Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Celebrity Deaths


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Rogerb said:

Was brian close over 40 by that time?

He was 45 and the day after the test finished played a Gillette Cup game for Somerset and scored a half century in it.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember John Edrich and Brian Close facing up to the most fearsome spell of bowling I've ever seen. Every other ball was a bouncer. The Windies over stepped the line of what cricket is supposed to be all about that day in my opinion. I liked Clive Lloyd but he went down a long way in my opinion with that performance.

A dreadful cricket wicket that was not fit for cricket. On a good cricket wicket with an even bounce there wouldn't have been any controversy abut the bowling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Tommy Docherty at 92 after a long illness.

Yes, good manager in his day. I went to his book launch at Waterstones in Manchester. There was a Q and A after and somebody asked why he'd let Denis Law leave and go to City. Basically his knees were so bad it took him two days to get out of bed after a game and he could only train on the Thursday before a Saturday match.

Somebody else asked him who he regretted not signing. He said he'd tapped Peter Shilton up when Alex Stepney was on the way out and Shilton had agreed to come to Utd for £400 a week. When he asked Matt Busby about the signing Busby said - " Nobody is getting more than me at this club Tommy, tell him no ".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes, good manager in his day. I went to his book launch at Waterstones in Manchester. There was a Q and A after and somebody asked why he'd let Denis Law leave and go to City. Basically his knees were so bad it took him two days to get out of bed after a game and he could only train on the Thursday before a Saturday match.

Somebody else asked him who he regretted not signing. He said he'd tapped Peter Shilton up when Alex Stepney was on the way out and Shilton had agreed to come to Utd for £400 a week. When he asked Matt Busby about the signing Busby said - " Nobody is getting more than me at this club Tommy, tell him no ".

Remember going to Alex Stepney testimonial match against benfica in the seventies. Docherty had an entertaining attacking side in his time at man ure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

I'm starting to get worried. All those who were stars when I was not quite a teenager are going. Makes me realise even more that I may not have long left

I was on the phone to my ex workmate this morning, He's a hundred.  He actually said " How did I get to be this age, what with the war and everything ! " He's still got all his marbles but physically he's not what he was. He was on the health food kick at work in the 1970's ! Plenty of salads, whole meal bread and pots of hot water only. That's when the rest of us were on pie and chips washed down with a can of " Tizer " for dinner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Phil Spector, deranged music producer, has died in prison at the age of 81. 

Wall of sound, revolutionary, talented guy. Sadly Phil was an absolute nut job and a murderer.

Thankfully the music lives on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A flawed genius. I used to be in the " Phil Spector Appreciation Society " in the 1970's. I still wear my " Back To Mono " badge that I got when I joined !

His music will never die. They're still playing " Be My Baby " on BBC  TV every day at the moment.

Having said that I never forgave him for marrying Ronnie when she could have had me. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Mary Wilson, founder member of The Supremes, has died very suddenly at the age of 76. With the possible exceptions of Elvis and The Beatles, they were as big a game changer as any artist back in the day, and opened doors for black artists and women that were previously firmly locked.

RIP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Mary Wilson, founder member of The Supremes, has died very suddenly at the age of 76. With the possible exceptions of Elvis and The Beatles, they were as big a game changer as any artist back in the day, and opened doors for black artists and women that were previously firmly locked.

RIP.

Yes it's a shame she was in the shadow of Diana Ross, she was a good singer in her own right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes it's a shame she was in the shadow of Diana Ross, she was a good singer in her own right.

It always irks me to see them labelled as 'Diana Ross and the Supremes' to be honest Tyrone. They were always The Supremes really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 28/02/2021 at 19:42, oldjamfan1 said:

Glenn Roeder, former Newcastle and West Ham manager and a decent cultured centre half in his day, has passed away after a long illness at the age of 65. RIP. 

The Northern football correspondent of " The Guardian ", Louise Taylor, has written a really warm appreciation of Glenn in todays paper. He appears to have been a really nice guy. RIP. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.