BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

40 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

When we beat Sweden the general mood within the Country was that we were as good as in the final and it was "coming home".

There was also a feeling we'd be a lot fresher than them after they'd played two lots of extra and in fact the exact opposite happened. We were the ones who looked knackered.

No it wasnt.

Most people I know where very worried about the Croatia game. We hoped they'd be tired, the same as we fear we (England or Rovers) will be when we haven't had much recovery time.

We planned what we might do if we were in the final but surely that's excitement and human nature. 

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its an international tournament, that they won their group in, and efficiently won every knockout game in 90 minutes. You need a bit of fortune, but their team is brilliantly balanced, defensively solid in the main, quality in midfield, and has 2 star players working around a target man. Im not sure what else you can ask for.

I've no problem that France deserved to win. I just don't think they look like a team that can go on and on. They were solid but far from spectacular, and it was a World Cup were a lot of the usual suspects didn't turn up. 

It was less than 12 months ago they couldn't beat Luxembourg at home in a competitive game. 

International football is open for so many teams at the moment.

Edited by Hasta

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Audax said:

They have every right to it but France's success has to be seen as largely being with players from former colonies, France had great teams in the '80s and otherwise with Platini and many other fine players.

The Croats were truly Europeans, make whatever one wants to out of that.

France "could" have a conveyor belt of great players coming up but I don't think they will.  They will do well but they'll continue to have a lot of opposition.

I have to say I find this a really odd post 

• Like 2

Just now, Hasta said:

I've no problem that France deserved to win. I just don't think they look like a team that can go on and on. They were solid but far from spectacular, and it wasn't a World Cup were a lot of the usual suspects didn't turn up. 

It was less than 12 months ago they couldn't beat Luxembourg at home in a competitive game. 

But you have to look at the age of the team. Only really Giroud from that starting 11, maybe Matuidi, they might have another tournament in them max, most of the squad are actually at the start of their development and should improve further. 

They seem to know what to do to win already, countries like Spain, Germany and Brazil have teams more reliant on experience than youth.

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Probably because he downed tools, which is unforgivable.

Im guessing from the "fans" aspect of your post that you are on a wind up, as you dont lose your right to become a fan by not rating someone.

Don't recall him "downing tools" but can't blame him with Kean in charge. 

"Fans" who thought he was a poor player and we could do better (and there were quite a number) don't know football and aren't fans. 

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But you have to look at the age of the team. Only really Giroud from that starting 11, maybe Matuidi, they might have another tournament in them max, most of the squad are actually at the start of their development and should improve further. 

They seem to know what to do to win already, countries like Spain, Germany and Brazil have teams more reliant on experience than youth.

And so many good players to come in Lemar, Dembele, Fekir, Mendy, Kimpembe & Tolisso hardly played any minutes between them. Then you have the likes of Coman & Rabiot who didn't even make the squad.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I've no problem that France deserved to win. I just don't think they look like a team that can go on and on. They were solid but far from spectacular, and it was a World Cup were a lot of the usual suspects didn't turn up. 

International football is open for so many teams at the moment.

It's much easier to change tactics than change the quality available. Frances issue has been not getting the tatical balance right. Now they look the part.

France made the Euros final, won this one, so that's two finals in a row to start. Theyll kick on and be favourites in 2020 for sure. The quality in every position is vast and they are all so young!

Only note of caution is the German team is still very young, and has loads of superb players and experience and a great manager, yet were diabolical at this world cup. Shows there are no sure things.

England do have some players of promise coming through and it's a good thing that a few of the younger players are going abroad to play.That lad that Dortmund got from city and lookman from Everton went over there.Some highly rated spurs young striker has gone over there too.And that lad from Chelsea Mount only 19 got player of the year for his club in Holland last season (on loan from Chelsea).

Be interesting to see how Sessengon does next season as he does look special.

England definitely have talent coming through but this French side do look something else

Fantastic scenes of celebration in Paris and across the whole of France.

1966 was the same and there was a chance until last week that it could happen again.

Have to say I'm very envious. 

Edited by jim mk2

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Former Rover on the pitch in the World Cup final......................a player some "fans" on here were glad to say goodbye to. 

He was average until he went to Seville. Like Henchoz he turn his back on the club after a relegation he partly caused. No time for tossers like that.

Arguably, many think Croatia was shortchanged, it's even included in the BBC coverage:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44754965

France is always solid except in cases like 2010, something happened, it may have mainly been inner-turmoil, challenged at the 2006 World Cup and end up virtually the last place team in 2010.

Win the 1998 World Cup, win the 2000 Euro, don't advance in the 2002 World Cup, where have I seen this before??? Germany anyone??

I'd not count one's chickens before they hatch.

Edited by Audax

Just now, Rover_Shaun said:

He was average until he went to Seville. Like Henchoz he turn his back on the club after a relegation he partly caused. No time for tossers like that.

"Average". Thanks for proving the point I was trying to make. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Don't recall him "downing tools" but can't blame him with Kean in charge. 

"Fans" who thought he was a poor player and we could do better (and there were quite a number) don't know football and aren't fans. 

He definitely did. I remember an away game at Swansea in particular where he couldnt be bothered, which regardless of the manager, is not acceptable.

He won the player of the season in his first season, I dont think people thought he was poor, more lazy and had a bad attitude, which led to a large spell of below par performances. 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd agree with that assessment of Nzonzi's time here. Always played well within himself and rarely if ever extended himself.

........but he still looked a good player, and the potential to get better, was obvious, if we'd had a manager able to exploit it and a more ambitious club. Still didn't make any sense when fans were glad to see him leave. He was always destined for the top. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
58 minutes ago, Tormund said:

You’re right, some good talent coming through for us.

Lookman, Sancho, Mount, Sessegnon, Foden etc

A city supporting pal lumps Davenport in with that crowd. 

Utterly depressing final. Controversial VAR penalties, lucky deflections, dodgy free kicks, set pieces and as the Belgians put it 'anti-football' . . then World Champions. Makes you realise that had even just one of our so-called stars like Ali bothered to turn-up this World Cup was these for the taking as it was littered with mediocrity.

Platini's World Cup.

Edited by Husky

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Fantastic scenes of celebration in Paris and across the whole of France.

1966 was the same and there was a chance until last week that it could happen again.

Have to say I'm very envious. 

We’re in Nice at present. The scenes on the Promenade des Anglais are amazing. Great party which has been going for six hours now and shows no sign of letting up.

Even the riot police are smiling!

Fantastic to see so many having such a good time  

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd agree with that assessment of Nzonzi's time here. Always played well within himself and rarely if ever extended himself.

I totally disagree on that. Could be moody but had a lot of good games and was rightly player of the season one year. Always thought he would go on to do well. However I would not have gone so far as to say win a world cup!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tormund said:

You’re right, some good talent coming through for us.

Lookman, Sancho, Mount, Sessegnon, Foden etc

Sessegnon looks a certainty for caps, the rest need to establish themselves at their clubs to see if they have the required credentials.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Sessegnon looks a certainty for caps, the rest need to establish themselves at their clubs to see if they have the required credentials.

Totally agree. Sessegnon we can be fairly confident will play at least a full season as a starter in the Premier League. Assuming we continue with 3 at the back, and with Youngs age and Rose being really poor throughout the last year, including the games he played at the world cup (awful defending for both Januzaj and Meuniers goals), theres a place at left wing back that he should look to try and nail down.

The others. Lookman had a decent spell in Germany but its half a season only. Mount seemingly had a good season in a very poor league, needs to go out and play somewhere. Sancho isnt a Dortmund starter is he? For all the praise he gets for moving abroad will he play enough? Foden again theres massive question marks on game time. England tend to produce players "destined for big things" that dont seem to play. Sessegnon is the only one from that list who has proven he has a goos chance of bucking that trend.