BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sunderland AFC

Just now, ewoodpo said:

Would our present owners do this, sell and right off the debt. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43950121

Don’t think he had much choice when Jack Rodwell would likely have cost more in wages or pay off, than the entire tv money.

The new man is going to have a huge hole to fill, and whilst the question of paying off previous debt is answered, is the new owner rich enough to deal with future costs?

The answer to the question that you ask for me, is probably no - and it’s arguably put us in a better position to be taken over now, with a closer deficit and better value in players at both top/reserve levels; as opposed to when we had Best, Murphy, Rhodes, Etuhu et al taking 20 million out a season in wages.

Imagine they’d completely wiped the 50m debt, then given us to some whack job consortium not prepared to pay for the raos errors, the stadium, training grounds and the rest of the facilities would’ve been flogged.

I don’t see a quick return for Sunderland, in any case! 

Blunderland are rotten to the core in a similar way we were and their drop was inevitable and will probably give them the opportunity to clear out the rubbish and go again. Bigger the club more the rot though so I think they are in for a rare old time for a few years.

Should have stuck with Grayson like Rovers stuck with TM really as he'd give them a fighting chance of a quick return although signing Steele :o

What a clanger that was.

1 hour ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Yes? ?????

They've a real chance here to either continue to rebuild Rovers or move the club on and do the above. I get the impression it might always be the 'we'll give it one more season and see' syndrome with them.

Phillips would be an appointment designed to try and win over the fans rather than a safe appointment to get them promoted at the first opportunity. It might well work out but would be a big gamble for a club that has had such instability. Ironically the best man for Sunderland in League One would likely to be Simon Grayson.

I'd like to see Gary Bowyer get a shot at it. His experiences with rotten ownership at Rovers and Blackpool won't have gone unnoticed. To get that shambles at Blackpool promoted last season and top half this season is a fantastic effort.

Just now, BiggusMickus said:

You've dropped a bollock there.. :lol:

I don't think things were very good when he was here. He did a great job under the circumstances, but there was huge fan disgruntlement after the shambles just before he took over, there was FFP restrictions and poor off field structures. I would say we are in a fair better place now, but when Bowyer was here, things were not good.  That was my point. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Phillips would be an appointment designed to try and win over the fans rather than a safe appointment to get them promoted at the first opportunity. It might well work out but would be a big gamble for a club that has had such instability. Ironically the best man for Sunderland in League One would likely to be Simon Grayson.

I'd like to see Gary Bowyer get a shot at it. His experiences with rotten ownership at Rovers and Blackpool won't have gone unnoticed. To get that shambles at Blackpool promoted last season and top half this season is a fantastic effort.

Phillips would have Berg written all over it...

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think things were very good when he was here. He did a great job under the circumstances, but there was huge fan disgruntlement after the shambles just before he took over, there was FFP restrictions and poor off field structures. I would say we are in a fair better place now, but when Bowyer was here, things were not good.  That was my point. 

At least 2 of his seasons, he was backed in the transfer market, we had a squad containing a 40 goal strikeforce fo Gestede and Rhodes, Cairney, Marshall, Conway, King, Hanley, Duffy, Olsson etc. A very good Championship squad that on both occasions he failed to even achieve a play off place with.

Seems a decent guy but great job? Lets not rewrite history.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

At least 2 of his seasons, he was backed in the transfer market, we had a squad containing a 40 goal strikeforce fo Gestede and Rhodes, Cairney, Marshall, Conway, King, Hanley, Duffy, Olsson etc. A very good Championship squad that on both occasions he failed to even achieve a play off place with.

Seems a decent guy but great job? Lets not rewrite history.

I think the off the field stuff held us back. Correct me if I am wrong, but is the away support better this season that back then? It seems this season the fans really have been the 12th man. I'm not saying fans didn't support the team under Bowyer, but I know I was definitely drained from the shit storm that had taken place before he got the job.  

In hindsight, no doubt that squad should have gotten into the play-offs at least. I think Bowyer brought stability though at a time when we could very well have done a Sunderland. That's what I mean by great job. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think the off the field stuff held us back. Correct me if I am wrong, but is the away support better this season that back then? It seems this season the fans really have been the 12th man. I'm not saying fans didn't support the team under Bowyer, but I know I was definitely drained from the shit storm that had taken place before he got the job.  

In hindsight, no doubt that squad should have gotten into the play-offs at least. I think Bowyer brought stability though at a time when we could very well have done a Sunderland. That's what I mean by great job. 

Not really, whilst this season has been unique in many ways, there was a lot of optimism back then, them 2 or 3 years saw any dissenting voices take a back seat, he was backed in the transfer market and had a squad more tha capable of at least being a top 6 side.

He often can hide behind the stability umbrella too much, he did bring it initially in terms of settling the ship but after that he definitely underachieved.

That said, on paper has done a good job at Blackpool. So fair play there.

15 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We all know why GB is mooted. This club is in a firefight, they won’t have money to spend and they need someone who has dealt with that! 

• Backroom

From a personal perspective Bowyer overachieved here relative to his overall experience. Unfortunately he underachieved in terms of where we needed to be as a club and with the squad we had. He's done pretty well at Blackpool all things considered. Not sure the Sunderland job would be right for him - particularly with question marks over the new ownership. They are still a big club though, so it'd be a difficult one to turn down.   

If Blackpool didn't have their crappy run around November/December theyd be in with a shout of a play off place, but as happened here, inconsistent. 

Oddly, a second relegation won't have that big of an impact on Sunderland's turnover compared to if they stayed in the Championship as they're due for a £31m parachute payment. If they stayed in the Championship, their broadcast revenue would have been about ~£35m total. It'll only fall to about ~£32m dropping to League One.

Matchday revenue may fall again. It's probably fallen from about £11m in the PL to £7m in the Championship. Maybe down to £5m in League One. Hard to say on commercial revenue, which was £21m a couple years ago in the PL. Maybe it's down to £12m in the Championship. Maybe £8m in League One...?

By those guesstimates, excluding player trading, they were looking at £54m of turnover in the Championship, which maybe drops to~ £45m in League One.

For a sense of scale, it looks like we spent like crazy in League One with a wage budget of maybe £15m, and our turnover was probably about £10-£11m.

(For a further sense of scale, suppose Sunderland bounces right back to the Championship, they'll be due a £16m parachute payment that year, which is roughly equivalent to what Rovers' entire turnover will be in the Championship)

The real shame for Sunderland is the horrendous waste of the parachute payment advantage, which looks like it'll have to go more toward paying off the likes of Rodwell and steamrolling League One for a year rather than splurging like Newcastle or Aston Villa in the Championship.

Archived