BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Celebrity Deaths

19 minutes ago, jodrell said:

apparentley he had Cancer as well. Not many of the world cup winning side alive now.

Bobby Charlton, Geoff Hurst, George Cohen and Roger Hunt are the only ones still with us.

Another true footballing hero gone with Nobby's passing.

RIP.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Bobby Charlton, Geoff Hurst, George Cohen and Roger Hunt are the only ones still with us.

Another true footballing hero gone with Nobby's passing.

RIP.

Interestingly of that World Cup squad that died about 50 percent are from Alzheimer’s. The average rate is about 13 . Brain injury in sport is a big killer 

7 hours ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Interestingly of that World Cup squad that died about 50 percent are from Alzheimer’s. The average rate is about 13 . Brain injury in sport is a big killer 

I hated heading the ball so I avoided it as much as I possibly could in training etc. I'm glad I did now. Three of the centre halves I played with have had problems. One died from early onset dementia and the other two have Parkinsons.

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 12:33, gumboots said:

Rugby union legend JJ Williams has died too

He was a very good player Gumboots but the likes of Barry John, Gareth Edwards, JPR Williams, Phil Bennett are legends from that era. I hated the Welsh team of the seventies, we could never beat them, every player seemed to be a match winner. You should track down some old film of them if you've become a Rugby Union convert.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He was a very good player Gumboots but the likes of Barry John, Gareth Edwards, JPR Williams, Phil Bennett are legends from that era. I hated the Welsh team of the seventies, we could never beat them, every player seemed to be a match winner. You should track down some old film of them if you've become a Rugby Union convert.

I, and my sister's got JPR Williams' autograph at the Hong Kong 7s one year. My mum is from Pontypridd, so she recognised him as a Welsh legend, but we were too young and naive to realise how great he was. Going up and asking was a bit awkward as we didn't really know who he was. My mum used to sometimes see Barry John in a coffee shop when she was skiving off school with her friends.

10 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I, and my sister's got JPR Williams' autograph at the Hong Kong 7s one year. My mum is from Pontypridd, so she recognised him as a Welsh legend, but we were too young and naive to realise how great he was. Going up and asking was a bit awkward as we didn't really know who he was. My mum used to sometimes see Barry John in a coffee shop when she was skiving off school with her friends.

Every one of their back division was a match winner, JPR at full back was a brilliant full back on attack and defence, brave as a lion. He got caught at the bottom of a ruck in one game and somebody raked his scalp with a boot. The blood was pouring from his head but he went off for stitches and came back wearing a " turban " , still running the ball in as hard as ever. Edwards was the best union scrum half I ever saw bar none.  He had pace, strength, a great kicking game, fantastic hands, brains - the full monty. Barry John made playing out half look ridiculously easy. Gerald Davies on the right wing, he was really quick and elusive.  As I said they beat England every year for about 10 seasons on the run. 

I'm a League fan myself but you've got to hold your hand up when you see brilliant players. Everyone of those players would have made it big in Rugby League.

Barry John packed up at 26, not even at his peak,  which is incredible really. He wouldn’t do it these days with the money around now. I think he became a bit of a sad case in later life. Spoke to Gerald Davies a few times, nice chap, great player but he couldn’t write. His copy was terrible

Talking of league, I've watched a couple of recent games, and it is crap in this hemisphere. So often it is one pass to a big lad until the 4th tackle, and then get inventive. I saw one NRL game, with the eels playing the Rabbitohs, and there was more excitement and innovation in the 20 minutes I caught than the last few superleague games I've seen. 

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Barry John packed up at 26, not even at his peak,  which is incredible really. He wouldn’t do it these days with the money around now. I think he became a bit of a sad case in later life. Spoke to Gerald Davies a few times, nice chap, great player but he couldn’t write. His copy was terrible

Didn't Barry John pack it in to try out as a footballer with Newport ? After that he lost his amateur status right away, that's what happened in those days. He would have made a fortune in Rugby League in that era.

• Like 1

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

Talking of league, I've watched a couple of recent games, and it is crap in this hemisphere. So often it is one pass to a big lad until the 4th tackle, and then get inventive. I saw one NRL game, with the eels playing the Rabbitohs, and there was more excitement and innovation in the 20 minutes I caught than the last few superleague games I've seen. 

The NRL is a terrific comp.

• Backroom
14 hours ago, philipl said:

Connery saying it was ok to hit women and he did it was totally unacceptable.

But he was THE James Bond.

Phrases have passed into the English language in his voice.

Resht in peesh

18 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I watched them live at the time. Dont remember Barry John but the others, yes. I've seen videos of John. I've always watched union, just never had a team to support. Middlesbrough isn't known for being a rugby area. Used to watch all the televised stuff though

• Like 1

On 31/10/2020 at 13:56, tomphil said:

Connery  RIP

Moore

Craig

The rest are irrelevant when it comes to Bond.

"I must be dreaming." ?

Connery is Bond for me. Or vice versa.

He had the character just right with the mixture of charm and underlying ruthlessness that was apparent in Ian Fleming's books which were written in a completely different era.

The rest were just playing at it for me although I'll give Daniel Craig his due, he's been very good and has got closer to the original than anyone else. He also rescued a franchise that was dying on it's arse after nonsense like invisible cars in Die another Day.

RIP.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 3