BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mulgrew injured and subbed

Mercer

43 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yes very easy to have 6 first choice centre halves... And to keep them all happy... 

You can just sign players in case someone gets injured. In that case we would have 8 centre halves. 

People on here on one hand are giving out that we signed Harper because he is taking the place of our own youth, on the the other hand then they are saying they don't want Wharton or Platt to start. People seem to just find their angle to complain, even if it totally contradicts what they are saying in another thread 

I don't understand the obsession with having loads of centre halves but turning your nose up at another central midfielder either. Before deadline day we had 3 senior centre mids (one of which being Whittingham, who is not good enough imo) and 3 senior centre halves (+Williams who I reckon is a CH). They both needed more backup and they both got more backup.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Nope you can expect at least 5 of them centre halves to be more than capable of stepping up to the plate. Downing aside, whose history suggests he can play a full season at this level, who else would you say is fit to play there? Williams? Then who plays LB?

Mowbray missed a chance to properly reinforce the defence. Let's hope he doesn't pay for it.

We have 5 center halves available at the moment;Ward, Downing, Williams, Wharton and Platt. To be honest I am more interested in getting two playing together who actually build a relationship and stay fit. What is the point in signing another? 

How could we have signed a top quality staring league 1 center half and expect him to be happy being, at best, 3rd choice? 

Just now, RV Blue said:

I don't understand the obsession with having loads of centre halves but turning your nose up at another central midfielder either. Before deadline day we had 3 senior centre mids (one of which being Whittingham, who is not good enough imo) and 3 senior centre halves (+Williams who I reckon is a CH). They both needed more backup and they both got more backup.

We had 1 CB. The others were midfielders. Signing two quality CB's would have meant freeing up Mulgrew and Lenihan to play in midfield if needed. Harper, of course, may be a genius but as it stands we are now nearing crisis mode at CB where we my soon need to rely on a kid. Mulgrew and now Lenihan are showing themselves to be crocks. Ward is hardly in the best shape and hasn't been short of injuries. This current situation with injuries was predicted all summer.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have 5 center halves available at the moment;Ward, Downing, Williams, Wharton and Platt. To be honest I am more interested in getting two playing together who actually build a relationship and stay fit. What is the point in signing another? 

Wharton is injured and Platt has played one(?) senior game. So really we are down to Downing, Ward and Williams.

Right now there is no point in signing another. We had a chance to sign a player to put straight into our first 11 instead we left it until the last minute and got a guy in to bolster numbers. I don't understand why this gripe is so difficult for you to comprehend. Hasn't this been explained to you before? <_<

Williams isn't a centre half. Wharton is out injured and hasn't played since July. Platt has impressed with the U23s but has never played for the first team, so whilst he probably deserves his chance he isn't a tried and tested option.

The point in signing another is to avoid the situation we now find ourselves in heading into an important block of games with only Ward and Downing as experienced CB options. Like we've seen so many times in recent years we're already reaching a stage where I expect Mowbray will have to shoehorn Williams/Nyambe into becoming CBs when they aren't. Ward is a major injury risk and probably not good enough, Downing is an unknown at this stage.

This situation was avoidable. We all knew Mulgrew was likely to get injured and Lenihan has been out for a month with no proper diagnosis and no replacement sourced.

A player to go in the 1st team costs, not only in a possible fee but in wages. Tony will be working to a wage budget and trying to find ways to maximise that. Hence the loans where we possibly arent even paying the wages.

You cant just sign top players for peanuts and put them on £50 a week

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Wharton is injured and Platt has played one(?) senior game. So really we are down to Downing, Ward and Williams.

Right now there is no point in signing another. We had a chance to sign a player to put straight into our first 11 instead we left it until the last minute and got a guy in to bolster numbers. I don't understand why this gripe is so difficult for you to comprehend. Hasn't this been explained to you before? <_<

Who would you have signed?

Just now, FGS5635 said:

A player to go in the 1st team costs, not only in a possible fee but in wages. Tony will be working to a wage budget and trying to find ways to maximise that. Hence the loans where we possibly arent even paying the wages.

You cant just sign top players for peanuts and put them on £50 a week

But yet we are led to believe we had a serious bid in for Heneghan? If that was true why couldn't that money have been used to pursue someone decent?

Just now, JHRover said:

Williams isn't a centre half. Wharton is out injured and hasn't played since July. Platt has impressed with the U23s but has never played for the first team, so whilst he probably deserves his chance he isn't a tried and tested option.

The point in signing another is to avoid the situation we now find ourselves in heading into an important block of games with only Ward and Downing as experienced CB options. Like we've seen so many times in recent years we're already reaching a stage where I expect Mowbray will have to shoehorn Williams/Nyambe into becoming CBs when they aren't. Ward is a major injury risk and probably not good enough, Downing is an unknown at this stage.

This situation was avoidable. We all knew Mulgrew was likely to get injured and Lenihan has been out for a month with no proper diagnosis and no replacement sourced.

He played there for Bristol city in League 1 when they won promotion. 

How do you give youngsters like Wharton and Platt their chance? If we were in the Premier league would you bat an eyelid if either of them went on loan to a League 1 club? 

Just now, islander200 said:

But yet we are led to believe we had a serious bid in for Heneghan? If that was true why couldn't that money have been used to pursue someone decent?

Who knows what happened on deadline day. Its a crazy day where everything is rushed and a good deal is hard to come by. Maybe someone was going to be sold and when wasnt the cash wasnt there.

We will never know, but clearly he tried to improve the defence but for whatever reasons we couldnt get a deal over the line

2 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Hence the loans where we possibly arent even paying the wages.

Hopefully in Antonsson's case:lol:

On your wider point, it is up to Mowbray to manage his budget so it makes you wonder why he spunked a load of wages on a bloke who doesn't look like he's got the legs to play the formation he was signed to play in (Whittingham)

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Hopefully in Antonsson's case:lol:

On your wider point, it is up to Whittingham to manage his budget so it makes you wonder why he spunked a load of wages on a bloke who doesn't look like he's got the legs to play the formation he was signed to play in (Whittingham)

Maybe , maybe not, I'd say he needs more games yet before we right him off. I think most thought that was a good signing when announced though

Just now, FGS5635 said:

Who knows what happened on deadline day. Its a crazy day where everything is rushed and a good deal is hard to come by. Maybe someone was going to be sold and when wasnt the cash wasnt there.

We will never know, but clearly he tried to improve the defence but for whatever reasons we couldnt get a deal over the line

The homework and enquiries should have been done before Deadline Day.We had the bid in for Heneghan, but Sheffield United came in so we must have had a little money if what is coming out of the club is true.

Just now, JHRover said:

Yep. It's a situation posters on here been aware of since early August that we needed to address. Weirdly, they faced resistance then by some that claimed our defence was more than ready. How people can still believe that is beyond me. Comical.

Who would you have signed?

With all due respect that isn't my job. That is Tony Mowbray's and his recruitment department. However, I'd have gone in seriously for that lad from Peterborough rather than losing out to Lincoln was it? Likewise, I'd have tried to go for Henneghan a lot earlier than the final day if he was a real target. In short I'd have done my business in this area weeks before the final day of the season and thus give myself the best chance possible to secure a good signing. 

Just now, islander200 said:

The homework and enquiries should have been done before Deadline Day.We had the bid in for Heneghan, but Sheffield United came in so we must have had a little money if what is coming out of the club is true.

Thats the trouble with a deadline day. Everyone waits until the last minute trying to squeeze every last drop out of every deal. The player knows he will get a better deal on deadline day, the agent knows it and motherwell deffo know it

1 minute ago, FGS5635 said:

Thats the trouble with a deadline day. Everyone waits until the last minute trying to squeeze every last drop out of every deal. The player knows he will get a better deal on deadline day, the agent knows it and motherwell deffo know it

Sorry but Mowbray has no excuses.He knew Mulgrew has suffered with injuries,Lenihan was already injured.Everyone wouldn't leave till Deadline day in that case.Moves should have been made earlier and we wouldn't have been left scraping the barrell

9 minutes ago, islander200 said:

It's not my job to scout players.Are you suggesting that downing an mk dons reserve is the best we could have signed?

But you are running the rule over who we have here and saying they aren't good enough, so you must be measuring that against some bar. You thinking Vincent Kompany? 

But you are running the rule over who we have here and saying they aren't good enough, so you must be measuring that against some bar. You thinking Vincent Kompany? 

Look the fella Downing can't make the starting 11 of a team which is expected to finish below us so no I don't think it's a good signing.If that's the standard your happy with fair enough

Archived