BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

• Backroom
Just now, roversfan99 said:

How is it justice? The rules state thats what the outcome is for a professional foul, Modric then missed the penalty, the correct decision was made.

Because it is, lad was about to tap it in and win the game before a cynical foul (I think he knew what he was doing and would have taken a red card ala Suarez v Ghana in 2010), feels right that they went on to win.

Justice!

• Like 3

Just now, Tom said:

Because it is, lad was about to tap it in and win the game before a cynical foul (I think he knew what he was doing and would have taken a red card ala Suarez v Ghana in 2010), feels right that they went on to win.

Justice!

He nearly got the ball, so I think there was a genuine attempt to get the ball.

Professional fouls are part of the game. If it had been Denmark kicking someone down on the half way line to stop a counter the word justice wouldnt be used.

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

A collection of some of the worst penalty takers in recent memory. Jeez... half of them looked like they'd never kicked a ball before. Modric very lucky that his penalty went through, could easily have missed two out of two.

No reason to fear Croatia based on tonight. 

Denmark's last penalty was the worst on target penalty I've ever seen. Dummy, wait for the keeper to dive, then fluff it straight at him ?

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Husky said:

Denmark's last penalty was the worst on target penalty I've ever seen. Dummy, wait for the keeper to dive, then fluff it straight at him ?

Yeah, when I saw the keeper dive early I thought the guy would easily slot it to the other side. Instead he just punts it in the same direction at a perfect height. I appreciate it's a high pressure situation, but that one was a gimme.

Both Spain and Croatia very tactically poor tonight. Outrageous really when you consider the wealth of talent each side has. What a bizarre world cup. All the most talented teams are having stinkers, except Brazil, Belgium and France.   

Spain needed to get the ball into the box far more often, while Croatia lost their midfield shape totally in the second half. Croatia scraped through but I don't  fancy them against the Russians who will defend even better than the Danes did.  Never thought I would say that. 

It is looking very tempting for England as the one thing we do have if we end up playing a ultra defensive side like Russia is Harry Kane to get the ball into.  And we're also pretty good at set pieces. So we could make it happen against the likes of Sweden or Russia. That said we have to negotiate a  tough opponent in Colombia first. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Justice!

The rule change gives the refs a cop out. I agree with you, he tackled from behind and made sure he got the man first and in doing so almost got his toe on the ball. From memory if the tackle was outside the box and still an open goal, it definitely would be a red card. 

You'll get a lot more defenders sything players down from behind if they watch the outcome of today's game.

Spain paid for being too pedestrian. They have so much skill but no end product. They didn't impress before today, and went out to an organized and enthusiastic home nation. When they were the kings of the world they had killer strikers with pace in Villa and Torres who would benefit from incisive through balls that Spain's crew could play regularly. As good as Costa is he's not a player who can run in behind defenders, thus stifling the attack. Add that to the fact that Spain have no pace in midfield to run past Costa made it worse. Costa should have stuck with the nation of his birth.

Croatia-Denmark was a very boring game that cried out for some excitement. Some bad penalties failed to add to it. I appreciate the take on the Modric penalty. I thought it should have been a red, but if the rule is a genuine attempt for a ball isn't one, then so be it. 

It's been a wonderful world cup. There are more hair raisers to come. 

For the first time in a while England have a cohesive team. Let's back them and hope for the best on Tuesday. This weekend has proven that team play is worth more than individual talent.

7 minutes ago, philipl said:

One of today's games will go to extra time and the other will be easy. Fancy Mexico to really challenge Brazil but Belgium's De Bruyn and Hazard to have too much for Japan to handle.

I'm not counting on anything.  Yesterday I assumed both Croatia and Spain would get easy wins but quite the opposite happened.

Its would be  keeping for this world cup if Japan and Mexico end up going through.

Do think Brazil have too much quality though, and they - unlike Spain - will attack relentlessly. Belgium seems the likelier slip up. But then they are very adaptable. If Japan defend ultra deep they can start pumping it into the box for Lukaku.

54 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'm not counting on anything.  Yesterday I assumed both Croatia and Spain would get easy wins but quite the opposite happened.

Its would be  keeping for this world cup if Japan and Mexico end up going through.

Do think Brazil have too much quality though, and they - unlike Spain - will attack relentlessly. Belgium seems the likelier slip up. But then they are very adaptable. If Japan defend ultra deep they can start pumping it into the box for Lukaku.

Working on the premiss Brazil haven't got going yet and this is a generationally good Mexico side which can pose Brazil many questions.

The Japanese won't have encountered the kind of creativity Belgium have and Lukaku is a the sort of big bully against smaller and less able opponents which makes today's game ideal for him.

Watch me get this all wrong!

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Working on the premiss Brazil haven't got going yet and this is a generationally good Mexico side which can pose Brazil many questions.

The Japanese won't have encountered the kind of creativity Belgium have and Lukaku is a the sort of big bully against smaller and less able opponents which makes today's game ideal for him.

Anything can happen I reckon - Yoshida is a unit at the back, could be a good tussle.

4 hours ago, philipl said:

I suspect the flat track bully will score today and then go missing against Brazil next game.

13 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Spain paid for being too pedestrian. They have so much skill but no end product. They didn't impress before today, and went out to an organized and enthusiastic home nation. When they were the kings of the world they had killer strikers with pace in Villa and Torres who would benefit from incisive through balls that Spain's crew could play regularly. As good as Costa is he's not a player who can run in behind defenders, thus stifling the attack. Add that to the fact that Spain have no pace in midfield to run past Costa made it worse. Costa should have stuck with the nation of his birth.

Croatia-Denmark was a very boring game that cried out for some excitement. Some bad penalties failed to add to it. I appreciate the take on the Modric penalty. I thought it should have been a red, but if the rule is a genuine attempt for a ball isn't one, then so be it. 

It's been a wonderful world cup. There are more hair raisers to come. 

For the first time in a while England have a cohesive team. Let's back them and hope for the best on Tuesday. This weekend has proven that team play is worth more than individual talent.

Dont agree on skill..they showed very little of that just pass pass pass..backwards

Mexico has played Brazil many times. Mexico may play up to the opposition I think.....they'll be up for this. 

I'd go with Mexico.  They seem to be good lads.... except for Rafael Marquez who I believe they said is starting....he's been in some hot water. MXC 2-1.

Japan/Belgium, who knows? After those two fine matches yesterday....I wrote down 2-1 Belgium to win....

Update: 0-0 AGAIN at half.... at this rate, it would be a draw obv..... Mexico starting out attacking, Brazil getting some licks in....the lack of goals is a bit disappointing.....difficult to see Brazil winning this at this rate,  Mexico perhaps.

Edited by Audax