BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Celebrity Deaths

40 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Always seems a shame when anyone just falls short of a milestone like that. He had a good innings though. RIP Phil the Greek.

Reminds me of when Athers was run out on 99 for England.

Tragic, for both of them.

10 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

God Bless, Prince Phillip. 70 years married, she must be distraught.  Long live the Queen

Married for 73 years, 4 months and 21 days. Outstanding.

I was born a few months after the Queen ascended the Throne and she and Prince Phillip have been a 'thing' all my life.

RIP Prince Phillip. A good innings. 

God save the Queen. Long live the Queen.

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Married for 73 years, 4 months and 21 days. Outstanding.

I was born a few months after the Queen ascended the Throne and she and Prince Phillip have been a 'thing' all my life.

RIP Prince Phillip. A good innings. 

God save the Queen. Long live the Queen.

You are the same age as my dad then.👍

• Like 1

On 09/04/2021 at 12:35, Ewood Ace said:

I remember reading somewhere about 10 years ago now that the BBC had already filmed Tony Blair's obituary.

That should go out after the watershed !

No doubt he's expecting a full state funeral the c###!

Does feel like the level of coverage of Prince Phillip's death is out of step with how much regard he is felt by the country.... I think a lot of people have no real idea who he was, and many only a vague impression.

Seems a decent guy who did some good things some mistakes. The TV takeover etc seems a bit over the top.

• Like 2

The Duke of Edinburgh award scheme help thousands of disadvantaged kids from poorer backgrounds across the globe.

He was an early pioneer of the green agenda.

I feel so sorry for the Queen, after isolating for 12 months she loses her husband, devastating for her but as always she’ll come back.

RIP

Edited by Gav

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Does feel like the level of coverage of Prince Phillip's death is out of step with how much regard he is felt by the country.... I think a lot of people have no real idea who he was, and many only a vague impression.

Seems a decent guy who did some good things some mistakes. The TV takeover etc seems a bit over the top.

Over the top or not, suppose that’s up for debate. But the bold bit, really? Surely most adults have a fair idea who the fella was? Bit of a worry if they didn’t .

• Like 2

• Backroom
3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I initially liked this but removed it, but only because I think it does him a disservice.

Philip was the husband of the longest reigning Monarch of the oldest Monarchy in the world. That alone warrants the 24hr change of TV in tribute imo. He's an important enough figure in the world (let alone Britain).

I think they got it just right by restricting it to 24hrs. When it's the Queen, it's even more drastic!

What I disagreed with, however, is the idea that politics needed suspending even briefly. The Monarchy is apolitical and strictly honourary in its powers within our democracy, and it needn't influence politics.

However, I understand that once one party declares it won't campaign, the others then must fall in line so as to appear respectful because it would look bad otherwise. As empty a gesture as war-mongering politicians wearing poppies.

7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I initially liked this but removed it, but only because I think it does him a disservice.

Philip was the husband of the longest reigning Monarch of the oldest Monarchy in the world. That alone warrants the 24hr change of TV in tribute imo. He's an important enough figure in the world (let alone Britain).

Of course the News channels should cover it but it was rather over the top that the BBC had exactly the same coverage on BBC1, BBC2, BBC News and BBC Parliament whilst BBC 4's schedule was cancelled and all that was shown was a blank screen.

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The Monarchy is apolitical and strictly honourary in its powers within our democracy, and it needn't influence politics.

But it does and always has done. The monarchy is not apolitical and will most likely be even less so once Charles (Black Spider) is on the throne.

• Backroom
39 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Of course the News channels should cover it but it was rather over the top that the BBC had exactly the same coverage on BBC1, BBC2, BBC News and BBC Parliament whilst BBC 4's schedule was cancelled and all that was shown was a blank screen.

For just 24hrs. That seems pretty good to me, especially compared to the original Forth Bridge plans and the even more elaborate London Bridge plans.

If itbhelps, viewing figures for BBC 1, BBC2, and ITV plummeted.

39 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

But it does and always has done. The monarchy is not apolitical and will most likely be even less so once Charles (Black Spider) is on the throne.

Maybe it's something I'm ignorant to, but I've not seen much influence downwards from Monarchy to PM regardless of Party or Bill in my lifetime.

Not saying I particularly favour the Monarchy, I just don't see their influence on our politics in any meaningful way.

Put it this way, when the MEN arena was bombed, it seemed better that it was the Queen (without political interference) rather than a political photo op for either Party (as Grenfell became).

Edited by Mike E

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Over the top or not, suppose that’s up for debate. But the bold bit, really? Surely most adults have a fair idea who the fella was? Bit of a worry if they didn’t .

I think you'd be surprised. A good chunk of the population will only be aware of him as the subject for gags about saying the wrong thing at the wrong time... That's what he has been primarily characterised as in the media for decades. Many won't know who he is at all (not that I think he would be bothered at all by that) as he has kept a purposefully low profile.

Anyway, not wishing to hit a dead man when he's down. Just making the point the culture needs to move with the times, and this feels a bit out of step.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...