BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mulgrew injured and subbed

Mercer

9 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Explain?

Any pairing is unknown at this level.Ward and Downing could turn out to be more effective than Lenihan and Mulgrew. Horses for courses. Against teams who play long ball and set piece focused tactics, particularly away from home, two big lads winning headers could be what we need. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Look the fella Downing can't make the starting 11 of a team which is expected to finish below us so no I don't think it's a good signing.If that's the standard your happy with fair enough

Samba coulddn't make Hertha Berlin's reserve side, then walked straight into our midtable Prem side.

I think it's much more about clicking with your defensive partner than individual ability.

Ofc, it helps to sign players playing at higher standards but I just have a gut feeling that Downing will be a good option. If not, we always have the U23s who help us beat a senior Wigan side ;)

Just now, Mike E said:

Samba coulddn't make Hertha Berlin's reserve side, then walked straight into our midtable Prem side.

I think it's much more about clicking with your defensive partner than individual ability.

Ofc, it helps to sign players playing at higher standards but I just have a gut feeling that Downing will be a good option. If not, we always have the U23s who help us beat a senior Wigan side ;)

But Hertha Berlin are a higher standard than MK Dons. 

19 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yep. It's a situation posters on here been aware of since early August that we needed to address. Weirdly, they faced resistance then by some that claimed our defence was more than ready. How people can still believe that is beyond me. Comical.

With all due respect that isn't my job. That is Tony Mowbray's and his recruitment department. However, I'd have gone in seriously for that lad from Peterborough rather than losing out to Lincoln was it? Likewise, I'd have tried to go for Henneghan a lot earlier than the final day if he was a real target. In short I'd have done my business in this area weeks before the final day of the season and thus give myself the best chance possible to secure a good signing. 

Why would you have went for him, is he better than Downing? 

As for Henneghan, there is a good video on youtube with Chris Wilder on the last day of the transfer window, take a look if you get a chance. It gives a great insight into how crazy and impractical the window is. 

Just now, Mike E said:

Mowbray won't use the u23s.I take your point about at Samba but extensive scouting would have gone on with him where with Downing it was just a case of getting a body in in my opinion.The club saying to the fans "look we have made signings".

The headline for the harper signing for example "Rovers land Premier Wonderkid".When he has played a few minutes of senior football

Just now, islander200 said:

Mowbray won't use the u23s.I take your point about at Samba but extensive scouting would have gone on with him where with Downing it was just a case of getting a body in in my opinion.The club saying to the fans "look we have made signings".

The headline for the harper signing for example "Rovers land Premier Wonderkid".When he has played a few minutes of senior football

How do you know this?

He has said Nutall is close to the first team. 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why would you have went for him, is he better than Downing? 

As for Henneghan, there is a good video on youtube with Chris Wilder on the last day of the transfer window, take a look if you get a chance. It gives a great insight into how crazy and impractical the window is. 

Exactly. Which is why you don't leave your business until the last day which is what is being said. I hate to have to keep repeating this but I'm pretty sure you've had this told to you a few times too. Bit of a wind up merchant aren't you?

It's not the first time you've argued long enough to prove the other side right either. :rolleyes:

I'd say he is with several clubs chasing him, Peterborough wanted him to stay, he was captain etc. All of this leads me to believe he'd have been a better signing than an unwanted, 11th hour loan for Downing.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

How do you know this?

He has said Nutall is close to the first team. 

We will see.But bringing in Harper who plays in a similar position as one of our more talented youngsters in Tomlinson doesn't suggest he will be used.Bringing in Hunt looks like that has put Jack Doyle down the pecking order.

17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Any pairing is unknown at this level.Ward and Downing could turn out to be more effective than Lenihan and Mulgrew. Horses for courses. Against teams who play long ball and set piece focused tactics, particularly away from home, two big lads winning headers could be what we need. 

It could be what we need, but there's quick forwards in this league so two lumbering CB's could be a disaster. The point is Mowbray had the whole window to bring in a CB capable of challenging and being better than the players at the club, players that are known to be injury prone, and players who when they wee injured last season resulted in us not being able to buy a win.

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The Heneghan deal couldn't have been more straight forward. for Sheff U. Using another club's transfer dealings as an excuse for our own failings is a bit desperate;)

Just now, FGS5635 said:

Raya was an U23, nyambe was an U23, but hey ho

If I were Willem Tomlinson or Jack Doyle I think I'd be a bit miffed that on deadline day the manager brought in a 20 year old LB from Liverpool and a 17 year old from WBA. That would tell me that despite efforts in the u23s, pre season and the Checkatrade Trophy in recent months that the manager had decided it was necessary to recruit from outside. Given the performances of our U23s both last season and this I'd be very surprised if either of those two arrivals were better than what we already have.

If they turn out to be worldbeaters and better than those already at the club then I'll take my hat off to Mowbray, but I'll be surprised.

Mowbray went to great lengths to explain how signings would only come in if they improved the squad and could push those already here for a starting spot. I don't think any of those signed on Thursday are currently better than what is already at the club. Downing will be getting his chance soon as the inevitable injuries bite but there's little to no chance of him being as good or better than those he will be playing instead of.

8 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Exactly. Which is why you don't leave your business until the last day which is what is being said. I hate to have to keep repeating this but I'm pretty sure you've had this told to you a few times too. Bit of a wind up merchant aren't you?

It's not the first time you've argued long enough to prove the other side right either. :rolleyes:

I'd say he is with several clubs chasing him, Peterborough wanted him to stay, he was captain etc. All of this leads me to believe he'd have been a better signing than an unwanted, 11th hour loan for Downing.

Very few teams had their business done before the last day, the majority were still completing deals. Yes or no? 

You would say he was a better signing, without ever seeing either player play. Does that make sense? We aren't talking about a League 1 player and Kompany here. 

11 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We will see.But bringing in Harper who plays in a similar position as one of our more talented youngsters in Tomlinson doesn't suggest he will be used.Bringing in Hunt looks like that has put Jack Doyle down the pecking order.

Ya , we will see. At the moment there is nothing to suggest he wont play the Under 23s, because we are only a few games into the season. In fact he played a number of them in the Checktrade cup, when some on here were clamoring for him to play our "starting 11" 

10 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

It could be what we need, but there's quick forwards in this league so two lumbering CB's could be a disaster. The point is Mowbray had the whole window to bring in a CB capable of challenging and being better than the players at the club, players that are known to be injury prone, and players who when they wee injured last season resulted in us not being able to buy a win.

The Heneghan deal couldn't have been more straight forward. for Sheff U. Using another club's transfer dealings as an excuse for our own failings is a bit desperate;)

Should he have sold Mulgrew and Lenihan for this reason? 

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Very few teams had their business done before the last day, the majority were still completing deals. Yes or no? 

You would say he was a better signing, without ever seeing either player play. Does that make sense? We aren't talking about a League 1 player and Kompany here. 

No one is talking about Vincent Kompany except you. Such a strawman argument. We are talking about players to improve our back 4 - something that wasn't done. Simple as that. No amount of you saying otherwise is going to change it.

You are a wind up merchant, clearly. It can't take this long for something so simple to get through to an adult.

Please don't make me have to explain how you can get a basic overview of a players ability without seeing them play. Then again we lost out to a league 2 team for him so the bid couldn't have been serious.

I'm done with you anyway. We are going in circles. The bottom line is that the back 4 wasn't reinforced suitably and now, days after the window shuts, we are facing the consequence with both our centre halves out injured. You can disagree but we are now a considerably weaker team. All it takes is for the inevitable Ward injury and we are with 1 experienced fully fledged centre back that wasn't wanted by MK Dons.

Brilliant!

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

No one is talking about Vincent Kompany except you. Such a strawman argument. We are talking about players to improve our back 4 - something that wasn't done. Simple as that. No amount of you saying otherwise is going to change it.

You are a wind up merchant, clearly. It can't take this long for something so simple to get through to an adult.

Please don't make me have to explain how you can get a basic overview of a players ability without seeing them play. Then again we lost out to a league 2 team for him so the bid couldn't have been serious.

I'm done with you anyway. We are going in circles. The bottom line is that the back 4 wasn't reinforced suitably and now, days after the window shuts, we are facing the consequence with both our centre halves out injured. You can disagree but we are now a considerably weaker team. All it takes is for the inevitable Ward injury and we are with 1 experienced fully fledged centre back that wasn't wanted by MK Dons.

Brilliant!

It isn't a strawman argument. I bet if we signed Hennighan you would be saying "we are left with a guy who played non-league practically his entire career and had a few decent months in Scotland, which is a terrible standard". You admit you have seen none of these players play, yet you are an expert on how they won't do a job for us. 

Back to football manager with you :) 

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

We had 1 CB. The others were midfielders. Signing two quality CB's would have meant freeing up Mulgrew and Lenihan to play in midfield if needed. Harper, of course, may be a genius but as it stands we are now nearing crisis mode at CB where we my soon need to rely on a kid. Mulgrew and now Lenihan are showing themselves to be crocks. Ward is hardly in the best shape and hasn't been short of injuries. This current situation with injuries was predicted all summer.

You haven't seen much of Lenihan if you think he's a midfielder, he's always been poor in midfield... Mulgrew has been a centre back for club and country for years.

You are talking like Evans isn't injury prone, if Evans is out (he will be soon) we're down to Whittingham and it is clear that he can't play as 1 of 2, and after Whittingham, the kids.

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya , we will see. At the moment there is nothing to suggest he wont play the Under 23s, because we are only a few games into the season. In fact he played a number of them in the Checktrade cup, when some on here were clamoring for him to play our "starting 11" 

So signing Harper and Hunt doesn't suggest to you that Tomlinson and Doyle arnt in his plans?

Archived