BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Day Memories

darrenrover

Boxing Day is shortly upon us, a day I always look forward to it, a day where families traditionally attend together and this year sees us face Rochdale!

I started down memory lane, thinking about Boxing Day games and 2 sprung first to mind:

The first is undoubtedly at t'Turf when we were 3 up at half time, Keith Fear (on loan from Bristol City?) missed a penalty to make it 4 early in the second half and after t'carrots scored 2, we were hanging on for grim death. Apart from perhaps at Gigg Lane, I don't think I've ever seen as many Rovers fans at an away game. I had to take a look and couldn't believe that the game was 40 years ago!

The other was a 0-0 draw at Sunderland when Jason Roberts missed when it was easier to score. A great day out for Darweners that, made special by the hospitality shown to us by Langley Park Miners Club both before and after the game.

What are others memories?.........

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Dad took me to the Turf, must have been late 70's,early 80's. We were on the street outside the ground and he suddenly decided we were going home. It  kicked off all round the ground apparently. Pretty sure it was boxing day. Can anyone remember which game it was?

Boro away when Archibald was here. Frightening.

We always seemed to play Huddersfield or Bradford at home in the 80's.

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

I remember a trip to Boundary Park, Oldham in the early 70s when we came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2. That was a terrific away following if I remember correctly (1973 ish?)

Spot on with the year. I was undoubtedly there but don't recall it, as I've got 'the oracle' out, Kitt Napier, John O'Mara and Tony Field scored for us and the gate was 10,130.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

My Dad took me to the Turf, must have been late 70's,early 80's. We were on the street outside the ground and he suddenly decided we were going home. It  kicked off all round the ground apparently. Pretty sure it was boxing day. Can anyone remember which game it was?

We always seemed to play Huddersfield or Bradford at home in the 80's.

You're probably talking about the same game blueboy. It wasn't tickets only then, it was pay at the turnstile. The old Longside was split in half and Rovers' fans filled our half to the point of no-one could physically get hands out of pockets, so they closed the turnstiles. As a consequence Rovers' fans still not in the ground paid to get in at the Beehole End and Cricket Field, hence the aggro.

As you mention it, I remember 'Boro away and it was frightening. I didn't recall it as Boxing Day.

5 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Oh yeah I was there that day. Their Gary Pallister-inspired defence were on a record run of not conceding a goal I think, until Garner worked his usual magic. It finished 1-1 and we had all sorts chucked over the wall at us when we were locked in after the game, including a toilet!! A Darwen lad got to spend several days in the Royal Cleveland Hospital after getting dragged out of a minibus near the ground and kicked around like a football!

Tony Mowbray and Stuart Ripley probably played for Boro that day as well?

Just now, darrenrover said:

You're probably talking about the same game blueboy. It wasn't tickets only then, it was pay at the turnstile. The old Longside was split in half and Rovers' fans filled our half to the point of no-one could physically get hands out of pockets, so they closed the turnstiles. As a consequence Rovers' fans still not in the ground paid to get in at the Beehole End and Cricket Field, hence the aggro.

As you mention it, I remember 'Boro away and it was frightening. I didn't recall it as Boxing Day.

I think my Dad made a wise decision. I remember him telling me on the drive home that it wouldn't have been safe. What year was it?

Oh yeah I was there that day. Their Gary Pallister-inspired defence were on a record run of not conceding a goal I think, until Garner worked his usual magic. It finished 1-1 and we had all sorts chucked over the wall at us when we were locked in after the game, including a toilet!! A Darwen lad got to spend several days in the Royal Cleveland Hospital after getting dragged out of a minibus near the ground and kicked around like a football!

I remember Mogga playing because I thought he was Pallister until my mate put me right. He had a very good game if I recall, hence the confusion, even if he did wear his shorts like he was Clayton Blackmore's sunbed-tanned long lost brother:D Don't remember Ripley playing but I remember Bernie Slaven, who was their Garner equivelant in the scoring stakes. Think he scored for them.

There was a good following from Rovers that day. When we equalised I seem to remember the terracing at the other side of the ground empty in seconds. I just didn't think they would all be coming down to our end. I don't remember the toilet! I just recall being stuck at the bottom of the terracing waiting for the big wood doors to open when suddenly a big Smoggie and then his mates appeared on the top of them trying to punch and kick the people below. Then slates started landing on people's heads. I only felt safe once we got on the motorway. There seemed like hundreds of 'em at every road junction all with bricks in their hands. Poor bastard getting dragged out of a minbus by that lot. Mentalists. I blame the chemicals from ICI.:rolleyes:

I've not been back.

5 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I remember Mogga playing because I thought he was Pallister until my mate put me right. He had a very good game if I recall, hence the confusion, even if he did wear his shorts like he was Clayton Blackmore's sunbed-tanned long lost brother:D Don't remember Ripley playing but I remember Bernie Slaven, who was their Garner equivelant in the scoring stakes. Think he scored for them.

There was a good following from Rovers that day. When we equalised I seem to remember the terracing at the other side of the ground empty in seconds. I just didn't think they would all be coming down to our end. I don't remember the toilet! I just recall being stuck at the bottom of the terracing waiting for the big wood doors to open when suddenly a big Smoggie and then his mates appeared on the top of them trying to punch and kick the people below. Then slates started landing on people's heads. I only felt safe once we got on the motorway. There seemed like hundreds of 'em at every road junction all with bricks in their hands. Poor bastard getting dragged out of a minbus by that lot. Mentalists. I blame the chemicals from ICI.:rolleyes:

I've not been back.

My memory is that we scored first that day - but I had downed a few for Dutch courage on the way up there so much of it is lost in a Smirnoff fog ha ha.

My memory is that we scored first that day - but I had downed a few for Dutch courage on the way up there so much of it is lost in a Smirnoff fog ha ha.

I thought Archibald scored so I think we might have had a bottle each. I've checked and it was Garner that scored and there were just shy of 24,000 on. Pretty sure we equalised late in the 2nd half in front of the home fans. It will be 30 years ago this coming Boxing Day.:o

Anyway, 2 days later we played Bradford at home in front of 14,123 (1-1 Hendry) then hammered Sheff Utd at home 4-1 (Price, Garner, Barker, Hendry) in front of 10,493 on New Year's Day.

Chelsea dicked us in the play-offs:mellow:

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

Boxing Day is shortly upon us, a day I always look forward to it, a day where families traditionally attend together and this year sees us face Rochdale!

I started down memory lane, thinking about Boxing Day games and 2 sprung first to mind:

The first is undoubtedly at t'Turf when we were 3 up at half time, Keith Fear (on loan from Bristol City?) missed a penalty to make it 4 early in the second half and after t'carrots scored 2, we were hanging on for grim death. Apart from perhaps at Gigg Lane, I don't think I've ever seen as many Rovers fans at an away game. I had to take a look and couldn't believe that the game was 40 years ago!

The other was a 0-0 draw at Sunderland when Jason Roberts missed when it was easier to score. A great day out for Darweners that, made special by the hospitality shown to us by Langley Park Miners Club both before and after the game.

What are others memories?.........

Make sure you listen to the Christmas Special podcast when it drops later this week....?

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That one always sticks out for me when anyone mentions Boxing day games :o

Think it was Boro's highest gate for 20 odd years at the time after had some real financial troubles and nearly went bust, very small gates similar to Rovers at one point I think, not always been the billly big times they like to pretend they are lol

The locals certainly didn't take kindly to the invading Rovers hordes that's for sure, probably biggest following we've ever had up there.

Not sure I can add anything to Boro or burnley away - I know TRS who occasionally posts on here once gave me a minute by minute account of the burnley away game from his position in the bee hole end, glad I wasn't there, "Like a scene from Zulu" as the longside emptied and battle ensued.

I remember Leeds coming on Boxing day early 80's and boosting the average gate from 7/8000 to 20k! Not sure how many you got in the Darwen End and Enclosure back then, but i would imagine they had more on that day than we did, we won through, 2-0 I think.

We played United on Boxing Day before we won the title 93/94? Was that the game when Sherwoods header was ruled out last minute? memory not what it was :P but a bleedin con! seemed to happen most season at Old Stratford.

I'm always disappointed with the night after a boxing day game, where does everyone go? the towns like a ghost town 2hrs after the game, we even went to Preston one year and that was closed too!

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

Not sure I can add anything to Boro or burnley away - I know TRS who occasionally posts on here once gave me a minute by minute account of the burnley away game once from his position in the bee hole end, glad I wasn't there, "Like a scene from Zulu" as the longside emptied and battle ensued.

I remember Leeds coming on Boxing day early 80's and boosting the average gate from 7/8000 to 20k! Not sure how many you got in the Darwen End and Enclosure back then, but i would imagine they had more on that day than we did, we won through, 2-0 I think.

We played United on Boxing Day before we won the title 93/94? Was that the game when Sherwoods header was ruled out last minute? memory not what it was :P but a bleedin con! seemed to happen most season at Old Stratford.

I'm always disappointed with the night after a boxing day game, where does everyone go? the towns like a ghost town 2hrs after the game, we even went to Preston one year and that was closed too!

We played Leeds a time or two on Boxing Day but I remember that one in particular in 1984 because I went to watch three football league games in one day that day, beginning with a surprise win for a Gary Lineker - inspired Leicester at Anfield in the morning and an evening game between Wigan and Bolton, with our game the meat in the sandwich. And this was in the days when most games kicked off at the same time (I can't remember why LFC kicked off early that day?)

12 minutes ago, Gav said:

Not sure I can add anything to Boro or burnley away - I know TRS who occasionally posts on here once gave me a minute by minute account of the burnley away game once from his position in the bee hole end, glad I wasn't there, "Like a scene from Zulu" as the longside emptied and battle ensued.

Yes - an absolute travesty that was, though I don't recall it being in the last minute! I think Shearer was penalised for a foul wasn't he? I seem to remember Ince scoring a late equalizer for them? That might have been the last minute?

14 minutes ago, Gav said:

That was the year after when we won the league, the one you are thinking of was a 1-1 draw, we took the lead in the first half with a great solo effort from Kevin Gallacher, and Paul Ince equalised in injury time from a very disputed corner shall we say.

23 minutes ago, Gav said:

remember Leeds coming on Boxing day early 80's and boosting the average gate from 7/8000 to 20k! Not sure how many you got in the Darwen End and Enclosure back then, but i would imagine they had more on that day than we did, we won through, 2-0 I think.

Good memory. It was 1984. 20,150 to be exact. We beat them 2-1 with goals from Brotherston and Randell. We were four points clear at the top on Christmas Day.  It all went wrong from the Leeds game on and we only won 7 of the next 21 games. Still finished 5th.

The year after we played them at Ewood on Boxing Day again. We beat them again (2-0 Noel and Barker) but only 8,666 turned up. I think being in the middle of a run of 3 wins in 27 games didn't help!

Archived