BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

26 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Egypt are taking a 45-year old goalkeeper with them to the finals. The only downside is he's not their number one from what I can see.

Roger Milla, Carlos Valderrama... Some fantastic oldies have been the finals. Any other golden oldies that anyone can remember?

Tim Cahill is part of the Australia squad at 38. I’m sure he will at least get a sub appearance. Actually fancying Australia to have a decent tournament after that 4-0 friendly win against Czech Republic. Bert van Marwijk was a great appointment.

Actually I was looking through the list of managers that will be at the World Cup and could recognise very few names. 

18 hours ago, Joar said:

Not sure Brandt, Reus, Draxler and Werner are few pacey players though. I'm sure the idea is to use all of them as wide players (depending on what kind of formation Löw sets up in). I would say it looks more like they're lacking a forward to hold up the ball. They've got Gomez, but no one else. Then again, they might be planning to play without any out and out striker.

My guess is that Germany will play as they usually do; back 4, 2 ball keeping central midfielders, 3 "free" midfielders, and a big lad up front.

I don't think that Sane was left out because of his ability. Much like Nainngolan with Belgium, he's annoyed the manager.

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

My guess is that Germany will play as they usually do; back 4, 2 ball keeping central midfielders, 3 "free" midfielders, and a big lad up front.

I don't think that Sane was left out because of his ability. Much like Nainngolan with Belgium, he's annoyed the manager.

Yeah, you're prob right. Sane has had a fantastic season, so wouuld normally have thought him an obvious candidate. Then again, Werner and Draxler has performed regularly for the national team, Draxler over a longer period. Reus is a fantastic player, I've attributed Dortmunds poor season a couple of years ago to his injury more than anything else, and you usually see an upturn i form for Dortmund when he's playing regularly. And Brandt has, just like Sane, had a fantastic season. Löw is basically spoiled for choice almost across the pitch

Edit: Fixed some of the worst typos.

Edited by Joar

7 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Egypt are taking a 45-year old goalkeeper with them to the finals. The only downside is he's not their number one from what I can see.

Roger Milla, Carlos Valderrama... Some fantastic oldies have been the finals. Any other golden oldies that anyone can remember?

Roger Milla was my favorite. I remember him dancing round the corner flag when I was 7. It was my first world cup and that's one of the first things I remember about it after that singer missed that penalty in the opening ceremony and they still ripped the goals apart .

Dino zoff played in his 40s for the older lads

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Off the top of my head; Lothar Mattheus, Dino Zoff, Paulo Maldini, Rashin, Stanley Matthews(?), Beckenbaur, Socrates, Hadji.

Pure guesswork of course.

Edited by bazza

I'm not into this World Cup as I have been in other ones. Playing "prediction games" can be found at this website:   https://www.predictthefootball.com/

I'm looking into it and have played in it the last 2 times. It seems more simple than making other people do the work in a prediction game.  And you can make your prediction up to game time. It's pretty good. I'm probably not saying anything new here. I haven't seen a contest posted here yet, but maybe I'm missing it.

My predictions are Germany then Spain to win the whole thing, I know I'm repeating myself. Anyway, I am going to work on perhaps getting a group together.

Can't believe Southgate is taking Danny Rose when he hasn't played most of the season then comes out with his mental problems. The player looks off the pace far too much to get upto speed for this coming world cup tournament.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Really impress by Rashford, Rose and Delph.

Rose has good forward all game. Best England left back in country by miles. 

Rashford looks threating at every opportunity. So skilful

Delph has played well by getting forward. Positional good 

Where's Everton's pick the ball out of the net goalie .

Edited by JAL

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Really impress by Rashford, Rose and Delph.

Rose has good forward all game. Best England left back in country by miles. 

Rashford looks threating at every opportunity. So skilful

Delph has played well by getting forward. Positional good 

Agreed. Rashford brimming with confidence, still behind Sterling but a great option, Delph is technically very good too, for me he should play alongside Henderson in the tougher games, and the wing backs have been fine. Henderson has been excellent too, some of his crisp passes forward have been key and his positional sense and leadership make him so much better than Eric Dier.

Loftus Cheek has not done anything, not convinced by his presence in the squad, hes too lethargic, and Vardy has not been involved and missed his chance.

Danny Rose is well off the pace. Another dummy .

Loftus cheek needs to just up his fitness and he'd start for me with Ali.

Loftus Cheeks fitness needs to be at or above the level of Lingaards for me. 

Edited by JAL

On 06/06/2018 at 18:47, Audax said:

I'm not into this World Cup as I have been in other ones.

Perhaps playing the Danny Welbeck World Cup Drinking  Game could revive interest?

In England's final group game he could go head to head against The poor man's Heskey (Lukaku). Double the fun, hic! ?

Watched all the warm up games. Think the first xi will be

----------------------Pickford 

--------Walker----Stones----Maguire 

Trippier--------Henderson---------Rose

---------Lingard--------------------Alli

---------------Kane-------Rashford

It's a big call to drop Sterling, but Rashford was superb. 

Harsh for Dier to be dropped but think Henderson has edged it, and the system doesn't really work with both of them in there.

Rest of team picks itself I think. Stones at centre of defence worries me a bit, but I think Southgate will definitely go for it. 

Were nowhere near the level of France, Germany etc. talent-wise but I have admiration for how Southgate has pulled the team together with a smart system. 

• Like 2