BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pitch Invasion of sorts

AAK

46 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

But in all likelihood a pitch invasion would end up like Doncaster - I.e. some fans on, all players off.

Vast majority of 20,000 folk see nowt but a minority milling about with their phones.

Hence players in the directors box...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Paul said:

I feel @Mattyblue is spot on with what is likely to happen. 

@Stuart We sit in the JWL on the back row and fairly central. If I turn to look up all I see is the glass of the hospitality boxes. If we want to see the players, and they are in the JWU, it means we have to get on to the pitch. I’m not going to repeat myself but my lad probably won’t be able to see.

It’s not a question of something not suiting me but one of what is fair and reasonable for all fans. If we discuss wheelchair users I suggest from the JWL there is a 75/25 chance they won’t be able to see whether the players are on the pitch or in the stands. Some of the fans I walk by every game have very significant difficulties. Three issues come to mind; if a wheelchair user cannot see will the carer be able to push the chair on to the pitch? what are the safety issues? Thirdly some disabled fans could find it disturbing. It’s almost discriminatory. If one wanted to be extreme if the club failed to provide equal and adequate pitch access to the disabled this would be discrimination. I am NOT going down that road.

I would like everyone to have a good time. I don’t understand how you can write your first paragraph, earlier refer to a “scum element,” I know what you mean but think it’s an appalling way to describe other people, and then go on to be “amused.” You’re right it’s the wrong word but I fully understand and I can’t think of another either! To talk of a “failure to grasp responsibility” but then seemingly criticise me, who has direct experience of the issue at every away match I attend, for wanting an equal opportunity for all doesn’t stack up. 

I am going to email the club as complaining after the event will be pointless. I pretty sure I could write  the Club response for them!  

Sorry Paul, whilst I sympathise, not every event can accommodate every need. 

Obviously wheelchairs may struggle to go on the pitch (although it has been done) and not everyone will have a great view but if total and absolute inclusion was to be guaranteed, nobody would be able to organise anything.

My lads would have a blast having a rare opportunity to go onto the pitch. It’s actually nice that fans have asked for permission and the club have (apparently?) said yes.

It would be a real shame if it is stopped because  it might not be ideal for every single fan.

I’ve no doubt I’ll be jumped on for that opinion by those with their knives out but hopefully you can see my point.

Really hope there is no pitch invasion. It is damn right selfish of anyone who thinks otherwise just so they can take a few selfies.

Why do these people think the majority of us want to watch them aimlessly wandering around instead of seeing and thanking Tony and the team for getting us promoted?

Just shows the mindset of some people

But I doubt they would go in the directors box - I mean where are all the players' kids going to fit? -_-

There probably will be a pitch invasion, just the way football fandom has gone with social media these past few years - I just hope that the pitch can then be cleared for a celebration for those that don't go on.

If they end up in the directors box I will be closer to them than if they stay on the pitch but I don't want them up there.

I want them on the pitch where everyone can see them

29 minutes ago, Stuart said:

This event can

Fans stay in the stands and players stay on the pitch

Simple

Just now, AlanK said:

Really hope there is no pitch invasion. It is damn right selfish of anyone who thinks otherwise just so they can take a few selfies.

Why do these people think the majority of us want to watch them aimlessly wandering around instead of seeing and thanking Tony and the team for getting us promoted?

Not my vision at all Alan.

Everyone on the pitch facing the Jack Walker singing songs and chanting the players names who are up in the directors box.

29 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Not my vision at all Alan.

Everyone on the pitch facing the Jack Walker singing songs and chanting the players names who are up in the directors box.

Everyone apart from the people in the Jack Walker Lower that wouldn't be able to see, you mean?

The only way its fully inclusive is if fans stay off the pitch and the players remain on it. I don't see why its being contemplated that we change what has always been the case.

Mainly because a proportion of fans now expect to go on the pitch.

At Deepdale in 2001 it wasn't even something that would have crossed fans minds, now it is standard to celebrate any success (even if it's relatively minor - i.e. Wigan beating City in the 5th round of the cup).

1 minute ago, J*B said:

Everyone apart from the people in the Jack Walker Lower that wouldn't be able to see, you mean?

The only way its fully inclusive is if fans stay off the pitch and the players remain on it. I don't see why its being contemplated that we change what has always been the case.

I’m in the JWL... would I not be allowed into the pitch?

Again “fully inclusive” if there can even be such a thing means no events at all.

Moot point now anyway, Paul is getting it cancelled.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

But in all likelihood a pitch invasion would end up like Doncaster - I.e. some fans on, all players off.

Vast majority of 20,000 folk see nowt but a minority milling about with their phones.

I'm looking forward to Saturday as much for the atmosphere and post-match celebrations/presentations. Not just the first team but also the Under 23s. It will be the first time in about 9 years that the team will have a lap of honour that actually means something and is worth hanging around for.

If people start with pitch invasions I won't be hanging around for it, I'll be straight out and to the pub. That will be a big shame as I'm looking forward to showing my appreciation to the players and enjoying some time after the game in 'party' atmosphere but there's no way I'm going to stand there for 20 minutes waiting whilst others obstruct the process in pursuit of some selfies with the players or to 'rebel' by breaching the perimeter and wandering aimlessly around on the pitch. I'll go and have a drink instead. The celebrations at Doncaster were ultimately spoiled by those who ran on the pitch 2 or 3 times forcing the players and staff to withdraw to the changing rooms to continue celebrating and I expect similar to happen on Saturday as the safety police will not allow it.

If people remain in the stands it allows the afternoon to proceed smoothly and safely without any problems, and everyone gets to participate in the celebrations in view of the pitch. The alternative is chaos and delay and a lot of people getting annoyed as crowds surge towards the front blocking people's views of the pitch and upsetting children and those in wheelchairs etc.

Yeah but Stuart doesn't see a solution for this event even though the bloody obvious has been pointed out

So let's ask Stuart a very simple question

Where would every single fan in the stadium be guaranteed a view of the players after the match ?

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Obviously wheelchairs may struggle to go on the pitch (although it has been done) and not everyone will have a great view but if total and absolute inclusion was to be guaranteed, nobody would be able to organise anything.

My lads would have a blast having a rare opportunity to go onto the pitch. It’s actually nice that fans have asked for permission and the club have (apparently?) said yes.

It would be a real shame if it is stopped because  it might not be ideal for every single fan.

I’ve no doubt I’ll be jumped on for that opinion by those with their knives out but hopefully you can see my point.

How old are your lads? Most of those who were on the pitch at Doncaster were not children enjoying the occasion but were adults. I can understand the appeal to a young boy to go on the pitch but can't really comprehend why an adult would have such a desire to wander around in circles rather than enjoy things from the stands.

I'd suggest that the vast minority of the 20,000+ in the ground on Saturday would want to go on the pitch. If only 1,000 run on the pitch that number will be sufficient to scupper any lap of honour etc and therefore spoil the celebrations for everyone else. The difficulty is that even once the pitch invasion has been cleared and people retreat back into the stands they don't return to their seats or go home, they hang around at the front or on the edge of the pitch, blocking other people and meaning all it takes is one or two to run back on and the whole thing starts again.

It would be a real shame if thousands of people go home disappointed having not had a proper chance to show their appreciation to the players because a small minority feel some bizarre urge to run around on the pitch taking photos of themselves.

If people are suddenly desperate for a photograph with one or two of the players I'm sure if they waited by the car park the players would be happy to provide them later.

I can almost understand the urge to go on the pitch in circumstances like we had at full time at Doncaster with sheer elation and jubilation after a late win and promotion, but that won't be the case against Oxford. Its unnecessary and it will spoil my day as I will have to go home early, I won't be providing an audience for those on the pitch.

1 hour ago, AlanK said:

I didn't realise you were the voice of moral reasoning on BRFCS.

Pitch invasions should be spontaneous events, an outpouring of joy/anger, very much like Doncaster, superb scenes, will live with me forever.

They should never be orchestrated events like is being suggested here.

If we win the championship get on the pitch, if we don't stay in the stands.  

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Meanwhile some people express disappointment on a messageboard and it’s like they have taken a dump on Mowbray’s front lawn.

I don’t think Tony would be as annoyed at you defecating on his lawn, as he would be at your suggestion it’s time for the “ten game” clock to be reset, less than 96 hours after promotion....!

• Backroom

Why can't we just be like normal fans? The only pitch invasion that should occur is if we win the title. Anything else is just small-time and a bit weird tbh.

The moment was at Doncaster.

Just now, Mike E said:

Why can't we just be like normal fans? The only pitch invasion that should occur is if we win the title. Anything else is just small-time and a bit weird tbh.

Fans all over the country go on the pitch at the end of a season, it's a tradition at many clubs.

Used to happen at Ewood in 80's every season. But I do agree, have a reason, not just because you can.

31 minutes ago, AlanK said:

Yeah but Stuart doesn't see a solution for this event even though the bloody obvious has been pointed out

So let's ask Stuart a very simple question

Where would every single fan in the stadium be guaranteed a view of the players after the match ?

Nothing is guaranteed in life Alan.

Can you guarantee my kids will be able to see the players doing a lap of honour when the family stand is full (of adults) stood in front of them?

You clearly have a personal problem with me following our exchange the other day so I’ll leave it there.

8 minutes ago, Mike E said:

People keep calling it an invasion. It’s not, it’s more akin to being invited to the town hall watching the players on the balcony after previous cup wins. The club were (apparently) inviting people on - in celebration.

Trouble is now that there could be ambiguity about whether fans are now allowed on or not.

A statement from the club is now in order for safety reasons. What could have been something good (for the majority) could now go quite badly if isn’t managed properly.

Hopefully fans won't go onto pitch so the players can go around th thank fans for their support and take their children around with the..also my grandson and his team mates are playing football on the pitch as their end of season party and would love for the pitch to be playable for them.

I noticed after the Doncaster game that some of the touching/patting of players was a bit intense. In fact some of them looked a bit scared at times.  They did seem to get used to it pretty quickly though, with Dack and Bennett up on peoples shoulders. I was just thinking "do not bloody drop Dack!" 

When they came out for the encore then and Mulgrew was wearing Rovers head, he legged back away from the oncoming crowd. Was hilarious 

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, Stuart said:

People keep calling it an invasion. It’s not, it’s more akin to being invited to the town hall watching the players on the balcony after previous cup wins. The club were (apparently) inviting people on - in celebration.

Trouble is now that there could be ambiguity about whether fans are now allowed on or not.

A statement from the club is now in order for safety reasons. What could have been something good (for the majority) could now go quite badly if isn’t managed properly.

The only thing I've seen is AAK saying 'Mark Fish has said...', which was then rebuked by Mark Fish.

Nothing is planned as far as I can tell.

Archived