19 hours ago, Husky said:

Can't seem to find the designated England thread (is there one?) so I'll continue to post here.

How many of you actually know that the England are currently playing in the U-19 European Championship? It wasn't even mentioned on all the sports news I saw on various channels. It wasn't even listed on the latest scores on BBC - just a bunch of those crass CL preliminary qualifiers.

England are basically trying to defend the title with a reserve team - as most clubs didn't want to release their England players from pre-season tours etc. Seriously, what do clubs get from players playing in these largely nonsense pre-season games over letting their youngsters play in a proper competitive finals tournament? Nothing to be gained from beating say Boreham Wood 8-0 or some rank amateurs 22-0 etc. etc.

For those that don't know. England won their first game 3-2 against Turkey. If you see Turkey's 2nd goal you'll see that England have already found the new Kyle Walker, so the future looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icvj2pWz9_g

Ukraine beat France 2-1 in the other game in England's group. Check out the Phil Jones like tackle at 01:33.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv3RhfiKAlo

I knew we were champions of one youth world cup. I didnt realise we are champs of both youth world cups (u17 and u20) and the u19 European cup.

Maybe really things are looking up?

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He has a couple of lines through the rest of the article On Alf Ramsay: ’He didn’t know the players like Walter Winterbottom, he was a bit naive at first. To be honest, the lads took the pis

Great piece in The Times today talking to England players from 1954 until 2014. Bryan Douglas talks about ‘58 and ‘62. It’s probably behind a paywall, so:      

Bullshit. They were nasty and tried every dirty trick in the book. Got what they deserved - out. 

Posted Images

The team reached a semi-final but somehow lost 3 games during the tournament.   Just seems bizarre in a sense.  

Were England good enough to win it ?   Hard to say really.   You look at the calibre of opposition along the way and we never really played any real competition until the Croatia game.    If they had won and played France they probably would have lost as well but it's all hypothetical after the event.

Pickford was inspired, Kane is a dangerous player and there's a number of kids coming through but we don't have the ambition or flair of other contending nations and appear to lose our nerve on the very biggest occasions.      If one good came out of it you don't have the "It's coming home" nausea anymore.     England or not that worn a bit thin by the end and perhaps some got a little carried away with it all.     

Shame in a sense it's over but it was far from the best tournament we've ever seen.    Too many big name nations out in the earliest stages and that VAR crap spoiled things considerably.  ?

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

England v Ukraine u19s followed by the T20 War of the Roses with most of the England players available.

Purrrrrrfect........ unless it rains here and knackers my data connection

How about if it rains in Manchester? ?

On 16/07/2018 at 01:34, joey_big_nose said:

Sessegnon looks a certainty for caps, the rest need to establish themselves at their clubs to see if they have the required credentials.

From what I have seen of Sessegnon, he almost seems wasted at left back/wing back. Obviously when half your main job is to defend it will end up curtailing your attacking play, as well as knackering you out more (especially in major tournaments where the games come thick and fast with the potential of extra time).

And we all know, blablabla, England have always been short of a decent left-winger . . . always.

21 minutes ago, not exactly Scarface said:

The team reached a semi-final but somehow lost 3 games during the tournament.   Just seems bizarre in a sense.  

?

It was the first time in a major Championship since Euro 1988, when England were diabolical - even losing to an 'England B' side. ?

As for the World Cup it might have been for the first time ever. So you could take the 2018 World Cup and use facts to spin it any way you wanted to: A great tournament or a complete disaster.

One thing that's almost certain is that the WC draw will probably never open up like that again.  . . . My slant on the whole thing is that it was a big chance blown.

Edited by Husky
On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 15:59, not exactly Scarface said:

Shame in a sense it's over but it was far from the best tournament we've ever seen.    Too many big name nations out in the earliest stages and that VAR crap spoiled things considerably.  ?

Stretching it a bit. Every team who finishes 4th loses a bare minimum of two. One more in a dead rubber group stage match is inconsequential.

I thought it was a fantastic tournament. Largely because of big teams going out. 'Smaller' teams stepped up to the plate and showed the gap is closing. Lots of terrific goals too. Lots of drama. VAR only spoiled a few major decisions by somehow inexplicably getting them wrong with all the tools at their disposal. I'm glad it helped the right decision get made repeatedly though.

VAR ended up being absolutely terrible in the end.

I mean, the greatest prize in the footballing World and the majority of people ended up talking about VAR - the dive/offside goal and dodgy penalty that ruined the final.

Regarding the U19 European Championships. England were outplayed and humiliated by France. FIVE-NIL! and so didn't make it out of the group.

So surely if England win these competitions and suddenly 'the future is bright' it should also work the other way around? So the future is now bleak? Or as I've said before, do these youth tournaments hardly mean anything as statistically most of them fall by the wayside and end up average players in the lower divisions?

Defending wise - they were simply appalling. It could definitely have been EIGHT or even TEN NIL.

Edited by Husky