BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bradley Dack

10 hours ago, neophox said:

I thought Dacky looked poor yesterday and a bit unfit and we looked better with Holtby on the pitch. But I really hope its not a serious injury and Dack is back in a few weeks time!! Dack is player that create and scores but needs players like Holtby around him.

It's blasphemy around here, but Holtby is a better player. 

Dack is just far too immobile and easily man marked out of games. 

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

dack has to come deep to get the ball,thats why he`s always marked tightly,if he played a free role or just behind or off a main striker he`d have loads of room,we don`t play that way though so he`ll never get the chance,holtby by the way is a great passer of the ball but does`nt have the skill or movement of dack,though i hope he gets the chance to replace him as he`s the only one left who can pass forwards

12 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Dack and Holtby are both good but quite different players.

Dack does not lack mobility and Holtby lacks real pace. So what if they are good at what the do.

One thing for certain is that Dack is the natural goalscorer of the two.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He consistently scores and assists, as talented as Holtby is until he starts having the level of tangible effect consistently on games then he can be compared favourably.

Dack is our only goal threat of any consistency.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

He consistently scores and assists, as talented as Holtby is until he starts having the level of tangible effect consistently on games then he can be compared favourably.

Dack is our only goal threat of any consistency.

Agreed.

If Holtby fills the void left by Dack (must be him or Rothwell?) then we will find out just how good he is in the coming weeks.

I rate Holtby but I just don't think he'll have the same impact that Dack does.

Much like when people were advocating his sale in the summer, he will be noticeable by his absence.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 2

Just now, davulsukur said:

Agreed.

If Holtby fills the void left by Dack (must be him or Rothwell?) then we will find out just how good he is in the coming weeks.

I rate Holtby but I just don't think he'll have the same impact that Dack does.

Much like when people were advocating his sale in the summer, he will be noticeable by his absence.

Absolutely. The ability to score goals has somehow become underrated. It was the same with Rhodes, people focused on what he couldnt do even though he was scoring goals consistently at an unparalelled rate to the extent that that alone guaranteed his merited place in the team. 

Dack has consistently scored goals for us at a rate of not much shy of 1 in 2, for 2 and a half years. Mulgrew had 2 seasons where he would get to double figures from set pieces, hes gone now (rightly so) and Graham has consistently scored a healthy amount but seems to be somewhat on the wane. Dack is our only reliable source of goals and now he has gone and unless someone steps up in a way that is totally at odds with how they have done in the past, then we are going to struggle to get near the sort of goal total that will see us challenging for the play offs. Dack is our best player ywt somehow underrated.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

with Dack out. 

it now gives the opportunity to play Holtby or Rothwell in the 10 role. Where they are most suited in my view. 

or we could play Armstrong up front with Gallagher in 4-4-2 formation with Rothwell right and Downing left. 

Rothwell never plays on the right and I dont see where the goals are coming from in either of your teams. If you played Armstrong and Gallagher together youd have a hell of a lot of offsides though.

Theres no getting away from the fact that Dacks absence is a monumental blow, and thats acknowledgable without talking about forfeits. Any team losing their primary source of goals is automatically weaker as a result.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Rothwell never plays on the right and I dont see where the goals are coming from in either of your teams. If you played Armstrong and Gallagher together youd have a hell of a lot of offsides though.

Theres no getting away from the fact that Dacks absence is a monumental blow, and thats acknowledgable without talking about forfeits. Any team losing their primary source of goals is automatically weaker as a result.

Goals comes from the team. Playing Armstrong using his pace and Gallagher or Graham as the target man player

We thought that in 92/93 season when Shearer got injured but we found a way to score goals and win games. 

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think thats a little generous, to be fair many werent far off abysmal and I would agree on Walton, a few fairly routine saves made him MoM. Rothwell didnt stand out from the rest in a really poor performance. 

I shared your opinion on Rothwell that he could be a key player this season and earlier in the season he wasnt played enough. Now he has got a run of games, would you agree that he has been a severe disappointment in those games and his lack of goals or assist in 20 appearances, 9 from the start is not acceptable?

Armstrong was crap yesterday and I have been of the opinion that Rothwell is the better out of the 2. Recently I have wondered if this is me being mistaken. Both regularly are fairly absent in games but at least Armstrong does offer something in the way of goals and assists, 5 and 2 respectively.

When a player plays consistently and we win then it’s arguable that he is part of that winning formula.

I’d concede that his last couple of games haven’t been his best but when the manager makes so many changes as to upset the rhythm of the side, does he become a bad player?

17 minutes ago, Stuart said:

When a player plays consistently and we win then it’s arguable that he is part of that winning formula.

I’d concede that his last couple of games haven’t been his best but when the manager makes so many changes as to upset the rhythm of the side, does he become a bad player?

To be fair I think he adds balance on the side.

There are certain points in his Rovers career when he can point at things that others have done notably Mowbray but ultimately he doesnt contribute enough when he does play. He scored 2 very good goals last season but aside from them theres been no real end product throughout his time here. Im getting a little frustrated because he clearly has talent but he is not contributing at all in terms of scoring and assisting. I like him as a player and he can excite but its starting to feel like hes a bit of an enigma, and someone whose reputation increases when he isnt starting and people including me demand his re-selection. There is an onus on him to start scoring and assisting, especially with Dack injured, even the correctly derided Armstrong contributes to goals and assists.

I wonder if we’ll move to a 433 with Dack out...its a formation the staff wanted to play but he never fit into...

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Downing

Holtby Travis Johnson

Arma Graham Rothwell

Im personally unsure that we can sustain any top 6 Chase without Dack. He’s our best and most effective player. Holtby is our only current hope and has the tools and goal threat to challenge. I don’t think Rothwells ability to assist or score goals is good enough to fill that position. 

My feeling is that should the injury be season ending they will bring in an attacking option on loan in Jan. 

So sad for Dacky. Will make for an interesting few weeks. Also believe Tosins late injury and realisation that Williams is nowhere near his quality may have been a glimpse of Christmas future for Mowbray. Might just trigger a bit of a spending spree you know guys. ...

Merry Christmas everyone ????

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I wonder if we’ll move to a 433 with Dack out...its a formation the staff wanted to play but he never fit into...

Walton

Holtby Travis Johnson

Arma Graham Rothwell

Im personally unsure that we can sustain any top 6 Chase without Dack. He’s our best and most effective player. Holtby is our only current hope and has the tools and goal threat to challenge. I don’t think Rothwells ability to assist or score goals is good enough to fill that position. 

My feeling is that should the injury be season ending they will bring in an attacking option on loan in Jan. 

So sad for Dacky. Will make for an interesting few weeks. Also believe Tosins late injury and realisation that Williams is nowhere near his quality may have been a glimpse of Christmas future for Mowbray. Might just trigger a bit of a spending spree you know guys. ...

I do like that 4-3-3 formation tbh. We have a squad that can 3 different formations now. Whether it 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

Tho like to see Rothwell in centre mid with Travis and Johnson myself. 

Merry Christmas Paul ?

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I do like that 4-3-3 formation tbh. We have a squad that can 3 different formations now. Whether it 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

Tho like to see Rothwell in centre mid with Travis and Johnson myself. 

Merry Christmas Paul ?

Thanks Chris. 
ps - my kids wake up at the crack of dawn every day and yet my wife and I are currently lay awake waiting for them to get up this morning! Sod’s law!! ??

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Walton

Holtby Travis Johnson

Arma Graham Rothwell

If you swapped Hotlby and Rothwell round, that midfield couls excite me. All can pick a pass, all can get stuck in protecting the defence, all can maraud forward.

I'd tell Travis to sit back and protect, have Rothwell and Johnson go closing down and pushing forward.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mike E said:

If you swapped Hotlby and Rothwell round, that midfield couls excite me. All can pick a pass, all can get stuck in protecting the defence, all can maraud forward.

I'd tell Travis to sit back and protect, have Rothwell and Johnson go closing down and pushing forward.

Haha - That’s weird, I originally typed your team out, agonised over it and switched Holtby and Rothwell round. I think I’d go with your version actually 

• Moderation Lead
10 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Might well be a better player, but he needs to start chipping in with Dack’s goals and assists, which is no mean feat and one you seem to be overlooking. 
I’m not sure why anyone suddenly thinks all the other players in the team will decide to start scoring at Dack’s rate, now he’s injured....

• Like 3

Just now, K-Hod said:

Might well be a better player, but he needs to start chipping in with Dack’s goals and assists, which is no mean feat and one you seem to be overlooking. 
I’m not sure why anyone suddenly thinks all the other players in the team will decide to start scoring at Dack’s rate, now he’s injured....

And there is the rub. Some are saying we won well at Bristol City without him but being without him forced Mowbray to change the shape completely. On Monday when Dack was available again he reverted to type. For me replacing his goals is going to be one of Mowbrays biggest challenges.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Thanks Chris. 
ps - my kids wake up at the crack of dawn every day and yet my wife and I are currently lay awake waiting for them to get up this morning! Sod’s law!! ??

I had the same problem with my step daughter today but she's been up.and open her presents now. She's delighted

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Interesting to note perhaps our best performance of the season, and our best period of the Wigan game both came without Dack.