Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I liked his withering put down to John Oliver (whom I also like).

Oliver: In your multiverse theory, is it possible there's a Universe where I'm smarter than you?

Hawking: Yes, and also one where you are funny.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim Whittaker! He taught at St Augustine's in the early 70's/possibly late 60's

A mate of mine always talks about "Jim" caning him for walking across the gymnasium floor in what was his sister's school.

At the time, my mate said he hadn't yet started to attend  the school..

I wonder how that would play in today's world!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody could get away with as many gaffs presenting a tv show as Jim Bowen it was almost like it was scripted that way he handled it so well.

Good memories of bullseye and my mam and dad shouting at the telly 'it's a fix' whenever someone won and the little speedboat or ugly caravan got wheeled out yet when they lost 'look at what you could've won' - always a car :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tomphil said:

Nobody could get away with as many gaffs presenting a tv show as Jim Bowen it was almost like it was scripted that way he handled it so well.

Good memories of bullseye and my mam and dad shouting at the telly 'it's a fix' whenever someone won and the little speedboat or ugly caravan got wheeled out yet when they lost 'look at what you could've won' - always a car :lol:

"Congratulations. You've won the speedboat! Shame you live in Birmingham.!" :)

Just had a quick look online and forgot he along with many others first came to our attention as a stand up comic on The Comedians. I enjoyed him at that as well with his deadpan the "whole world is conspiring against me" persona far removed from his cuddly Bullseye image.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Jim Whittaker! He taught at St Augustine's in the early 70's/possibly late 60's

A mate of mine always talks about "Jim" caning him for walking across the gymnasium floor in what was his sister's school.

At the time, my mate said he hadn't yet started to attend  the school..

I wonder how that would play in today's world!!

A lot of my mates went to St Augustines and to a man they said he was a miserable sod and a strict disciplinarian. As an entertainer though he really found his true vocation in life. Good article from the independent here :- https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/bullseye-jim-scores-again-hes-smashing-lovely-super-and-the-oxford-union-crowd-roared-at-his-40-year-1561392.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hanks said:

A lot of my mates went to St Augustines and to a man they said he was a miserable sod and a strict disciplinarian. As an entertainer though he really found his true vocation in life. Good article from the independent here :- https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/bullseye-jim-scores-again-hes-smashing-lovely-super-and-the-oxford-union-crowd-roared-at-his-40-year-1561392.html

You know whose story that was, don't you, Hanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Especially not for the comedy circuit though Bowen's primary recognition of course came as a gameshow host. Actually Stephen Hawking even appeared in a fair number of comedic roles.

He's currently appearing in the new series of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - or at least he was in the first one last week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm to young to have watched bullseye when it was first on, but I've spent many a night watching the re-runs on Challenge. He was funny on Phoenix nights as well. RIP, you can't beat a bit of Bully! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Just came across this on YouTube. I’ve so far watched about twenty minutes and he’s hilarious. It was filmed at the Thwaites theatre in 2003 and I recommend watching if you’ve got a bit of spare time and fancy a laugh. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Guest changed the title to Jim Bowen

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.