BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

24 minutes ago, arbitro said:

And that is where VAR is infallible when dealing with matters of fact. The wider aspect which involves the opinions of several people is the problem.

Indeed. The weak point in most systems is human beings. Some of the VAR officials don’t seem to be competent. Or because of the “beauty” of football opinions, one person could be adamant that an incident is a penalty when everyone else in the room disagrees. This creating doubt and removing the  “clear and obvious error” elements.

It has been more successful than I expected. The reaction from the Korean players awaiting the outcome was the other positive of the system. And it was the right outcome.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

This is why I like VAR. In the last a dodgy decision from a weak linesman would have given the ‘bigger’ side and advantage. Probably leading to them winning. It seems more objective now.

How was the linesman weak, he saw offside, he could not see the, very good lol, pass from a German. VAR certainly saved the day on this one and I'm warming to it.

Human error will always be it's weakness and it's point/ reason for application needs clarity.

A firm decision on whom is finally in control of it - the onfield Ref or VAR as at present I cannot work it out and it seems to change on type of incident.

Correctly applied there will be penalties every game until holding/pushing in the box fades away. Ideally I want a foul in the box viewed in the same way as if it occurred anywhere else on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

.t has been more successful than I expected. The reaction from the Korean players awaiting the outcome was the other positive of the system. And it was the right outcome.

Is it unkind of me to suggest the reaction of the German players ,and the thousands of German fans in the stands, was a third superb reason? I'll never say a bad word about VAR again.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Baz said:

You don't need to be 'clever', - as the last game to kick off, and at zero risk of elimination, we are in the perfect position to choose, because of the last 2 performances.

If Belgium are already talking about resting half their team, why wouldn't we follow the same logic?  How much credit / impetus can you take from winning the game if the Belgians are happy for second place anyway?

The only thing resting on tomorrow's game is if we finish top or second. An opportunity to give tired players, those with knocks, those on a booking a game off, and some who haven't had a game a run out.

The competition is about who's there at the end, and winning the thing. No one will care if we avoid the tough half of the draw, and in just a couple of years no-one will even remember. League cup for example -Spurs routed Chelsea in a pulsating derby, there first win over them in years at the time, we played a poor Sheff Weds team from the league below, and just edged it. Who cares, we won the final.

We could even draw, and still finish second if we pick up 2 more yellows than them.  

I know mathematically it's not complicated, but team spirit, self respect, the respect of the supporters and momentum will all take a significant hit if we deliberately throw the game. Also Belgium are the first really decent team Southgates side has played competitively. Probably first England have played full stop since Uruguay in 2014. They need to establish their credentials to themselves, let alone anyone else. Not really the time to bugger about.

I'll be very surprised if we don't go to try and win the game.

It would be a complete farce of a game and us as well as Belgium would not be looked at in a good light. If Belgium are practically throwing the tie, we should be the bigger man.

Even if we tried to, its not like we can force them to score and beat us unless we embarassingly start trying to outscore them in own goals. Then what, we try get bookings to send us second on disciplinary? They would react to keep us behind - lets just have a big fight on the pitch.

Sod all that, play to win - if they want to secure runners up let them have it while we stonk them 5-0 and boost our boys confidence no-end.

• Like 2

VAR has denied us all the Brazil v Germany game.

I agree with putting a decent team out and giving Belgium a good pasting. We're in a terrible position regarding the 'easier draw', I mean WTF are we gonna do if it's still 0-0? Score an own goal? Plus, we all remember what happened 2 years ago when we got the easier draw?

Best thing to happen would be a Colombia win and Japan draw - at least throw the 'difficult side of the draw' a bit of a bone.

Then England win, and get Vardy on the Golden Boot chase . . ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

How was the linesman weak, he saw offside, he could not see the, very good lol, pass from a German. VAR certainly saved the day on this one and I'm warming to it.

Human error will always be it's weakness and it's point/ reason for application needs clarity.

A firm decision on whom is finally in control of it - the onfield Ref or VAR as at present I cannot work it out and it seems to change on type of incident.

Correctly applied there will be penalties every game until holding/pushing in the box fades away. Ideally I want a foul in the box viewed in the same way as if it occurred anywhere else on the pitch.

It was a generalisation. ‘Last’ should have said ‘past’ - bloody autocorrect!

POLSKA!!! 1-0

Senegal hanging on against Colombia, 0-0.

I don't know who advances if Senegal and Colombia draw, it almost sounds like it could be Senegal and Coliombia OR could be down to goal difference.

Edited by Audax

14 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So what do you suggest if we look like We're in danger of drawing and finishing top  then? Instruct the team to start kicking lumps out of the opposition?

I understand the need to make a few changes to give one or two players a game but all this talk in the media today of it being maybe advantageous to finish second to go into the easier half of the draw is complete nonsense imo.

If we lose then it will be a real momentum and confidence killer no matter which combination of players are put out. If we win the camp will be absolutely bouncing after topping the group with three wins out of three.

For me, play your normal game and just beat whoever is put in front of you.

Sure, if it 0-0 5 mins to go, then as i think the bookings are discarded after the group stage, I see no harm in trying to subtlety manipulating the outcome, by kicking the ball away a couple of times.

Incidentally, the best way to sort this is not to have a pre-agreed draw, but allow those finishing top to pick which tie they want in the second round. The teams will probably even themselves out then. 

Shucks, looks like the last African team is going out.....Senegal should have done better with at least one of those chances.... it was a very good look.

Senegal needs to almost send everyone, goalkeeper included up....

Edited by Audax

8 minutes ago, Audax said:

Shucks, looks like the last African team is going out.....Senegal should have done better with at least one of those chances.... it was a very good look.

Senegal needs to almost send everyone, goalkeeper included up....

4 more years! ?

Pele.jpg

• Backroom

Having seen the end of the Japan Poland game I hope we beat Japan 10-0 in the next round, shocking stuff really, just a shame Senegal didn’t score at the end.