BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JIMMY ARMFIELD RIP

blueboy3333

7 hours ago, renrag said:

He did advise the club at one point in hiring a manager. Not sure, but it could have been Howard Kendall when Derek Keighley was chairman. Have had the pleasure of sharing his company and, apart from being a top footballer, he was a thoroughly decent human being

I think that was it, it was before Howard Kendall was appointed, we wanted Jimmy as manager, he turned us down but advised us during our search for the right man and fortunately we very much found the right man in Howard Kendall.

Jimmy Armfield was known in his pomp as a "class" player (what happened to class players??) - in the same way that (Sir) Keith Newton and Ronnie Clayton were. It was just something in the way they moved. Players aren't the same these days. He was also a "gentleman" footballer - a term which modern fans would never understand. Ronnie Clayton and Bobby Moore were the same. 

Armfield was an excellent full back and could have been England's full back in the 1966 World Cup but for injury. He never bore any resentment.

Sad day for football.  

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Jimmy Armfield was known in his pomp as a "class" player (what happened to class players??) - in the same way that (Sir) Keith Newton and Ronnie Clayton were. It was just something in the way they moved. Players aren't the same these days. He was also a "gentleman" footballer - a term which modern fans would never understand. Ronnie Clayton and Bobby Moore were the same. 

Armfield was an excellent full back and could have been England's full back in the 1966 World Cup but for injury. He never bore any resentment.

Sad day for football.  

Every team had a gent or two then Jim, now they just have agents.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The funeral of Jimmy Armfield today. 

Yesterday I was talking to a Blackpool fan and I showed him a programme for the last Christmas Day football game ever played in England ... Blackpool v Rovers 25th Dec 1965.    3:30 KO, to allow for Xmas dinner.

as a matter of interest these were the teams that day and there were some superb players on show.

blackpool :-

waiters, Armfield, Thomson, Turner, James, Green, Moir, Ball, Charnley, Waddell, Oates

rovers :-

Else, Newton, Wilson, Clayton, Mullvaney,  Sharples, Darling, Jones, England, Ferguson, Harrison.

a lot of talent there, yet before this game Blackpool lied 5th from bottom of the first division, while Rovers lied 3rd from bottom, eventually being relegated. Burnley sat 2nd in the league sandwiched between Liverpool at the top and Man Utd in 3rd spot. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, den said:

The funeral of Jimmy Armfield today. 

Yesterday I was talking to a Blackpool fan and I showed him a programme for the last Christmas Day football game ever played in England ... Blackpool v Rovers 25th Dec 1965.    3:30 KO, to allow for Xmas dinner.

as a matter of interest these were the teams that day and there were some superb players on show.

blackpool :-

waiters, Armfield, Thomson, Turner, James, Green, Moir, Ball, Charnley, Waddell, Oates

rovers :-

Else, Newton, Wilson, Clayton, Mullvaney,  Sharples, Darling, Jones, England, Ferguson, Harrison.

a lot of talent there, yet before this game Blackpool lied 5th from bottom of the first division, while Rovers lied 3rd from bottom, eventually being relegated. Burnley sat 2nd in the league sandwiched between Liverpool at the top and Man Utd in 3rd spot. 

Alot of plonkers too in Blue and White. Mulvaney and Sharples would make Elliott Ward look like lightening whilst Else and Harrison were both well past their best. Jones was only a lower league player. That team was relegated by Easter with a record low number of points. 

3 minutes ago, alcd said:

Alot of plonkers too in Blue and White. Mulvaney and Sharples would make Elliott Ward look like lightening whilst Else and Harrison were both well past their best. Jones was only a lower league player. That team was relegated by Easter with a record low number of points. 

Yes granted, but.......... Waiters, Armfield, Tony Green Alan Ball, Newton,  Mike England, Clayton, Mike Ferguson? 

• Like 1

I watched Blackpool in my early years with my Dad. Armfield was the full back. I can still remember getting to Bloomfield Road at 2 pm just before the turnstiles closed as the ground was full. Man Utd were the visitors. Happy memories. Jimmy was a terrific player. RIP Jimmy.

Some great talent there Den but like alcid says a lot of dross too, carried by the splendid remnants of a potential Championship side. And no depth in the squad either. In those days we has 11 starters and not much else. That's why the best centre-half in Europe was playing up front!

Where was Duggie that day? Injured? Or was he already on the way out?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alcd said:

Malcolm Darling wasn’t much cop either.

Was the Oates playing for Blackpool the same Graham Oates signed by Furphy a few years later?

10 hours ago, 47er said:

Some great talent there Den but like alcid says a lot of dross too, carried by the splendid remnants of a potential Championship side. And no depth in the squad either. In those days we has 11 starters and not much else. That's why the best centre-half in Europe was playing up front!

Where was Duggie that day? Injured? Or was he already on the way out?

Oh, yes, I agree 47er. That team got relegated. 

But the individuals I listed - how much would those players be worth in today’s money when they were all at their peak? Anyone want to guess? What about Blackpool’s pairing of Alan Ball and Tony Green - how much would they be worth nowadays? A massive amount of money I guess? How much would the likes of England, Clayton, Newton be worth now?

it was just nice to look back. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, meadows said:

Duggie was injured for most of that season- missed the first 7 league games, played The next 5 then was absent until late March apart from one abortive comeback game

He was back for the run in but we were virtually down by then and sadly his great days were behind him  

He played most of the following season in Div 2 and carried on sporadically until April 1969, him and Ronnie retiring simultaneously  

His last game v Fulham at home was televised, a 2-2 draw but Granada have lost the footage, not that we knew it was his final game at the time 

Duggie and Ronnie both played at Great Harwood if I remember correctly. So did a few other ex Rovers at the time - Paul Round for one?

2 hours ago, den said:

Duggie and Ronnie both played at Great Harwood if I remember correctly. So did a few other ex Rovers at the time - Paul Round for one?

I recall Adam Blacklaw playing for Harwood too but I don't remember if it was at the time of Douglas and Clayton. Harwood were in the old Northern Premier League at the time and there were lots of ex internationals playing non league then.

17 minutes ago, 47er said:

Don't forget Roy Vernon! Played at Gt Harwood alongside Douglas and Clayton.

Bit before my time just thought I'd get involved because the wife is out drinking and I'm watching beauty and the beast in bed with a 3 year old I'm trying not to resent :D

On 8 February 2018 at 23:44, den said:

Yes granted, but.......... Waiters, Armfield, Tony Green Alan Ball, Newton,  Mike England, Clayton, Mike Ferguson? 

That wasn't Tony Green Den.  That was Johnny Green , a hard tackling wing half that played for Blackpool in the early to mid 1960's. Tony Green didn't sign for Blackpool until the Summer of 1967.

10 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That wasn't Tony Green Den.  That was Johnny Green , a hard tackling wing half that played for Blackpool in the early to mid 1960's. Tony Green didn't sign for Blackpool until the Summer of 1967.

Close then Tyrone! Never heard of Johnny Green, even though I’ve obviously seen him.

• Guest changed the title to JIMMY ARMFIELD RIP