BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

From what I have heard and read people just need to calm down a bit about England yes its great to win 2 from 2 but having seen every team twice, I think that we have probably played the two worst teams in the tournament. It is a real worry that we have conceded in both games especially as we have been under hardly any pressure defensively, I worry what may happen when we come up against a good attacking team. Also I keep hearing about how good and dangerous England look going forward but only two of our goals have not come from set pieces and one of them was a fluke, we need to start scoring more from open play as when we play a good organised team you aren't going to get free headers at goal or penalties from naïve fouls . 

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

From what I have heard and read people just need to calm down a bit about England yes its great to win 2 from 2 but having seen every team twice, I think that we have probably played the two worst teams in the tournament. It is a real worry that we have conceded in both games especially as we have been under hardly any pressure defensively, I worry what may happen when we come up against a good attacking team. Also I keep hearing about how good and dangerous England look going forward but only two of our goals have not come from set pieces and one of them was a fluke, we need to start scoring more from open play as when we play a good organised team you aren't going to get free headers at goal or penalties from naïve fouls . 

I don't think Tunisia is that poor and this reminds me of when England played Algeria in 2010, result? Draw. It may not mean anything to people but Tunisia is #21 FIFA rankings I believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_Group_C

England had problems winning vs. Tunisia but they opened up very strongly.

Panama? Well, they were thoroughly dominated.

• Like 1

Just now, Audax said:

I don't think Tunisia is that poor and this reminds me of when England played Algeria in 2010, result? Draw. It may not mean anything to people but Tunisia is #21 FIFA rankings I believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_Group_C

England had problems winning vs. Tunisia but they opened up very strongly.

Panama? Well, they were thoroughly dominated.

That was a decent Algeria side don't forget 4 years later they took Germany (who would go on to win the tournament) to extra time. The World Rankings certainly don't mean much to me as I am currently watching Poland who according to them are the 8th best team in the world.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

That was a decent Algeria side don't forget 4 years later they took Germany (who would go on to win the tournament) to extra time. The World Rankings certainly don't mean much to me as I am currently watching Poland who according to them are the 8th best team in the world.

One can say Poland losing to Senegal was mainly due to a flukey goal. Poland doesn't look good here, but for argument's sake, one could say that other match was a draw.

Just now, Audax said:

One can say Poland losing to Senegal was mainly due to a flukey goal. Poland doesn't look good here, but for argument's sake, one could say that other match was a draw.

There are numerous other erroneous rankings for example the Dutch are ranked 17 despite failing to make the world cup or Euro 16. Russia one of the team of the tournament so far are ranked 70 a whole 28 places behind Scotland.

31 minutes ago, Tom said:

Colombia look a team when they get going, their fans are insane they make an awesome racket 

Pablo Escobar's ghost still lingering probably...can't imagine how many pitch invasions there were in Colombia in the 80's, early 90's all those white lines...

Edited by Vinjay17

Just now, roverandout said:

Colombia have 1 or 2 quality players...i would fancy us to beat them 9 times out of ten

They've got what we desperately need - a playmaker in James and destroyer in Barrios. If we had those two in place of say Henderson and Loftus-Cheek we have more of a chance. They'll give anybody a game going off tonight's showing.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

25 minutes ago, Audax said:

Poland's been shredded by Senegal and now, Colombia. There's a lesson there.  Poland's slow movement reminds me some of how some England teams have played in the past, one needs some speed, some cohesive movement at least.

Agree with that. Poland did remind me of previous England performances.  Slow, isolated, unimaginative, direct. For  England Southgate has done a great job of rebuilding the system from the ground up to make sure we work as a team. You could see that in how well drilled and joined up we were.

Anyhow, sensational score line and great performance today but you have to say it wasn't really much of a test as Panama are by any measure an abysmal side.

Belgium will be be first indicator of if we really are in with a shout. Southgate is likely in my estimation to stick with his attacking system with only one holding player. Pretty bold when you consider the outrageous talent Belgium have. But he wants to play it his way which is admirable.

If our inexperienced back three can live with the fabulous trio of Lukaku, Hazard and De Bruyne then we can look forwards with hope. That said Hazard running at Maguire, and Lukaku bullying Stones does fill me with a certain amount of dread. Walkers recovery pace is going to be key I feel...

It should be a good game I think. I can't see us going looking for a draw. Can swe us winning well or getting utterly spanked.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They've got what we desperately need - a playmaker in James and destroyer in Barrios. They'll give anybody a game going off tonight's showing.

Poland are awfull..kane would have a field day against colombia..and james is a good player but nothing more

Just now, roverandout said:

Colombia have 1 or 2 quality players...i would fancy us to beat them 9 times out of ten

That's a bit of a rose tinted perspective in my view. Player for player they are on our level. James is a better player than anyone we have. They've got a lot of pace and skill across the side.

Sort of team who could easily knock us out.  That just reality, no point getting carried away at the moment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Fat Sam would have picked a team of has beens and fired exocets at Kane's throat.  We'd of drawn v Tunisia and won 1-0 today. He'd then set up not to concede v Belgium then been floundering when we conceded. Him and Sammy Lee would have wasted another 4 years on donkeys.

Or we'd have won both games also.

22 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

That's a bit of a rose tinted perspective in my view. Player for player they are on our level. James is a better player than anyone we have. They've got a lot of pace and skill across the side.

Sort of team who could easily knock us out.  That just reality, no point getting carried away at the moment.

No kane is better than anything they have.. couldnt get in the real madrid team..loaned out to  bayern..did nothing there