good standard.

I notice that Charlton have their own in house channel which includes all sorts of pre and post match interviews with people at the club.

In this day and age and with the Covid remote viewing experience to draw from there should be good value to it. They want to promote the womens team so putting their games on it is one way of getting people to watch. They could also broadcast all the u23 matches home and away.

• Like 1

I'm surprised by the optimism here and on FB for this.

iFollow is hardly the bee's knees, but providing a service to so many clubs probably makes it cost effective.

I just can't see the club, under the current regime, providing a better or more cost effective service. You can rest assured that Maggot will try to do the latter, but his version of cost efficiency relies solely on the two principles of strip it bare and charge as much as you can for it.

Combine that with our current budgetary issues and, as much as I'd like to see otherwise, I can only see it being a disaster. Those who don't like the two commentators (they only bother me sometimes personally) can expect them to still be the go-to guys.

I also saw someone on FB say (with a strange amount of positivity about it) that it will allow the club to charge what they want for games. If that's true, you can forget being able to pay a tenner for it. And given how long it took iFollow to be able to put out a halfway decent stream, with that being their business, I can only see ours being even less reliable.

• Like 6

I hope this works and is a benefit to the club. I fear that despite iFollow’s flaws, they have a full team working on it to fix and improve. Will Rovers be employing a similar outfit?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, J*B said:

I hope this works and is a benefit to the club. I fear that despite iFollow’s flaws, they have a full team working on it to fix and improve. Will Rovers be employing a similar outfit?

I can answer that question

No, it costs money

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

I can answer that question

No, it costs money

Maybe the tech team will be based abroad  😉  , 

Look forward to dealing with "vincent, no I am based in London , Sir" who is telling me I have a virus on my Rovers TV (joke, I hope)

Has Barry any investments in the tech area? 

Anyway hope its a seamless switch over and pricing remains in the ifollow range.

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

iFollow was centrally run and even live mixed away from Ewood Park. Pre-game adverts would cut off chat between the commentators at random. Amongst a host of other issues I thought iFollow was tosh.

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

iFollow was centrally run and even live mixed away from Ewood Park. Pre-game adverts would cut off chat between the commentators at random. Amongst a host of other issues I thought iFollow was tosh.

Me too…let’s hope the club employs someone who knows what they’re doing…😉

12 minutes ago, JoeH said:

You honestly saw the best of iFollow, it was an absolute shambles in its first two seasons, luckily the standard is much higher recently, but so was the price.

22 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Of course it was - it would be hugely inefficient to do it on site for circa 72 clubs. iFollow is run by IMG, one of the biggest providers worldwide and had a team of ~50 people working on it over the weekend and ~10 people on non match days. What is Rovers proposition? Looking forward to finding out. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I wonder if they have decided to move in this direction to provide a superior quality product at great value for the long suffering fans who deserve a reward ?

Is that not akin to the club actually doing something for the fans?  Doesn't seem very Rovers to me.

42 minutes ago, J*B said:

Of course it was - it would be hugely inefficient to do it on site for circa 72 clubs. iFollow is run by IMG, one of the biggest providers worldwide and had a team of ~50 people working on it over the weekend and ~10 people on non match days. What is Rovers proposition? Looking forward to finding out. 

I’d much prefer ONE Ewood Park based vision mixer with full creative control than a team or mixers away from the stadium who are responsible for multiple games each and need to time advert breaks to suit EFL needs.