BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Couldn't get in the Real Madrid team, he must be crap then. 

I never said he was crap..not denying colombia have some good players but man for man we are better than them..maybe 9 times out of ten was steep..7 times out of 10 is more realistic

10 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

From what I have heard and read people just need to calm down a bit about England yes its great to win 2 from 2 but having seen every team twice, I think that we have probably played the two worst teams in the tournament. It is a real worry that we have conceded in both games especially as we have been under hardly any pressure defensively, I worry what may happen when we come up against a good attacking team. Also I keep hearing about how good and dangerous England look going forward but only two of our goals have not come from set pieces and one of them was a fluke, we need to start scoring more from open play as when we play a good organised team you aren't going to get free headers at goal or penalties from naïve fouls . 

We’ve only played two games!

• Like 3

Does it matter where the goals come from? Big feather in our cap that we seem to be great in dead ball situations as teams will be very wary of that. Goals from open play will come too but I would take goals from corners, penalties and free kicks all day long if it means we continue to progress in the tournament.

Anyway, technically you could say Stones second was from open play when Sterling really should have buried it himself.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, roverandout said:

I never said he was crap..not denying colombia have some good players but man for man we are better than them..maybe 9 times out of ten was steep..7 times out of 10 is more realistic

I'd prefer not to play them in the next round. If they play like they did last night I'd want at least a one goal start before I'd back England. We'd struggle with the sheer pace they play the game at.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd prefer not to play them in the next round. If they play like they did last night I'd want at least a one goal start before I'd back England. We'd struggle with the sheer pace they play the game at.

We also have pace

Lingard does look excellent, particularly in the system that Southgate has created. It's ideal for him. 

From his perspective he will need to watch what happens at Man Utd next year. I think he may not be a first team starter if they make all their signings - if they get a top level partner for Pogba he won't play. If that turns out to be the case he should be moving elsewhere - even if he has to go abroad. Suspect he will suck it up and sit on the bench though, like far too many English players. Plus United will probably ask for ridiculous money for him which no interested party can afford.

The trials of being a decent English player.

Edited by joey_big_nose

58 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Anyone else thinking lingard is turning into a really top player?

Certainly outperforming some of the bigger names expected to do well. Sterling and Ali in particular have always had trouble bringing their club form to the England team.

• Like 1

Just now, roverandout said:

Colombia did this against a pedestrian, one paced side..wait till they come up against a decent team before judging them

Couldn't the same be said about England?They have done well and Southgate seems to have created a good team spirit and the tactics been spot on but they have played nobody yet

Senegal Japan 4 points,  draw and win.

Colombia 3 points.....lost versus Japan, play Senegal next.....

I do think, the majority probably think Colombia will take Senegal, it might take them until after halftime or so to do it.  So, the challenge is up to Senegal, draw or better, Senegal advances.   Senegal defeated that pedestrian side only with that fluke goal. Otherwise, a draw was in the making. I wouldn't judge a team on one match. Colombia lost to Japan of all teams. So, Senegal has their chance. Can they exploit it?

Just now, islander200 said:

Couldn't the same be said about England?They have done well and Southgate seems to have created a good team spirit and the tactics been spot on but they have played nobody yet

The last year has been harsh on Panama but they did well enough in the qualifiers; using the kind of reasoning that Panama and Tunisia are not good teams, that England got in a poor group, Belgium only defeated Panama 3-0,  it took them some time to break Panama down. England's appearance clearly was stronger.

On 24/06/2018 at 13:25, Vinjay17 said:

What a lazy simplistic view. They aren't in England or Belgium's class hardly makes them rubbish. First time qualified for WC they are entitled to be treated with a bit more respect.

You have a bloody cheek pulling someone up for holding a 'lazy, simplistic view' (see below). And as it happens the poster was proved to be totally correct, Panama were rubbish.

On 24/06/2018 at 13:38, Vinjay17 said:

That typical latin temperament I guess. They did look a little hot headed at times in their last game. Didn't go "over the top" though in my view but I didn't see the entire game either.

23 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Is it one of those christenings where the parents never set foot in a church for years afterwards? If so should have just stayed at home.

16 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Pablo Escobar's ghost still lingering probably...can't imagine how many pitch invasions there were in Colombia in the 80's, early 90's all those white lines...

• Like 1

These early games don't decide much,

Who will face Spain and who will face Portugal, some would say who will face Ronaldo...but it's still a team sport.

------------------------------

Even if the usual Debbie Downers would put down Saudi and Egypt, this is a bit of a derby, they are still playing for regional pride.

Edited by Audax

17 hours ago, roverandout said:

Colombia have 1 or 2 quality players...i would fancy us to beat them 9 times out of ten

I think most of James, Falcao, Cuadrado, and Zapata would walk into our squad, if not our starting line-up.  They've also got Mina who Barcelona splashed out 12m on so he must be decent too.  As for England, we've done OK but only just beat Tunisia - and were pretty average and predictable for two-thirds of that game - and yesterday we put an extremely poor side to the sword thanks to some excellent set pieces, one cracking goal, a lucky deflection and Panama thinking it was a WWE match and not a football one.  I think there's more to come from England, and we'd give Colombia a good game but I'd say it was at best 50/50 as to whether we'd beat them.  Also, I'd drop Ashley Young and Sterling, both of whom have done eff all in the first 2 games and replace with Rose or Delph and Rashford.  And James was poor at BM and RM?  28 goals in 77 games, at Real and 7 in 23 at Bayern from a midfielder is pretty decent in my book.

Edited by MarkBRFC71
  • Like 1

Just now, MarkBRFC71 said:

I think most of James, Falcao, Cuadrado, and Zapata would walk into our squad, if not our starting line-up.  They've also got Mina who Barcelona splashed out 12m on so he must be decent too.  As for England, we've done OK but only just beat Tunisia - and were pretty average and predictable for two-thirds of that game - and yesterday we put an extremely poor side to the sword thanks to some excellent set pieces, one cracking goal, a lucky deflection and Panama thinking it was a WWE match and not a football one.  I think there's more to come from England, and we'd give Colombia a good game but I'd say it was at best 50/50 as to whether we'd beat them.  Also, I'd drop Ashley Young and Sterling, both of whom have done eff all in the first 2 games and replace with Rose or Delph and Rashford.  And James was poor at BM and RM?  28 goals in 77 games, at Real and 7 in 23 at Bayern from a midfielder is pretty decent in my book.

Agree on james..the rest may get into our squad but not first team..we were excellent against tunisia..and we slaughtered panama when most teams have struggled against the smaller nations this world cup..im very happy with our progress..unlike some..i was a bit harsh on james' record.

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Never said england werent playing against poor opposition

I knew the goalkeeper might block that penalty kick, he did....

Egypt's goalkeeper is 45 years old, oldest player ever in the World Cup....he's pretty spry.  I don't think he played in the prior two Egyptian matches, maybe he should have. El Hadari.

https://us.soccerway.com/players/esam-el-hadary/21388/

VAR looking at play, ref wants to give KSA another penalty, soft penalty, if it goes through.

Edited by Audax