BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

I'm grateful for what we get, the largest margin of victory in a World Cup game by England I think, when they play Belgium, one might say, "well, neither team has pressure on them to win"... so, it will be to wait for the group H match up which as of now, would be Japan or Senegal... the group H matches are the next two, Japan Senegal, Poland Colombia.

• Backroom

Great result. We took our foot off the gas in the second half but that's understandable. No point risking injury or exhaustion when the game was already wrapped up. My only slight concern is that our defence was breached a few times by a poor Panama team, so that's something for Southgate to analyse. Overall a hugely positive result and I'm looking forward to the Belgium game. 

• Like 1

Just now, roverandout said:

Anyone deny kane is absolute world class now? 17 goals in 26 games

In fariness though - two spot kicks and and a goal he knew nothing about is probably not the match to make that statement on. I do believe he is world class though.

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, JacknOry said:

Good result - top of the group. Panama essentially just parked the bus - think they were playing 6-3-1 or something second half. We obviously didn't care too much as the job was done.

At least they calmed down a bit. Was worried they would injure one of our boys, but maybe their manager had a word at half time and told them to cut it out. Nothing to gain from playing like they did in the first half. 

• Like 1

Just now, roverandout said:

Anyone deny kane is absolute world class now? 17 goals in 26 games

Fantastic achievement you cant deny it, but what a strange game it is, when Stirling cant hit the net, yet its he, that has the winner's trophies to date.

Edited by JAL
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JAL said:

They told us at the start that everyone was having problems inside the stadium with the pictures and that the viewer would see replays before the commentators in the stadium.

I saw it in real time. The likes of Motson and Tyler wouldn't have missed that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Im a firm believer in southgate now..doing a great job..we wouldnt have played like this under sam

Great to hear. 

Southgate has given this team believe and confident. Has he has been through the good, bad and ugly teams with England

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Audax said:

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/germany-world-cup-scenarios-tiebreakers-how-the-defending-champs-rest-of-group-f-can-advance/

Germany's group F scenarios, yes, it does seem like it's all over but there is one more game to play.

Reading this article, actually, even Mexico can't completely lay their guard down, if somehow Sweden defeated Mexico, Germany defeats South Korea....there is a scenario where Mexico could be held back.   Even South Korea have an outside chance, nobody expects them to defeat Germany, we know.

I can't believe they don't let head to head resolve this. It looks like goal differential is mainly what decides ties in the standings.

Hmm. this doesn't resolve who gets the top spot if England and Belgium draw on Thursday...

Russia could hardly have had their Olympic athletes in the last Olympics, they entered under the Olympic flag. Some are good blokes who play in the National Hockey League, NHL like Alexander Ovechkin... but nonetheless, per the "doping perspective", I'd keep an eye on that but I'd think all of the athletes are being tested.

I also think we deliberately slowed down our game even more and played, rather badly, keepy keepy across the back to avoid tackles and confrontation with Panama, some of whose players had lost the plot in the first half.

Not the sort of game for Loftus Cheek to show what he can do nor for Sterling to shown if he can do it in an England shirt.

We panned the Panamanians and could have doubled our score if we had bothered.

Full marks to Maguire for his self control.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Some teams make a habit of scoring late goals. That's not down to luck. It's down to having the right attitude, mental toughness, self belief and having confidence in your ability.

It also often relies on an opposition player cracking under pressure. Case in point the idiot who made the needless foul to set up Kroos.

Essentially I agree with your points though.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

It also often relies on an opposition player cracking under pressure. Case in point the idiot who made the needless foul to set up Kroos.

Essentially I agree with your points though.

Jimmy Durmaz was the Swede who has gotten quite a bit of flack from yesterday's match. One can read it for themselves.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/24/sport/jimmy-durmaz-world-cup-sweden-racism-spt-intl/index.html

http://www.scmp.com/sport/soccer/article/2152212/fifa-world-cup-swedens-jimmy-durmaz-unfazed-social-media-race-hate

Even being threatened, Swedish FA files report with Police.

http://www.marca.com/en/world-cup/2018/06/24/5b2f9dcd46163f9c908b45c6.html

Edited by Audax

• Backroom
42 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Im a firm believer in southgate now..doing a great job..we wouldnt have played like this under sam

I think we'd still have 6/6 but you're right, it would have been a very different style of play. We probably would have beaten Tunisia more comfortably but not scored as many against Panama. Time to see how Southgate's team deals with a real attacking threat in Belgium. 

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

I think we'd still have 6/6 but you're right, it would have been a very different style of play. We probably would have beaten Tunisia more comfortably but not scored as many against Panama. Time to see how Southgate's team deals with a real attacking threat in Belgium. 

The way the draws shaping up, I would imagine that both sides would be quite happy to lose and come second. 

10 minutes ago, Audax said:

I was not aware of this reaction on the oddly named "social media". Sad to see.