BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Looking ahead 2018/19

IF (fingers crossed) we get promoted, what areas would we need to strengthen in to stay up in the championship and progress? 

I dont think we need many additions, but the few we add have to be real quality. Would like to see us spend a good amount on a winger and RB first before strengthening in other areas. 

Any thoughts guys?

32 minutes ago, tugayislegend said:

IF (fingers crossed) we get promoted, what areas would we need to strengthen in to stay up in the championship and progress? 

I dont think we need many additions, but the few we add have to be real quality. Would like to see us spend a good amount on a winger and RB first before strengthening in other areas. 

Any thoughts guys?

We need to strengthen in all areas if we are to stay up and progress. I think you are forgetting the quality of the Championship.

Our defence would be cut to ribbons as it stands.

You would need a starting centre half, a starting centre midfielder, wingers and a striker. Add to that a fair amount of depth signings, loans or otherwise.

If we go up I suspect summer will be very busy at Ewood. I think Mowbray is pragmatic enough to know that this squad will not be good enough for a league above as it is now, even without the loans terminating.

Our squad as it stands would be:

Goalkeepers: Raya, Leutwiler, Fisher

Defenders: Nyambe, Caddis, Travis, Mulgrew, Downing, Lenihan, Wharton, Williams, Bell, Hart

Midfielders: Smallwood, Evans, Whittingham, Gladwin, Bennett, Tomlinson, Dack

Forwards: Graham, Samuel, Nuttall.

So without the loan players the squad looks weak in certain areas.

I think from that squad the young players can't really be realistically considered until they've got some football. Exception being Wharton and maybe Travis if he proves himself in the run in.

Then I would argue that Caddis, Gladwin and aren't good enough at this level so need moving on.

Then I'd try to move on Evans who doesn't justify his wage for me. Also can't see Whittingham playing a pivitol role at his age but could still be useful if used correctly.

But with Conway, Feeney, Ward and hopefully evans off the books then that should leave a bit of wiggle room in the wage budget.

So i'd say try get some of the loan players (Chapman, Antonsson, Armstrong and Payne) in permanently, with focus being on Armstrong and Chapman. Or try get another loan fixed for them.

The Areas we would need are. Centre Half, Centre Mid, Striker, 2 x Wingers. Maybe a more experienced second choice keeper (I'd still keep faith in Raya).

hi all we are doing great at the moment and what deal that for the last lot of games £90 so being on tv was great for me with the last game i whent to was mkdons just cant get the money together the job is not helping and trying find a well payed these days is hard well i will keep on trying the blues can do it and make me proud. 

It is too soon but the basic problem---Venky ownership-----will presumably still hang over us. TM may well identify the gaps in the squad but will Venkys allow him to fill them?

Very cheap to run a team in Div 3, especially as our attendances haven't slipped. Transfer fees and wages much higher in Championship.

We are getting ahead of ourselves but it is a constant worry to me. I'd hate us to be a yo-yo club between the wrong divisions.

Is there much quality in the bottom half of the Championship? Millwall haven't had much of a problem adapting, even Bolton who have hardly bought a player in 2 years aren't in the bottom 3.

Remember, Mowbray got us to 51 points, despite Coyle being here till late Feb, plus he had a squad containing the likes of Lowe and Akpan.

Said my piece, now lock the thread till May!

Talk about counting your chickens......

Anyhow at the risk of jinxing it there was a player who played for Neil Warnock on Talksport earlier in the season ( could have been Matt Holland)  who said that Warnock's key to succeding in the Championship was you can never have too many (decent) strikers.

So on that basis I'd be looking to keep hold of Dack, make Chapman, Payne and Armstrong permanent, and add one more proven Championship quality striker, (maybe two if for any reason Graham can't cut it.) That should give us the firepower to survive at the very least.

Obviously the team would need fine tuning in other areas as well but let's get there first!

Archived