BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

Social media, so, facebook, twitter, etc. I'm not into that social media.  Follow it a tiny, tiny bit.

Japan is pretty impressive, I wouldn't wager on them getting beyond the round of 16, they might but they certainly have some work ethic.

And England or Belgium could easily face either of these two in the round of 16.

Edited by Audax

There's some good old fashioned BRFCS negativity going on after the Panama game despite the great result. England slowed it down in the second half as they didn't want to get involved in any antics that the Panamanians were trying. Cooper, I think, elbowed both Lingard and Maguire. Others were rolling around like they were on fire if an England player touched them. It was disgraceful from Panama. They were much inferior and resorted to idiocy.

Kane may have scored a fortunate 3rd but his 2 penalties were taken with real confidence. Hard to take that away from him. 

Be happy with what commentators you have. Fox have the World Cup in the USA. I had to listen to ex USA women's international Ally Wagner during the England game. There's also Dr. Joe Machnick who provides referee analysis periodically. He's modelled on their NFL coverage, and is useless. Studio insight is provided by Alexi Lalas, who is a first class goon.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

There's some good old fashioned BRFCS negativity going on after the Panama game despite the great result. England slowed it down in the second half as they didn't want to get involved in any antics that the Panamanians were trying. Cooper, I think, elbowed both Lingard and Maguire. Others were rolling around like they were on fire if an England player touched them. It was disgraceful from Panama. They were much inferior and resorted to idiocy.

Kane may have scored a fortunate 3rd but his 2 penalties were taken with real confidence. Hard to take that away from him. 

Be happy with what commentators you have. Fox have the World Cup in the USA. I had to listen to ex USA women's international Ally Wagner during the England game. There's also Dr. Joe Machnick who provides referee analysis periodically. He's modelled on their NFL coverage, and is useless. Studio insight is provided by Alexi Lalas, who is a first class goon.

First paragraph, A

Last paragraph.......well, uh, I know I'm not going to like some of what Lalas says per one of the last World Cups but I think he's reeled it in a bit.  I can tolerate him because he's Alexi and was pretty good back in 1994. Yeah, I get it how he can be irritating, he was hard on England back in 2010 I believe..... I gave away my football video VCRs,  they took too much space .... but the USA hosted  World Cup'94, of course, that is the last one England missed..... and then, after the World Cup in July/August,  1994, USA and England played a friendly at Wimbledon .

It's amazing, upon watching that video that though, England missed that World Cup, the crowd is as loud and enthusiastic as all get out. I almost don't understand it. That's the way it was in '94. Okay, personal anecdote, just commenting.

Oh yeah, England did win.

alexi-lalas-2482c879dfca8027.jpg

Edited by Audax

8 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

i watched the first game via stream on Fox as I couldnt bare to see Murphy, I know exactly what you are saying. That Ally Wagner knows her stuff but to me it is typical Americanized over analytical stuff that casual watchers surely will not understand. Lalas is a plonker and for the first game Ian Wright was on there and to me was not really himself and just towed the line.

As for the part on the game tonight, completely agree. Was so hypocritical after some of the shenanigans that the Panamanians were doing to then act so pathetically when a player of ours would knock a ball away a few feet when they had a throw in or free kick - tame stuff compared to them but they would shove our players and act like we were the cheats. That CB (Gomez?) he was the worst of the lot - a complete thug. Always bringing players down, punching Kane in the head after already wrestling him to the ground and generally just being a complete prick.

Still worried about creativity from this team, only goals from open play being Lingards strike, and Lanes deflection.

Other than that very pleased to be going into the Belgium game qualified, and almost in a position of being able to pick the side of the draw we prefer.

• Like 2

Just now, Baz said:

Still worried about creativity from this team, only goals from open play being Lingards strike, and Lanes deflection.

Other than that very pleased to be going into the Belgium game qualified, and almost in a position of being able to pick the side of the draw we prefer.

Nah we carved open Tunisia at will as they gave us more space and we really should have had at least 3 more against them. Pananama were a big more dogged, dirty and defensive minded - the game was so stop start with free kicks and penalties that we hardly had the chance to be more fluid through them in the first half. Secind half they just camped and we took our foot off the gas.

I am not concerned going forward against the better teams so much - its at the back I worry. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

i watched the first game via stream on Fox as I couldnt bare to see Murphy, I know exactly what you are saying. That Ally Wagner knows her stuff but to me it is typical Americanized over analytical stuff that casual watchers surely will not understand. Lalas is a plonker and for the first game Ian Wright was on there and to me was not really himself and just towed the line.

As for the part on the game tonight, completely agree. Was so hypocritical after some of the shenanigans that the Panamanians were doing to then act so pathetically when a player of ours would knock a ball away a few feet when they had a throw in or free kick - tame stuff compared to them but they would shove our players and act like we were the cheats. That CB (Gomez?) he was the worst of the lot - a complete thug. Always bringing players down, punching Kane in the head after already wrestling him to the ground and generally just being a complete prick.

Watching Fox while on hols in Florida - painful! 

‘Roster’ ..... ‘locker room’ ..... ‘defense’ ...... ‘offense’  ..... oh dear me! Started watching the Spanish channel just so I don’t have to listen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAL said:

True Tony on another note was really impressed with the referee was you. 

I think overall the refereeing has been decent John but some are relying on VAR for what look to be bread and butter decisions in my opinion. The referee today didn't and he was correct with both penalties. As you know sometimes gut reaction is invariably correct and decisions are given instinctively. It was for me anyhow.

3 hours ago, DE. said:

I think we'd still have 6/6 but you're right, it would have been a very different style of play. We probably would have beaten Tunisia more comfortably but not scored as many against Panama. Time to see how Southgate's team deals with a real attacking threat in Belgium. 

I'd take a Big Sam team to gets us a result against Belgium more than I would a Southgate team. We're OK going forward but we look like conceding at the back even against the minnows like Panama.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd take a Big Sam team to gets us a result against Belgium more than I would a Southgate team. We're OK going forward but we look like conceding at the back even against the minnows like Panama.

Bull..we had the game wrapped up half time..sam would have picked the old guard..southgate has done a fine job so far and i was one who wanted him out before the tournament

• Like 2

Pickford- not much to do apart from pick the ball out of the net. Not had a real save to make yet.

Walker - bags of pace but only a brain fade away from a bad error.

Stones- had a good tournament so far. Two terrific headers.

McGuire - OK but I'm not totally convinced yet.

Trippier- possibly our best player so far, set piece delivery is the best by any player.

Lingard  - brilliant goal but I'm not up there with Danny Murphy's glowing estimate of him.

Henderson - steady on the ball but not as good as I would like at the defensive side of the game.

Loftus-Cheek - quiet today.

Young - not contributed much in two games.

Kane - touched the ball about 10 times but has 5 goals to his name. Unstoppable penalties.

Sterling - missed an absolute sitter of an header. Time for Rashford to get a chance.

The three subs hardly had a significant effect on the game.

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The three subs hardly had a significant effect on the game.

Agree with all your ratings.

Coming on 5 goals to the good with 20 minutes left is surely the dream scenario to stamp your case for inclusion?

7 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Bull..we had the game wrapped up half time..sam would have picked the old guard..southgate has done a fine job so far and i was one who wanted him out before the tournament

I've always had time for Allardyce but I agree with this. Rooney, Cahill and co. would be in the team and the pace would be much slower.

16 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Let's wait and see how we go on against a proper team before we get carried away. Transylvania and Treasure Island aren't a proper test.

Fat Sam would have picked a team of has beens and fired exocets at Kane's throat.  We'd of drawn v Tunisia and won 1-0 today. He'd then set up not to concede v Belgium then been floundering when we conceded. Him and Sammy Lee would have wasted another 4 years on donkeys.

Edited by Rover_Shaun
  • Like 3

After that last World Cup, I'm pleased as a peach to see how this has gone and a nice flowing game frequently, one can always say you should have better opposition. England could meet Japan in the next round. It's pretty amazing that Japan came down from a goal down twice. Quality team. Vs. Belgium? Both are advancing, so we'll see.