Forum Rules

J*B

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find JAL's total disregard for any and all insults in his direction quite funny to be honest. He's like a robot programmed to sporadically post criticism of Nyambe and scouse agents, with no conside

I would ask that the ban on swearing stays put. Not because I’m a prude, but because banning the use of swear words encourages posters to assemble more readable, better structured arguments. plus

I say no, but, if someone votes me down, it will be tough not to abuse my powers.....?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Considering I was banned for the phrase 'well backed down' which you called aggressive it appears I have stumbled on a forum for toddlers. It's used to be a lot lot better. 

Before you became a ladyboy? 

• 1 month later...

For the foreseeable future, emoji responses are back. We won't be accepting reports for anything to do with emojis. Let's see if you can be trusted...

31 minutes ago, J*B said:

For the foreseeable future, emoji responses are back. We won't be accepting reports for anything to do with emojis. Let's see if you can be trusted...

Interesting that you’ve brought back “down vote” at the same time as the laughter emoji.

I foresee very obvious problems with this due to the personalities on this site. The same reason Facebook doesn’t have these kinds of negative options. One is a useful button to avoid people simply posting “good post” or “funny”. Having a minus button is destructive and does not encourage debate.

But it’s your call...

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Interesting that you’ve brought back “down vote” at the same time as the laughter emoji.

I foresee very obvious problems with this due to the personalities on this site. The same reason Facebook doesn’t have these kinds of negative options. One is a useful button to avoid people simply posting “good post” or “funny”. Having a minus button is destructive and does not encourage debate.

But it’s your call...

It's a test, really. The issue with laugher is that people use it for an unofficial downvote. 

We will see. You're probably right but I'd love to see the forum work with all the options. 

19 minutes ago, J*B said:

It's a test, really. The issue with laugher is that people use it for an unofficial downvote. 

We will see. You're probably right but I'd love to see the forum work with all the options. 

It’s a fair test. The difference with the laughter as an unofficial downvote is that it doesn’t take away rep points. In fact, it adds them. It maybe should be neutral but at least the resulting upvote from it has that irony attached - I.e. a sarcastic laugh adds rep points.

A downvote is just that, a reduction of rep points. This can be disproportionate - especially with the personal in-fighting and as hominem posting.

Despite my faults, I do try to take each post on merit and frequently upvote posts regardless of the poster. Which is how it should be in my view.

See how it goes I guess. My bet would be much less frequent posting, particularly on controversial issues, and people using it as a way to have a pop at others, such as Vinjay. Hope I’m wrong.

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It’s a fair test. The difference with the laughter as an unofficial downvote is that it doesn’t take away rep points. In fact, it adds them. It maybe should be neutral but at least the resulting upvote from it has that irony attached - I.e. a sarcastic laugh adds rep points.

A downvote is just that, a reduction of rep points. This can be disproportionate - especially with the personal in-fighting and as hominem posting.

Despite my faults, I do try to take each post on merit and frequently upvote posts regardless of the poster. Which is how it should be in my view.

See how it goes I guess. My bet would be much less frequent posting, particularly on controversial issues, and people using it as a way to have a pop at others, such as Vinjay. Hope I’m wrong.

Is rep something posters care about? I was very close to removing it completely.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Is rep something posters care about? I was very close to removing it completely.

Isn't life too short? I know mine is. Fifteen people cared enough to vote on this. A like button is great as it avoids the need to do anything more.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

If you’re a Redditor yes, if you’re a Facebooker no.

I think rep points are designed to encourage people to think about their content and not just post crap. I guess there is a bit of both on here.

Funny you asked that though. I noticed the other day somebody post who had a large negative rep score. It did set the tone.

7 hours ago, Give 'Em the Axe said:

My tuppence. I think bringing back the downvote isn't a great idea at all.

Don't you remember the absolute farrago around 2011 or so? Catty 'minuses' everywhere and then people popping off about 'getting negged'.

It contributed to a very sour atmosphere across the forum.

;)

I completely agree. Having the downvote function takes away credibility from the 'if you don't like it, skim past it' mantra, which is far more grown up.

Especially as people will just downvote people they don't like regardless of content. With that being said, a lot of (not all) immature posters from 2011 no longer seem to post on here, so maybe it'd function better this time.

6 hours ago, Mike E said:

I completely agree. Having the downvote function takes away credibility from the 'if you don't like it, skim past it' mantra, which is far more grown up.

Especially as people will just downvote people they don't like regardless of content. With that being said, a lot of (not all) immature posters from 2011 no longer seem to post on here, so maybe it'd function better this time.

And yet some were worried that people couldn’t be trusted with a laugh emoji.

We’ve got from one extreme to the other.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

And yet some were worried that people couldn’t be trusted with a laugh emoji.

We’ve got from one extreme to the other.

It's a trial. So far it seems to be working ok. Everyone is aware how it works. If the downvote is used to troll we will get rid of it.

1 minute ago, J*B said:

It's a trial. So far it seems to be working ok. Everyone is aware how it works. If the downvote is used to troll we will get rid of it.

I was just responding to Mike’s point about it being used better now when only a week ago there was doubt about the laugh emoji not being abused.

The use of any feedback buttons looks to be down to virtually nil (in Football anyway, I don’t use ICBINF anymore due to the ill feeling it generates) so I’m not sure how you’ve gauged that it is working ok.

Well that didn’t take long.

A direct but not unreasonable post between two of our older posters but taken offence to by two others not even involved. I expect JAL will be hounded at every opportunity. It’s the equivalent of two blokes talking in a pub and someone else walking past, leaning in and saying “knob”.

75A7C128-A727-4944-910F-8512092CA997.jpeg

13 hours ago, Stuart said:

Well that didn’t take long.

A direct but not unreasonable post between two of our older posters but taken offence to by two others not even involved. I expect JAL will be hounded at every opportunity. It’s the equivalent of two blokes talking in a pub and someone else walking past, leaning in and saying “knob”.

75A7C128-A727-4944-910F-8512092CA997.jpeg

Wow, someone made a confused face and disliked the comment. Do we need a counselor on the board to administer emotional first aid? 

Jals comment is slating 3 young lads and is ended by saying "that I know of". Which shows he knows little about the team. 

If people don't like his comment or are confused by it, let them off. You don't have to come on virtue signalling. 

Personally I like the flexibility of having more options. If that means I run the risk of someone, dare I say it, disliking one of my comments, so be it. At least it will knock some responses on the head that would just be negative anyway, by letting the poster get it off their chest by just down voting the comment. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

You've just shown exactly why (some) posters cannot be trusted with this functionality.

All of the old grudges are about to come back to the board.

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

You've just shown exactly why (some) posters cannot be trusted with this functionality.

All of the old grudges are about to come back to the board.

Cannot be trusted with functionality ?

Stuart, you crack me up. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Moderation Lead
On 09/09/2018 at 17:31, J*B said:

I say no, but, if someone votes me down, it will be tough not to abuse my powers.....?

Yet more proof that some people can’t keep it in their pants. Can somebody tell me what was wrong with this post to receive downvotes?

Is this really what this feature was designed for? I’m a bad poster (negative rep) because of a post like this?

Sorry @J*B but the decision to bring back the minus button will destroy debate on the site.

You wanted a vote on the positive attributes of the laugh button and then unilaterally brought back the negative votes.

B7872E7A-9CC2-479A-BB1D-2B919F77E86E.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Yet more proof that some people can’t keep it in their pants. Can somebody tell me what was wrong with this post to receive downvotes?

Is this really what this feature was designed for? I’m a bad poster (negative rep) because of a post like this?

Sorry @J*B but the decision to bring back the minus button will destroy debate on the site.

You wanted a vote on the positive attributes of the laugh button and then unilaterally brought back the negative votes.

B7872E7A-9CC2-479A-BB1D-2B919F77E86E.jpeg

I've removed reputation short term.