BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Celebrity Deaths

RIP Paul Marriner.

He was a bit of a battering ram but wasn't short on skill. He actually played for Plymouth in the never to be forgotten game at Ewood during the 74-75 title winning season.

Condolences to his family and friends.

14 minutes ago, arbitro said:

RIP Paul Marriner.

He was a bit of a battering ram but wasn't short on skill. He actually played for Plymouth in the never to be forgotten game at Ewood during the 74-75 title winning season.

I think he was a Rover too Tony. I certainly used to see him down at Ewood regularly in the 70s and 80s. He always had time for a chat too. Lovely fella and a top player. RIP

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, arbitro said:

RIP Paul Marriner.

He played up front that day with a player called Billy Rafferty, I always though Billy was a better player but what do I know.

Thanks for the memories Paul.

• Like 1

On 10/07/2021 at 11:01, oldjamfan1 said:

I think he was a Rover too Tony. I certainly used to see him down at Ewood regularly in the 70s and 80s. He always had time for a chat too. Lovely fella and a top player. RIP

Good footballer and played for Chorley as a lad

Plymouth had a scout in the NW which is how they picked him up

The question is how did Rovers (and other Lancy clubs) miss him? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

RIP Ironman George Curtis, also 81, who captained Coventry and was joint manager for their historic 1987 FA Cup Final win.

He was m o m in that really crucial game against Rovers in our first season back in the old Div 2 in 1966-67. An absolute colossus at centre half for Coventry that day allowing them to pull off a key 1-0 win. We just couldn’t get past him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2021 at 18:35, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He was m o m in that really crucial game against Rovers in our first season back in the old Div 2 in 1966-67. An absolute colossus at centre half for Coventry that day allowing them to pull off a key 1-0 win. We just couldn’t get past him.

Fergie sent off, horrible day. Took us 26 years to get back

On 26/07/2021 at 21:53, Gav said:

I’ve just seen that Ally Dawson has died aged 63.

RIP

Yeah there's a thread been started in the football section mate. Ally was a terrific guy who did a lot for the homeless up here in his spare time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Another of the Leeds greats goes. What a good player Terry Cooper was in his pomp

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/01/terry-cooper-obituary

Didn't realise his son was Mark Cooper, 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cooper_(footballer,_born_1968)

Yes, there have been 4 really top class England left backs in my time,, Ray Wilson, Kenny Sansom, Ashley Cole and Terry. He was a great player before that badly broken leg more or less finished at the top level.

Thanks for the memories Terry.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst not a celebrity as such, my best pal, Peter Thompsons father passed away aged 94, on 25 July and will be laid to rest tomorrow at Pleasington Crem, with a memorial service in Mellor afterwards.

Bill Thompson was the owner of the fruit and veg stalls in Blackburn and other markets in the north west. He was also a staunch Rover and will be sadly missed.

RIP Bill.

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

Whilst not a celebrity as such, my best pal, Peter Thompsons father passed away aged 94, on 25 July and will be laid to rest tomorrow at Pleasington Crem, with a memorial service in Mellor afterwards.

Bill Thompson was the owner of the fruit and veg stalls in Blackburn and other markets in the north west. He was also a staunch Rover and will be sadly missed.

RIP Bill.

R.I.P.

• Backroom
51 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Una Stubbs, a star of much light entertainment over the last 60 years.

Oh no, that's sad 😞 even in her later years, she was wonderful as Mrs Hudson in Sherlock.

On 'Give Us A Clue' she was amazed at Lionel Blair's effort to pull off '12 Angry Men' in under 2 minutes...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Una Stubbs, a star of much light entertainment over the last 60 years.

She played Alf Garnet's daughter and her boyfriend was Tony Blair's father-in-law, Anthony Booth.

Folk and country music singer-songwriter Nanci Griffith has died aged 68, that’s no age…..

Saw her live a few years ago at Finsbury Park, just brilliant, she came on before Shane Mcgowen! 

Sad news.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Folk and country music singer-songwriter Nanci Griffith has died aged 68, that’s no age…..

Saw her live a few years ago at Finsbury Park, just brilliant, she came on before Shane Mcgowen! 

Sad news.

Sad news that Gav. RIP