BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Witty/Funny Player & Manager Nicknames

pafcprogs

• Backroom

Hakan Unsall - most famous for kicking a ball at Rivaldo came here with the nickname 'The Butcher'

I wish we brought BEAMO back, one of those nice harmless Chants I remember from the early 90's

10 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I used to think of him as the gruffalo because his face reminded me of it for some reason.

But who’s this creature with terrible claws and terrible teeth in his terrible jaws. He has knobbly knees and turned out toes and a poisonous wart on the end of his nose. His eyes are orange and his tongue is black and has purple prickles all over his back.....

.... oh help, oh no...

....it’s Grant Hanley

Thanks for all the  replies and some memories...my recollection of Ken Beamish is obviously different to yours but then you saw him every week!

The one nickname I would love to pin down is the Alka Seltzer one....thats highly original and seems a shame it was lost...the only references I can think to that product are try It you will like it and Plink plink Fizz if that jogs any memories

I have had more replies on this forum than any other so far.....so many many thanks.....

16 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Not sure if true but heard Rob Jones ex-Liverpool full back was nicknamed 'trigger' because he wasn't very bright.

That was Jason McAteer (allegedly) after he asked for his pizza to be cut into 6 because he wasn’t that hungry & couldn’t face eating 8 slices...?

9 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

That was Jason McAteer (allegedly) after he asked for his pizza to be cut into 6 because he wasn’t that hungry & couldn’t face eating 8 slices...?

Speaking of McAteer apparently the players at Tranmere referred to him and John Barnes as "Dumb and Dumber". I'm guessing McAteer was the latter! Barnes later played the "race card" as a reason why people haven't been lining up for his managerial services. If Rovers do have to seek another managerial change however lets hope Barnes and Tony Adams don't apply!

20 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can give you one from rugby league - Vince Karalius - " The Wild Bull Of The Pampas ". Not a man to get on the wrong side of, he made Roy Keane look like  Barry Manilow.

I used to work with his wife - she could handle him...

20 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can give you one from rugby league - Vince Karalius - " The Wild Bull Of The Pampas ". Not a man to get on the wrong side of, he made Roy Keane look like  Barry Manilow.

Did he deliberately set out to cripple people too?

• Backroom
On 23/11/2017 at 17:57, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Might shit myself!

The apes down the road had good old 'Ironing board' George Oghani after a shoplifting incident. One of the greatest ever chants from Rovers fans I can remember is from a Manx Cup game in the 80s. To the tune of Tie your kangaroo down 'Put the ironing board down, George, Put the ironing board down.'

• Guest changed the title to Witty/Funny Player & Manager Nicknames

Archived