BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mulgrew injured and subbed

Mercer

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yes very easy to have 6 first choice centre halves... And to keep them all happy... 

You can just sign players in case someone gets injured. In that case we would have 8 centre halves. 

People on here on one hand are giving out that we signed Harper because he is taking the place of our own youth, on the the other hand then they are saying they don't want Wharton or Platt to start. People seem to just find their angle to complain, even if it totally contradicts what they are saying in another thread 

I wasn't one of those who said signing Harper would stop our own youth players coming through. I'd rather have 4 centre halves who could all do a job, than 6 who most of them either aren't good enough or have no first team experience.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RV Blue said:

You haven't seen much of Lenihan if you think he's a midfielder, he's always been poor in midfield... Mulgrew has been a centre back for club and country for years.

Apart from the fact he played the whole season with promotion-winning Burton as a midfielder and was praised by Hasselbaink and their fans as an important cog in that side. He's also played a lot of his youth career in midfield and looked good in the Rovers first team when playing there. To say 'he's always been poor in midfield' is nonsense, and factually incorrect.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Apart from the fact he played the whole season with promotion-winning Burton as a midfielder and was praised by Hasselbaink and their fans as an important cog in that side. He's also played a lot of his youth career in midfield and looked good in the Rovers first team when playing there. To say 'he's always been poor in midfield' is nonsense, and factually incorrect.

He played 17 games for Burton in League 2, what you just said is factually incorrect. Lenihan looked like a different player when he went into defence, he couldn't get in our midfield at the start of last season.

Just now, RV Blue said:

Is Evans not injury-prone?

Yes, which is why we are well-covered in centre midfield with Smallwood, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Evans, Tomlinson, Whittingham and at a push Bennnett and Dack. Harper, unless he is brilliant, may be overkill. At CB he's a lot more limited, which is the whole point. The chickens of his poor planning may have come home to roost.

Yes, which is why we are well-covered in centre midfield with Smallwood, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Evans, Tomlinson, Whittingham and at a push Bennnett and Dack. Harper, unless he is brilliant, may be overkill. At CB he's a lot more limited, which is the whole point. The chickens of his poor planning may have come home to roost.

So your whole argument is that Lenihan and Mulgrew are midfielders and not defenders? I disagree, and I would guess that most Rovers fans would as well.

Just now, RV Blue said:

He played 17 games for Burton in League 2, what you just said is factually incorrect. Lenihan looked like a different player when he went into defence, he couldn't get in our midfield at the start of last season.

17, 46 who's counting. He was praised by Hasselbaink as doing a grand job as a midfielder. Coyle not picking him is hardly a good position to back up your argument;)

10 minutes ago, Butty said:

I wasn't one of those who said signing Harper would stop our own youth players coming through. I'd rather have 4 centre halves who could all do a job, than 6 who most of them either aren't good enough or have no first team experience.

How and when should they get first team experience?

Jones got it while we were in the Premier league 

Just now, RV Blue said:

So your whole argument is that Lenihan and Mulgrew are midfielders and not defenders? I disagree, and I would guess that most Rovers fans would as well.

I didn't know you spoke for everyone.

My whole argument is they can and have played as midfielders, which makes them an option in midfield. Lenihan see's himself as a midfielder, Mowbray has made reference to it. Mulgrew has played a lot of games there. You thinking other Rovers fans would disagree with that is irrelevant.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

My question was would you have sold Mulgrew and Lenihan because they are injury prone

How in Gods name did you get that I was denying they are injury prone from that question?  

??

I didn't say you did. I was just answering a question with a question, like you do:P

I didn't know you spoke for everyone.

My whole argument is they can and have played as midfielders, which makes them an option in midfield. Lenihan see's himself as a midfielder, Mowbray has made reference to it. Mulgrew has played a lot of games there. You thinking other Rovers fans would disagree with that is irrelevant.

"I would guess"

Williams & Nyambe can both play CB, even more cover for that role. I don't rate Lenihan as a midfielder and never have done. Mulgrew could probably play anywhere on the pitch and be our best player, but I would rather have him playing at the back providing the link between the goalkeeper and midfield. Saying that we're fine in midfield because our best two centre backs can play there is nonsense imo.

Every team in any league is in a bit of a pickle if they lose their top 2 centre backs.

We are no different, its a crap situation, but this is the time for someone to step up and make a name for themselves.

Then hopefully the main 2 cant just walk back into the team and you suddenly have 3 or 4 good centre halfs and then your stacked or have the option of cashing in on one.

This is how many a top footballer got their initial chance

9 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

17, 46 who's counting. He was praised by Hasselbaink as doing a grand job as a midfielder. Coyle not picking him is hardly a good position to back up your argument;)

Using Hasselbaink as a bastion of managerial genius is hardly a good backup to your argument either ;), if I told you that Coyle had a better win ratio at Rovers than Hasselbaink had at QPR, would you be surprised?

Just now, RV Blue said:

Using Hasselbaink as a bastion of managerial genius is hardly a good backup to your argument either ;), if I told you that Coyle had a better win ratio at Rovers than Hasselbaink had at QPR, would you be surprised?

That was only because Coyle had Lenihan stepping in to midfield and dictating play;)

3 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Every team in any league is in a bit of a pickle if they lose their top 2 centre backs.

We are no different, its a crap situation, but this is the time for someone to step up and make a name for themselves.

Then hopefully the main 2 cant just walk back into the team and you suddenly have 3 or 4 good centre halfs and then your stacked or have the option of cashing in on one.

This is how many a top footballer got their initial chance

My God ,a reasonable post from a Rovers fan :) 

If it was so obvious and predictable that Mulgrew and Lenihan were going to get injured, we should have sold them, simple as that. The thing is not one person here who is saying that it was so obvious or predictable, would have been happy if we sold either of them, let alone 1 of them, regardless of who we signed to replace them. 

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Sigh.

Which is why he should have brought competition in for the CB positions, and not the midfield roles. We already have cover there.

You can sigh all you want, it still doesn't make any sense. Chopping and changing your back 4 so they can fill roles elsewhere on the pitch when you've got injuries is nonsensical.

Just now, RV Blue said:

You can sigh all you want, it still doesn't make any sense, chopping and changing your back 4 so they can fill roles elsewhere on the pitch when you've got injuries is nonsensical.

Are you on the wind up?

The position we are chopping and changing is the back 4 because our CB's are injury prone. That's the whole point. FFS!!!!!

I think if you dot the I's cross the T's, read between the lines and love a good conspiracy, I think the club would have sold Lenihan and that fee was going to fund our deadline day moves.

We would probably of signed hennighan and others, but for whatever reason, quite possibly the foot injury he didnt go and here we are.

Quite a good few assumptions in that belief, but imo I think thats what happened

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Take a deep breath RV because I honestly don't think you are as dense as BDS. He's a lost cause.

What blueboy is saying is rather than bring in say, Whittingham, you should have spent that money on a centre half on the provision that Lenihan is actually a midfielder. I know that's hard to comprehend but just have a brew, sit down and absorb it.

:lol:

TFFT, I thought I was going mad:)

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

But you have opinions on lots of things, why don't you have one on whether we should have sold Mulgrew and Lenihan as they so injury prone? 

Knowing the two of them and Ward are so are injury prone, and even the dogs in the street know this, we should have paid more attention to getting in a better class of back up centre half. They way things are going we'll be playing Williams and Downing there before long. I believe Smallwood filled in there last week against Stoke, how did he do ?

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Knowing the two of them and Ward are so are injury prone, and even the dogs in the street know this, we should have paid more attention to getting in a better class of back up centre half. They way things are going we'll be playing Williams and Downing there before long. I believe Smallwood filled in there last week against Stoke, how did he do ?

See this is the thing, who should we have signed as a "better class of back up center half"? People keep saying this like it is the easiest and most straight forward thing in the world. The top teams can't even get their transfer business done how they want. 

Ya, I saw that Smallwood played there. I am not sure how he got on actually. He is aggressive enough and a great tackler, although my impression is that he is a bit small(wood) 

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Are you on the wind up?

The position we are chopping and changing is the back 4 because our CB's are injury prone. That's the whole point. FFS!!!!!

If they have been injured you are chopping and changing because you have to. If you are chopping and changing them because your midfielders are injured then the problem is that you don't have enough midfielders, not that you don't have enough centre backs, FFS!!!!!!!! 

9 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Take a deep breath RV because I honestly don't think you are as dense as BDS. He's a lost cause.

What blueboy is saying is rather than bring in say, Whittingham, you should have spent that money on a centre half on the provision that Lenihan is actually a midfielder. I know that's hard to comprehend but just have a brew, sit down and absorb it.

And I would agree with him if Lenihan was a decent midfielder, he isn't.

Archived