Jump to content

Celebrity Deaths


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Just heard on the news that Ian St John has died aged 82 after illness.

I don't remember him playing, but growing up, it was the law to watch Saint & Greavsie with my mates before heading off to Ewood.

RIP

I saw him play many times, a few times in the flesh at Ewood. More of deep lying centre forward than an all out leader of the line. He'd fit in very nicely in todays football. He had bags of skill but he wasn't the fastest. That was when almost every team had a couple of top class Scots players. RIP Ian, thanks for the memories.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glenn Roeder yesterday, Ian St John today. Peter Lorimer very ill too. All these great players from the past passing away, inevitable but still sad.  I only saw Liverpool at Ewood once, when we came back from 2-0 down to beat them 3-2, circa  1964 ? Assume St John was in that side. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Glenn Roeder yesterday, Ian St John today. Peter Lorimer very ill too. All these great players from the past passing away, inevitable but still sad.  I only saw Liverpool at Ewood once, when we came back from 2-0 down to beat them 3-2, circa  1964 ? Assume St John was in that side. 

RIP - The Saint.

He wasn't in the team that day Jim. This attachment is taken from a Liverpool supporters scrap book. Our team was Else, Newton, Joyce, Clayton, England, McGrath, Ferguson, McEvoy, Byrom, Douglas, Harrison.

1964-08-29-blackburn-239.thumb.JPG.786d8c21c3c7abc7940b956cbed644b2.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

RIP - The Saint.

He wasn't in the team that day Jim. This attachment is taken from a Liverpool supporters scrap book. Our team was Else, Newton, Joyce, Clayton, England, McGrath, Ferguson, McEvoy, Byrom, Douglas, Harrison.

1964-08-29-blackburn-239.thumb.JPG.786d8c21c3c7abc7940b956cbed644b2.JPG

Thanks for that. I didn't see St John play in the case. It was a great game, Liverpool went 2-0 up early then we pulled it back to 2-2 by half time and scored the winner in the second half. This is all from memory nearly 60 years ago so might be wrong! Liverpool supporters weren't happy - lots of beer bottles being thrown around after the final whistle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

RIP - The Saint.

He wasn't in the team that day Jim. This attachment is taken from a Liverpool supporters scrap book. Our team was Else, Newton, Joyce, Clayton, England, McGrath, Ferguson, McEvoy, Byrom, Douglas, Harrison.

1964-08-29-blackburn-239.thumb.JPG.786d8c21c3c7abc7940b956cbed644b2.JPG

I was at that match. The Harrison goal was a penalty. Dougie ran them ragged as usual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was at that match. The Harrison goal was a penalty. Dougie ran them ragged as usual.

Can still see the Harrison penalty in my mind's eye. Nearly broke the net as usual

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Thanks for that. I didn't see St John play in the case. It was a great game, Liverpool went 2-0 up early then we pulled it back to 2-2 by half time and scored the winner in the second half. This is all from memory nearly 60 years ago so might be wrong! Liverpool supporters weren't happy - lots of beer bottles being thrown around after the final whistle. 

That was back in the days of no segregation. I was stood in the Blackburn End behind the goals. When the Harrison penalty went in a Rovers fan near me was celebrating a bit too enthusiastically. An old Scouser just turned around and gave him a real head butt. The Rovers fan went down like he been shot. The police got involved then.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was right behind it Jim. He could side foot a ball harder than I could belt it in my prime !

I was in the Nuttall St stand towards the Darwen End which was unusual as we normally didn't sit. Most Liverpool fans were at the Darwen End and were in a foul mood as they left the ground. A few of their bottles landed in the Nuttall St stand. Horrible lot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I was in the Nuttall St stand towards the Darwen End which was unusual as we normally didn't sit. Most Liverpool fans were at the Darwen End and were in a foul mood as they left the ground. A few of their bottles landed in the Nuttall St stand. Horrible lot. 

Yeah, nasty bastards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, nasty bastards.

Surely not Tyrone? I thought Scousers were always the victims in life?

Going back to Ian St John, he told a great story of when Shankly signed him. Shanks said "Two things son, score goals and don't lose your accent!".

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have ever worked there ? I have as a contractor, lots of times.  Normally the customer's maintenance guys were glad to see you because you were going to do a job they either couldn't do or didn't want to do. Liverpool is the only place I ever went to were they didn't want to do the job and they didn't want you to do it either !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not famous, but a young lad died last night in the woods next to Euxton Villa FC....Electrocuted fishing his ball out with a metal pole and touched live wire.

A friend of my son and there are a lot of people in the chorley/south ribble area will be very upset today.  Such a sad sad thing...and a couple of his mates were with him....

His dad was a player actually, played for Wolves and incidentally works at the Rovers too as a coach in the academy.

RIP Luke.

Edited by Sparks Rover
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Backroom
1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Trevor Peacock, most famous for playing Jim Trott in Vicar of Dibley, has died aged 89.

He was an unbelievably talented fella, wrote songs and musicals and worked with the very best, including the Beatles.

RIP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56332163

No no no no. No no no no no he was a great performer!

I was just yesterday pondering why he wasn't involved in the Vicar of Dibley documentary on UKTV Play this week. What a shame 😞

Only Geraldine, David, and Hugo left now 😞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Gav said:

Murray Walker has died, Mr Formula 1.

He seemed such a nice guy also. 

RIP Murray.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56388596

I remember this like us was yesterday, Mansell losing the title in Australia with his good mate Murray on commentary.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IIX-JmmmonY

What a great commentator he was,there's been a few F1 voices since he retired but nobody comes close to how good he was at it.Him and James Hunt commentating on F1 on Sunday afternoons were a must watch for me and  my dad back in my youth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That is a shock Gav. RIP

Just seen this from Hitman Hearns:

Thomas Hearns wrote on Instagram alongside a picture of Hagler: 'A real true warrior Pray for the king and his family.. he's in ICU fighting the after effects of the vaccine! He'll be just fine but we could use the positive energy and Prayer for his Full Recovery!'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Gav said:

Just seen this from Hitman Hearns:

Thomas Hearns wrote on Instagram alongside a picture of Hagler: 'A real true warrior Pray for the king and his family.. he's in ICU fighting the after effects of the vaccine! He'll be just fine but we could use the positive energy and Prayer for his Full Recovery!'

Bloody hell!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.