SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Celebrity Deaths

On 14/03/2021 at 02:35, Gav said:

Murray Walker has died, Mr Formula 1.

He seemed such a nice guy also. 

RIP Murray.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56388596

I remember this like us was yesterday, Mansell losing the title in Australia with his good mate Murray on commentary.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IIX-JmmmonY

Murray Walker was the reason I became addicted to Formula 1 in the 80s and 90s and I suspect it is the same for many others. How many other sports can you say a commentator was so instrumental for its popularity? His passion and genuine excitement for the sport was second to none. I used to love Sundays, still hungover from the night before and sticking on the Grand Prix.

It is no coincidence my love for the sport has dwindled since he stopped. 

• Like 1

On 20/03/2021 at 12:19, jim mk2 said:

Good player Peter Lorimer. Another of the Leeds greats gone, there can’t be many left now

They seem to have lost a disproportionate number over the last year or so. Hunter, Charlton, Cherry and Lorimer just off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Frank Worthington has passed. Age 74.

Never saw him live i don't think but that goal that you always see of him on the edge of the area and beats about 3 men with the ball over his head....

I saw him a couple of times, a taller, better, Bradley Dack. He was one of the Stan Bowles, Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, Charlie George generation that were too “ unconventional “ to get more than a couple of caps. I liked to see players do things I could never do in a million years, those players never let you down.

I read his autobiography a few years ago. His life will have definitely been lived to the full.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I was lucky enough to have been at that Bolton game when he scored the wondergoal. It is still the best goal I have ever seen 'live'. RIP Elvis.

I remember an interview with him Andy and he said he was slightly disappointed about the goal. An astonished interviewer asked why and Worthington said he wasn't happy with his connection on the shot, he wanted a cleaner strike. Now that's a perfectionist.

RIP Frank Worthington.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

The ref clapping is brilliant!

Any player in the modern era scores that, and it'd be in world's best goals compilations! Sadly (perhaps I should be thankful) I only know about it (or indeed, Frank Worthington) because it's on the first Soccer AM DVD.

And another one.... Frank Worthington, what a superb player, a maverick like Bowles, Currie etc. 

Was about to sign for Liverpool from Huddersfield but failed the medical... high blood pressure no doubt caused by his "social" activities.

It was Liverpool's loss and England's ..... no doubt he would have won alot more caps at a high-profile club.

27 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

And another one.... Frank Worthington, what a superb player, a maverick like Bowles, Currie etc. 

Was about to sign for Liverpool from Huddersfield but failed the medical... high blood pressure no doubt caused by his "social" activities.

It was Liverpool's loss and England's ..... no doubt he would have won alot more caps at a high-profile club.

Didn't Liverpool already have Keegan and Toshack? What a forward line those 3 would have made together ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

All the media prepare obituaries well in advance. The Queen's will already have been written too.

Yeah I knew that Jim, it was more a reference to the grand old age he reached and the fact that it will have been lying on a shelf for decades probably.