BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bradford at home 29.03.2018

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yes the current team is successful. Everything is relative. Talking in league terms currently the only success we can enjoy is promotion. If we go up then success would be defined as promotion to the PL. Should these two promotions occur then what constitutes PL success is debatable.

Of course the last seven years happened but to argue the club is currently unsuccessful because of it ignores the reality of the league table. 

What I mean is, that in your post previous to this one, you are lambasting Rovers fans for not jumping on the bandwagon during this promotion push. Citing that at other clubs they would all be 'jumping' on it.

What is the difference between us and other clubs?

Other clubs have not had to endure our owners over the last 7/8 years. We have many fans, myself included that are boycotting until they are gone.

A promotion push in Division 3 is not going to convince me to come back despite how happy I am that we are finally winning games rather than losing them. Until the Venksters are gone, I will not be setting foot in Ewood again.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

If we split the stayaways into groups:

- Those who don’t want to watch L1 football. It’s still L1 football - and at Championship prices.

- Those who are NAPM - nothing has changed for them and besides the few that do return get absolute pelters from fellow fans. My your yardstick they should be welcomed back with open arms.

- Those who can’t afford.

- Who are the ones racing to get their hand in their pocket for £90? They are probably already season ticket holders.

For me, if they want to get people into the ground then they need to make match day offers and make it cheap. If we are going to resent the £5 ticket holder coming down to watch a match in the run in and help us get to 20,000-plus then we are on a sticky wicket. “They should be prepared to pay £15 a match for 6 games like I do - where’s their commitment??” just perpetuates the problem.

Rovers needs it’s floating fans to make up the numbers. Imv we’ve priced the walk-ons out of the game this season - even with the offers.

I’m never sure we can split the fans in to groups though I do understand why you often chose to do so. For me there are the NAPMers, a limited number, and those who have simply lost interest for a whole range of reason. I think, from a marketing perspective, it’s useful to understand those reasons but I see no benefit in grouping or categorising fans like this. Not that it’s an issue just a view. The key is for the club to rekindle the interest.

If the NAPMers want to return they should be welcomed - I don’t think I gave any yardstick. I actually only know of two, one of whom I think has returned. 

It’s often said the club priced out the walk ons. I fully agree but I don’t think it happened this season nor is it exclusive to Rovers. Personally I was priced out of away games while we were in the PL - once a casual trip to Anfield began to cost £100+ I lost interest. Even if we return to the PL I wouldn’t pay the walk on price unless it was a truly special game. So yes walk on price is an issue but it probably began 10 years or more ago. It’s all about perceived value. 

I don’t say people should be prepared to pay £90 for 6 games. My point is the club is making offers and the current one is very close to what ST holders pay. We all agree an ST is great value, ergo the big 6 deal must also be. 

I certainly don’t resent anyone attending though I can see how an offer much below the ST price would cause rumblings amongst some. I’ve paid a decent price for a good seat for a season’s football. It meets all my criteria. I’m happy. 

On Sunday if we open the gates, let people in for free and have Ewood rocking the biggest smile will be on my Tom’s face followed by mine. That, a win and promotion is all I care about. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I have a season ticket and always will. Me being at games and support my team is important to me

You didnt answer my question.

You said "JHRover, if Rovers fans want to attend they will no matter what the prices are." 

Would you pay 100 quid to watch every game?

11 hours ago, Paul said:

What interests me is that since around 21.45 on Tuesday the club have put a lot of effort in to marketing the Wigan game. 

To what end? On here the loudest silence one could hear. It’s always the same, whenever the club is positive ignore it, when people don’t like things shout from the rooftops. 

We’ve had the 10 game offer, the 6 game offer, there will probably be something else yet to come. 

For me two things are apparent; the opportunity to support the team in the run in is there, the chance to help win promotion is there. Second to this it is obvious is there are many who get more pleasure out of moaning than Rovers winning.

The club are charging a minimum of £22 per adult to sit in the Riverside for a game that is on live TV. They can 'market' it all day every day, come up with nice colourful posters and ring people up if they want to but the take-up at that price will be minimal. I don't care whether its Blackburn Rovers or Arsenal, unless you offer unusually low ticket prices a Sunday noon kick off which is live on TV will attract less people.

The club has decided to implement a multi-category pricing structure (which most people I have spoken to think it utterly pointless in the 3rd division) and are now charging top category prices for the next 3 home games v Wigan, Blackpool and Bradford which could well define our season.

I might well be wrong but I would bet money that the take-up of 10 game offers and 6 game offers falls into the hundreds rather than thousands at this stage, therefore suggesting that its impact is minimal. If thousands have signed up for it then I would expect home crowds of 13,000-15,000 minimum between now and the end of the season.

As I've already set out, Bolton Wanderers, a club last season in a similar position to us, a club with a smaller stadium, higher season ticket prices and in a worse financial position, managed to roll out cheap ticket games. Against Chesterfield on 1st April 2017 they had 23,000 on and against Peterborough (final game of the season which I think was live on TV) they had 22,500 on. Outside of those games they were getting around 14,000 on most weeks.

I invite anyone to explain to me how Bolton can do that and get those sort of crowds whilst Rovers can't. Bringing friends for £5 didn't work v Bury and Walsall, and unless I'm mistaken the 10 and 6 game offers will result in minimal increase in home crowds.

Call it moaning if you want, call it being overly critical. I think it is a problem that needs identifying and dealing with and the club should be thinking about these things.

Stick away fans in the upper tier of the Darwen End, continue to charge them Category A prices if you wish. A 3,000 allocation will be sufficient for all the clubs coming to Ewood before the end of the season.

Open up the Darwen End lower tier entirely to Rovers fans.

Aim to fill both the Blackburn and Darwen lower tiers and have home fans behind both goals.

Install a cash only turnstile on the Darwen End for those who make a last minute decision to go, sparing them the hassle of having to go and queue up in the rain for a ticket at the Blackburn End.

I'll guarantee the home turnout would be bigger then friends for £5 or 6 game package ideas.

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Do you define a promotion push in division 3 as success?

Its almost as if the last 7 years did not happen.

If you find yourselves in div 3, then yes promotion from there is a success

start joining in and help the boys who wear  our famous blue n white and let yourself enjoy it

its been a brilliant season so far hopefully it just gets better

30 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

So 4,600 a year?

Don’t know why you take him on. He can say yes because he will never have to prove it.

He’s painted himself into a corner of ANY ticket prices now though.

3 hours ago, Hasta said:

Good points until your final line above Paul which is simply an untruth.

Yes I accept you’re very likely right in this. My frustration is when we have our first glimmer of success in seven years there seems to be so little joy in so many fans. 

Personally I’m delighted. Away games I’m sat refreshing the BBC app every few minutes, I’m excited for Sunday, I’m checking Rovers website daily for ticket news as I want to get to a couple of away games. My eldest has returned though that’s more to do with work than football.

After we beat Bury to go top the response was so muted I was left wondering if the players sat in the dressing room asking themselves “why do we bother?” In saying that I fully appreciate the performance was poor for 60 minutes and as the players walked off their demeanour seemed more job done  than elated. Whether that was due to knowing their performance should have been better or in whole or part resulted from the crowd reaction can’t be known.

As ever we stayed till the last man came off and I was left feeling flat and a little concerned by the players body language.

32 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yes I accept you’re very likely right in this. My frustration is when we have our first glimmer of success in seven years there seems to be so little joy in so many fans. 

Personally I’m delighted. Away games I’m sat refreshing the BBC app every few minutes, I’m excited for Sunday, I’m checking Rovers website daily for ticket news as I want to get to a couple of away games. My eldest has returned though that’s more to do with work than football.

After we beat Bury to go top the response was so muted I was left wondering if the players sat in the dressing room asking themselves “why do we bother?” In saying that I fully appreciate the performance was poor for 60 minutes and as the players walked off their demeanour seemed more job done  than elated. Whether that was due to knowing their performance should have been better or in whole or part resulted from the crowd reaction can’t be known.

As ever we stayed till the last man came off and I was left feeling flat and a little concerned by the players body language.

Thing is, Paul, we’ve won nothing yet.

I’ve reached the heady heights of nervous hope but defeat on Sunday and suddenly we are on the back foot again. I still firmly believe Wigan will win the league but I just hope we have enough to stay above Shrewsbury and an improving Rotherham.

There is definitely a feel good around the club at the minute, which is down to the away fans, and some clever marketing from the club’s social media team - backed by enthusiastic tweeters like Bennett and Dack (maybe they have been asked to help create a better fan connection). However, it’s going to take a bit more than this to get another 10,000 fans through the Ewood turnstiles singing their hearts out.

We seem to be back to the previous times of fans complaint about other fans. Let’s just keep on keeping on. People are simply suggesting that better individual match day offers would be more likely to bring in the thousands of fans we are missing than a £90 all-in deal - especially if half of the matches could be moved and shown on Sky. Not sure what is wrong with that.

4 hours ago, JacknOry said:

What I mean is, that in your post previous to this one, you are lambasting Rovers fans for not jumping on the bandwagon during this promotion push. Citing that at other clubs they would all be 'jumping' on it.

What is the difference between us and other clubs?

Other clubs have not had to endure our owners over the last 7/8 years. We have many fans, myself included that are boycotting until they are gone.

A promotion push in Division 3 is not going to convince me to come back despite how happy I am that we are finally winning games rather than losing them. Until the Venksters are gone, I will not be setting foot in Ewood again.

You say that, but if we ever get back to the top flight and we're challenging at the right end of the table, you'd be back. Football fans are fickle- just look at that Liverpool FA Cup game when Bowyer was in charge. Ewood was packed, full of : "I'm not stepping foot inside Ewood until they've gone," supporters. I'll be honest, I was never stepping foot inside Ewood again when Coyle was put in charge. Months later, with the ever predictable sacking of him, I was back, watching us slide into the third tier of English football. 

Just now, scotchrover said:

You say that, but if we ever get back to the top flight and we're challenging at the right end of the table, you'd be back. Football fans are fickle- just look at that Liverpool FA Cup game when Bowyer was in charge. Ewood was packed, full of : "I'm not stepping foot inside Ewood until they've gone," supporters. I'll be honest, I was never stepping foot inside Ewood again when Coyle was put in charge. Months later, with the ever predictable sacking of him, I was back, watching us slide into the third tier of English football. 

I would bet you everything I have that I would not. I have always been a stubborn git (ask the wife) and if i say something, I stick to it.

I know others have relented such as you and thats fine - i respect anyones decison on whether they go or not.

I wasnt at the Liverpool game.

I admit its difficult - i dream of the day i return. Its why I am always on here daily - my love for the club.

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

So 4,600 a year?

hows that tho? we only have 23 home games a season, but because I have a season ticket and always will it less than 300 pounds per season

If I don't attend an away game it is nothing to do with the price of the ticket but other reasons

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Don’t know why you take him on. He can say yes because he will never have to prove it.

He’s painted himself into a corner of ANY ticket prices now though.

why are getting involve for yet again Stuart you just cant me alone and always have stick that nose in of yours can you?

painted myself into a corner for any ticket prices? hows that when it isn't a factor at all but you think you judge people who you DONT know

hows that tho? we only have 23 home games a season, but because I have a season ticket and always will it less than 300 pounds per season

If I don't attend an away game it is nothing to do with the price of the ticket but other reasons

why are getting involve for yet again Stuart you just cant me alone and always have stick that nose in of yours can you?

painted myself into a corner for any ticket prices? hows that when it isn't a factor at all but you think you judge people who you DONT know

so away games are free?

all depend how many I do actually doesn't it? 

but why are you so interest in me when you don't attend any games?

Just pointing out to you that fans will not go 'no matter how much the tickets cost' - that is you included.

And less of the digs about not going thank you...my choice. I dont dig at you for going and respect your decision, so respect mine please.

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Always the victim. :rolleyes: 

What’s the equivalent of ad hominem when someone ad hominem’s themselves?

50 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I would bet you everything I have that I would not. I have always been a stubborn git (ask the wife) and if i say something, I stick to it.

I know others have relented such as you and thats fine - i respect anyones decison on whether they go or not.

I wasnt at the Liverpool game.

I admit its difficult - i dream of the day i return. Its why I am always on here daily - my love for the club.

You remind me very much of my dad. He went before Walker arrived (during the 70s), right up until Kean decided he was the best thing since sliced bread. He goes to the odd game now, but even now it’s not his club. It’s sad really! Hopefully the next few years will change that.

39 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Just pointing out to you that fans will not go 'no matter how much the tickets cost' - that is you included.

And less of the digs about not going thank you...my choice. I dont dig at you for going and respect your decision, so respect mine please.

Ticket prices aren't the problem tho. its job and family that's the problem. 

no digs at all. your choice like mine is to go and not miss

32 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Always the victim. :rolleyes: 

Boring alert :lol:

Just now, Stuart said:

If you could make that your first post of each day and tag me in it, that’d be champion. Cheers.

Not getting involved childish games with you anymore Stuart, I will be better person and ignore you again. Please don't quote me every again. 

Archived