BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bristol Rovers v THE ROVERS

4 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

See my edit pal, don't want to fall out with anybody but have you ever taken the time out to consider what Blackburn Rovers truly means to the people of Blackburn and Darwen and adjusted your posts accordingly?

The club means the world to me, my family and friends and has for generations.

And it means the world and more to me aswell as many others who have the same passion as you and your family but have to travel alot further at high expense to watch their beloved rovers play. Disgraceful post

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

It's great that we've still got 'supporters' from wherever but they can't truly feel what 'WE feel'. or am I wrong?

I find that suggestion grossly offensive (relative to all things Rovers). It has a tone that I expect from a Big 4 side. Which is disapppinting as I usually like your posts.

I hail from the same island as the BigDogg and I can tell you I have immense pride in my team. I always try to be particularly respectful on here, mindful of the fact lots on here have personal vested local interests I will unfortunately never have. But it is unfair to suggest I don't feel what a local fan does. I have Blackburn Rovers in my heart.

I went through 14 years of school being mocked and teased for supporting a smaller team. I can recall being sat by the TV or radio physically crying as we lost a meaningless midweek game to a mid table premiership team. I spend hundreds of pounds a year travelling to support MY team. I don't expect any more than anyone else, but I can tell you I definitely feel the same emotions of Rovers as everyone taking the time to post on here does. And in a few weeks time I will be unable to sleep with excitement as we look to seal our promotion. I may not get some local references, but I assure you, I FEEL what you feel about our team. 

To be fair, I get what darrenrover is saying.

It can get galling to see posts from folk who never make the effort to get to a game patronising those that spend weekend after weekend following the club.

Though for me it has nothing to do with the local area - there are plenty of Irish lads (plus folk from all corners of the UK, Europe and beyond) that come over, spending hard earned cash and time whilst they’re at it.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

It can get galling to see posts from folk who never make the effort to get to a game patronising those that spend weekend after weekend following the club.

Though for me it has nothing to do with the local area - there are plenty of Irish lads that come over, spending hard earned cash and time whilst they’re at it.

Patronizing? Give over will ya. Go back and tell me what was said that was patronizing.

Some of you are very delicate on here lately. I will put it down to tensions being high due to the situation we are in 

Though for me it has nothing to do with the local area - there are plenty of Irish lads that come over, spending hard earned cash and time whilst they’re at it.

Just because you go to every(or most) games, doesn't mean you A-know more than those who don't go to every game or B- aren't open to scrutiny when you say something stupid 

16 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

See my edit pal, don't want to fall out with anybody but have you ever taken the time out to consider what Blackburn Rovers truly means to the people of Blackburn and Darwen and adjusted your posts accordingly?

The club means the world to me, my family and friends and has for generations.

I totally understand your sentiments and your frustration mate and you are normally a really good poster on here, but I think you are aiming at the wrong targets with this post. We are all in this together (or at least we should be).

I don't live in Blackburn and follow them home and away since the mid 90s and will for the rest of my life. There are over 10000 people from the Blackburn area who love their local team seem to have gone missing in that time frame. It has nothing to do with where your from how much you feel a love and afinity to something. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, thats a good team, arguably our strongest.

I was just thinking there, I have a strong feeling he is going to start Whittingham. Hopefully center mid and not on the wing :huh:

Obviously he's the manager but I would think away from home we want our high energy players and Whittingham at home against tight defences 

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

I don't live in Blackburn and follow them home and away since the mid 90s and will for the rest of my life. There are over 10000 people from the Blackburn area who love their local team seem to have gone missing in that time frame. It has nothing to do with where your from how much you feel a love and afinity to something. 

Totally agree which is what I said.

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Think it’s fair to say someone who goes to every game does know more about the team, it’s set up, it’s strengths and weaknesses, it’s attitude, than someone who sees an odd game on TV.

No, it isn't fair to say at all.

Plenty of other factors come into it, one would be if the person has actually ever played or coached football at any level themselves. If they haven't done either and another person goes to half the number of games, watches the others on TV and has their personal knowledge, who would you prefer to pick our team? Thats one of many other factors that come into it. I know plenty of Ireland supporters who go to every game,and I can tell you they would be the last people I would want picking the team

A poster who goes to all the games ,but suggests a formation we have not started a game with this season, with players in positions they have not played, would be a case in point. 

Just now, Doaksie said:

I find that suggestion grossly offensive (relative to all things Rovers). It has a tone that I expect from a Big 4 side. Which is disapppinting as I usually like your posts.

I hail from the same island as the BigDogg and I can tell you I have immense pride in my team. I always try to be particularly respectful on here, mindful of the fact lots on here have personal vested local interests I will unfortunately never have. But it is unfair to suggest I don't feel what a local fan does. I have Blackburn Rovers in my heart.

I went through 14 years of school being mocked and teased for supporting a smaller team. I can recall being sat by the TV or radio physically crying as we lost a meaningless midweek game to a mid table premiership team. I spend hundreds of pounds a year travelling to support MY team. I don't expect any more than anyone else, but I can tell you I definitely feel the same emotions of Rovers as everyone taking the time to post on here does. And in a few weeks time I will be unable to sleep with excitement as we look to seal our promotion. I may not get some local references, but I assure you, I FEEL what you feel about our team. 

I apologise Doaksie and to others if I caused any offence. That certainly wasn't my intention and I do hope some diehards of old get my drift.

As for whether those from outside Blackburn can have as much passion for the team, do ye think I would post here as much if I didn't :) 

I have had to listen to slagging from Utd and Liverpool supporting friends since I was around 10, and that has actually changed to pity in the last 7 years. They don't understand how I can do it, the Utd supporting fans are nearly having breakdowns due to their current "downturn". Yet, I wouldn't change it for anything 

5 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I totally understand your sentiments and your frustration mate and you are normally a really good poster on here, but I think you are aiming at the wrong targets with this post. We are all in this together (or at least we should be).

I agree but sometimes some folk touch a nerve and others react, me on this occasion!

Apologies for any offence because none was intended.

Just now, darrenrover said:

I agree but sometimes some folk touch a nerve and others react, me on this occasion!

Apologies for any offence because none was intended.

You have no need to apologise to anyone.

Your views are as valid as anyone else.

Chin up, onwards and upwards.:rover:

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, it isn't fair to say at all.

Plenty of other factors come into it, one would be if the person has actually ever played or coached football at any level themselves. If they haven't done either and another person goes to half the number of games, watches the others on TV and has their personal knowledge, who would you prefer to pick our team? Thats one of many other factors that come into it. I know plenty of Ireland supporters who go to every game,and I can tell you they would be the last people I would want picking the team

A poster who goes to all the games ,but suggests a formation we have not started a game with this season, with players in positions they have not played, would be a case in point. 

For the record, In answer to your second sentence, I've done both. The rest regarding my Rovers heritage you already know.

With respect, if you were a Blackburn lad born in the sixties or before, you'd truly know how I feel.

Thanks for your support from the Emerald Isle btw and no offence intended.

30 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

For the record, In answer to your first sentence, I've done both. The rest regarding my Rovers heritage you already know.

With respect, if you were a Blackburn lad born in the sixties or before, you'd truly know how I feel.

Thanks for your support from the Emerald Isle btw and no offence intended.

None taken. Not living in Blackburn, I obviously don't feel the damage that having the club drop from being a solid premiership club to league 1 has had on the community. Only people who live there really know. 

I am a passionate supporter also though. Probably too much at times. 

Let's hope we are all happy come the end of this season. God knows some good times are long overdue 

57 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I apologise Doaksie and to others if I caused any offence. That certainly wasn't my intention and I do hope some diehards of old get my drift.

Jesus, you don't have to apologise to me bud. A mere misunderstanding. The main reason I come on here is for the same reason as you. We share the same love. We all do on here. It binds us together. The reason I solely post light-hearted stuff and refrain from offering more opinions is precisely not to antagonize the posters much more entrenched in Rovers than me (you included). I have never argued with anyone on here, and I never would. 

As I said, I like your posts. We move on. I probably shouldn't have said anything. There's plenty on here who talk muck I just ignore....

35 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

None taken. Not living in Blackburn, I obviously don't feel the damage that having the club drop from being a solid premiership club to league 1 has had on the community. Only people who live there really know. 

I am a passionate supporter also though. Probably too much at times. 

Let's hope we are all happy come the end of this season. God knows some good times are long overdue 

Thanks for that Bigdog. 

Just to correct you, if you don't mind me saying, it's not about the damage "that having the club drop from being a solid premiership club to League 1 has had on the community" Many of us go much further back than that but at least you have explained why you don't understand many of 'our' strength of feeling.

That aside, I think my intended team and formation could be a good 'un against the gas.....

Back to the match, the side looks tired and in need of a shake-up. I wouldn't be surprised if Mowbray makes several changes. However I've got a feeling we're going to lose this one. 

Bristol 2 The (one and only) Rovers 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Bristol Rovers not won many of late, so this ones easy:

Bristol Rovers 1 Blackburn Rovers 3

I don't understand why you, of all folk, are confused?

Anyway, I do recall I was derided for recommending playing Bennett at right back, which is where he finished up playing ten minutes into the first game following my suggestion and has subsequently been there since.

So if you're watching Tony, move Bennett into midfield again and select and motivate a team to win.

Gav's got at least a ton on us to win 3-1, don't know the odds but he's going all the way from Worcester to watch us, so do it for Gav!

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

As for whether those from outside Blackburn can have as much passion for the team, do ye think I would post here as much if I didn't :) 

I have had to listen to slagging from Utd and Liverpool supporting friends since I was around 10, and that has actually changed to pity in the last 7 years. They don't understand how I can do it, the Utd supporting fans are nearly having breakdowns due to their current "downturn". Yet, I wouldn't change it for anything 

I don't think you need to have supported Rovers for any length of time to be passionate about them. My first memories of attending Ewood  go back to the 1959 Youth Cup Final v The Hammers, and my son went to his first game in the classic 5-4 thriller against Palace, but he is probably more passionate than I am at the moment  I wouldn't change a minute of my 50 odd year love affair with the Rovers, even though they have ruined most Saturday afternoons in that time. I was talking to an Everton fan last week and he couldn't get it when I said I wouldn't change our roller coaster ride with their "steadyEddie" plod over the same time span. I guess you just love your team whatever happens and we should all just respect that, it''s what makes being a football supporter so unique.

Archived