BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Promoted!

15 minutes ago, DE. said:

I was also baffled by some of their comments on Mowbray. Surely one of the least offensive human beings to exist, let alone football manager?  

The other part that confused me was saying we'd taken financial strength "to another level". The amount we paid for Samuel was basically cancelled out by the sale of Steele, then there's Bradley Dack £750k... not sure how much Gladwin cost? Too much either way but at most we've spent between 1.5-2m which surely isn't unreasonable for a club just relegated from the Championship. Granted we also pay wages that other clubs in this league couldn't afford, but again I wouldn't say at an unreasonable level for our size club, particularly with a lot of our higher paid players being on contracts signed when we were a league higher. It's not like we're Manchester City buying a superstar for every position. 

They couldn't really say much else. At the end of the day, plenty of big clubs have stayed in League 1 longer than us, they surely spent more too. The bottom line is we got better results than them, no game was a gimme. I wish them the best of luck, but don't really care who else goes up. 

The comments about Mowbray are as confusing as I have read from football fans and I regularly read posts on here. 

Mowbray is definitely one of the more mild mannered football managers out there. Him saying a club like ours should beat Shrewsbury is a fact. As they allude too, albeit vastly over exaggerate, our financial capability, facilities and stature dwarfs theirs. We should be beating them and they should recognise that. Hardly an "ungracious" thing to say.

How some have claimed we have took our spending "to a new level" is beyond me. We've simply used the resources available to us. Should we apologise that clubs like Shrewsbury don't have that available to them? It's hardly in the levels of Aston Villa, Wolves or Newcastle.

They should look past their own disappointment and realise they are sat where they are in the league for a reason.

As an end note if they don't get promoted it's a sad indictment on the unfairness of the play offs. No clubs matched us 3 and it'd be a shame if one lose out. Although part of me hopes they do so I can laugh at the ensuing meltdown and the inevitable maniacal rampage posters like "KL8" will go on. What a weirdo.

Dont know what thread to put this in, but just reading the latest article on Mowbray on the LET. Wonder what or who he means by this? A mentality thing or a specific player that was causing an issue?

“I could see that they were a good set of lads. We had one problem at this football club when I came in but we managed to eradicate it.

1 hour ago, Silas said:

"Any chance of a points deduction? "

?

That is some high level straw grasping.  

I did want them to go up through playoffs,  as feel they deserve it.

But having read some of that, am now leaning towards hoping they get dicked in a Wembley penalty heartbreak. 

But maybe I shouldn't let a minority sway me.

And what exactly is their problem with Mowbray? Have I missed something? Tony not usually the type of manager to ruffle feathers. 

For what reason would we be getting a points deduction?

(or is it just a jokey comment?)

19 minutes ago, benhben said:

Dont know what thread to put this in, but just reading the latest article on Mowbray on the LET. Wonder what or who he means by this? A mentality thing or a specific player that was causing an issue?

“I could see that they were a good set of lads. We had one problem at this football club when I came in but we managed to eradicate it.

I do not think TM would take Anthony Stokes into any squad he managed if he won him for free and no wages in a raffle where the tickets were also free.

Hope that's a clue.

• Backroom
23 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

For what reason would we be getting a points deduction?

(or is it just a jokey comment?)

I think whoever posted that on their forum was inferring we have somehow broken FFP rules this season. Technically called SCMP at our level. 

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/financial-fair-play-league-one-8560150

They would be wrong though as pretty much all of the wages which push us over the agreed limit will have been agreed before this season, and as the article states:

Clubs relegated from the Championship have Transitional Arrangements in place which allow to exclude the wage costs of all players signed pre-September of the relegation season, if they were signed on contract longer than three seasons.

1 hour ago, benhben said:

We were shit?

Absolutely delighted - outcome should never have been in doubt.

Proved to be a long, long night.  Paid the price this morning!

Hope Churchill's quote proves apt "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning".

5 hours ago, StubbsUK said:

In amongst all of this celebration, there's someone we're forgetting about ... Venkys, without you none of this would have been possible!

That is certainly true. We would have never plummeted to league 1

So we lost the first 2 games and then lost 4 out of first 11 games. I must admit after that 4th defeat vs Oldham I’d given up hope of promotion as we were 12 points behind both Wigan and Shrewsbury and I resigned myself to mid table mediocrity. 

But serious credit goes to them to lose 1 in 33 games since.

As for who else joins us I couldn’t really care less but for Shrewsbury to technically be able to get 92 points and to miss out would be cruel.

• Backroom

I remember how utterly depressed I felt watching us get bullied off the park by Southend on the first day of this season. The players looked disorganised, unsure and unwilling to fight for the cause. The transformation since those first few weeks has been absolutely remarkable. Credit to Mowbray and his team for turning around what could have been another very poor season. 

The match thread... thankfully makes for quite amusing reading now, although it certainly wasn't at the time :)

Archived