BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Darwen End Closure / New Singing Section

With the club seeing fit to once again close a section of Ewood to home fans without consultation, the Darwen End singing section find themselves on the move.  The timing of this has left fans with only social media to organise a new singing section. 

It's a disappointing decision as I cannot see to many away teams bringing 7,000 to Ewood next season. In previous years when relocated section W01 and W02 of the Jack Walker Lower Tier has been identified as the best place to relocate the singing section. There are a good few reasons as to why this is the best place to move the section. 

1. Smaller sections of seats means fans will be more compacted and create a better atmosphere

2. Still close to away fans, many of us enjoy the banter with away fans.

3. Closer to the players and pitch compared to back of the Darwen End lower tier. 

4. Facing the TV cameras means a great location for the Jack Walker Flags and other banners etc.

5. Compared to other sections of the ground easier to get good seats close to each other. (Blackburn End would see fans split up and picking from the lesser seats that haven't already been allocated over the years.

6. Same price as Blackburn End.

7. The Blackburn End  and Riverside already have some noise, the Jack Walker stand badly needs and injection of loud and proud fans with drums and flags etc.

If there are any existing Darwen Enders on BRFCC please tell others abut W01-W02 lets make Jack Proud of the Jack Walker Singing Section.

Jack Walker Singing Section.jpg

• Like 7

Go for it!

Watching the Championship highlights, Bristol City have a corner of Ashton Gate full of singers called ‘Section 152’ or something similar, presumably the block of the ground they’re in. It was full of banners, flags etc. Huddersfield, Boro etc have their own versions.

Maybe something the former Darwen End crew can get going? 

• Like 1

`I wonder why, in this new age of 'connecting with the fanbase', there wasn't any communication from the club?

Apart from a general press release, there still hasn't been any communication between the club and season ticket holders, affected.

Was this an 'initiative' of  Waggott? 

This is the 2nd time in 3 years that a home section of the stadium is to close. Last time, when they decided to boot long standing season ticket holders out of their seats in the BBE Upper and JW Lower to create a new family zone, there was an 'obvious' place for those affected to relocate to. This time there isn't. 

There is ample space in the JW lower for the 500ish Darwen End folk who want to stand, sing and wave flags whilst the existing season ticket holders (myself included) could remain unaffected in their existing seats. 

Unfortunately that isn't how it will work out.

The club enjoys netting off large numbers of seats in the lower tier towards the Darwen End which will be expanded when larger more volatile away followings come. The obvious result especially with larger home crowds vs Preston and Bolton will be that the Darwen Enders end up being pushed into the  more central sections (as has happened numerous times in previous seasons when they have been moved out of the Darwen End). 

The end result could well be upsetting established season ticket holders in that stand who don't want to stand up etc. during games.

9 hours ago, JHRover said:

This is the 2nd time in 3 years that a home section of the stadium is to close. Last time, when they decided to boot long standing season ticket holders out of their seats in the BBE Upper and JW Lower to create a new family zone, there was an 'obvious' place for those affected to relocate to. This time there isn't. 

There is ample space in the JW lower for the 500ish Darwen End folk who want to stand, sing and wave flags whilst the existing season ticket holders (myself included) could remain unaffected in their existing seats. 

Unfortunately that isn't how it will work out.

The club enjoys netting off large numbers of seats in the lower tier towards the Darwen End which will be expanded when larger more volatile away followings come. The obvious result especially with larger home crowds vs Preston and Bolton will be that the Darwen Enders end up being pushed into the  more central sections (as has happened numerous times in previous seasons when they have been moved out of the Darwen End). 

The end result could well be upsetting established season ticket holders in that stand who don't want to stand up etc. during games.

Why do some fans seem to feel they have the right to stand up? Is it because the away fans are doing it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Why do some fans seem to feel they have the right to stand up? Is it because the away fans are doing it?

I think it is more that people think they should have the right to stand up. I agree with that.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, rigger said:

I think it is more that people think they should have the right to stand up. I agree with that.

But not if they then obstruct the view of those unable to stand up or who don't wish to stand.  The club need to identify an area of the ground where people will be free to stand if they so wish so that anyone who buys tickets in that area know in advance that they are likely to be standing. 

One of the issues this season, with the increased numbers travelling to away grounds, has been that children and older folk have been struggling to see matches because everyone stands up.  Although I prefer to sit, I'm fortunate in not having a problem in standing for ninety minutes but there are many, for a variety of reasons, who struggle to view games when everyone stands.  It's an issue that football has ignored for long enough and safe standing areas are long overdue.  Sadly, I don't think any politician will back the necessary change in law that is required.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Why not open up the top tier of the BBE for the singing section...you can stand,wave your flags etc...no problem....ALL singers together in one stand.

that's logic turned on its head.

Why not have away fans in the DE upper, leaving the lower for home fans.

I won't be going in any upper tier.

Edited by barry_

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Because they want the away fans bants!

it isn't (just) about the banter.

When S01 started out, it was because the BBE was sterile (a byproduct of seating)..

The club doesn't have to net over any part of the JWL, it could do that to in DE (if at all).

9 minutes ago, barry_ said:

it isn't (just) about the banter.

When S01 started out, it was because the BBE was sterile (a byproduct of seating)..

The club doesn't have to net over any part of the JWL, it could do that to in DE (if at all).

I know that, yet repeatedly the club has decided to shut off areas in the home ends instead of or as well as areas in the away end. I'll never forget them kicking season ticket holders out of their seats to put netting over areas for when Burnley came to town. Disgraceful.

I'm a JW Lower season ticket holder. I don't want to spend home games stood up, moving seats, having 'banter' with away fans. I want to sit in my seat and watch the game and having had that seat for several years and now being handed a £50 price hike I expect to be able to

A few years ago I was nearer to the Darwen End, when we played Leeds/Preston etc. the Darwen End people were moved into the area where my season ticket was. I arrived ten minutes before kick off and my seat was occupied and the area was stood up throughout the game.

There is sufficient room to allocate the end 2 blocks nearest the Darwen End as a singing section and keep the middle 2 for established season ticket holders. Sadly I can't see that happening as the club will shut the end 2 blocks for most games.

Whatever way it is done it needs to be managed. There needs to be some sort of divide by way of a barrier between blocks to make it clear that the standing/singing area is at one side and non-standing at the other.

Of course one sensible alternative would be to put away fans in the corner of the DE and Riverside, and then whatever segregation is needed can be put in place in the DE at the JW stand corner.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

I agree. Stadia are all seaters and you know that before you go in.

You Don't go to the Cinema and stand up throughout the film with the view that "Because I want to stand up I will do and if anyone behind me doesn't want to or Can't see, **** 'em." But apparently you do at away games and increasingly it seems it's creeping into home games as well.

The same principle applies to the seemingly increasing practice of running on the pitch as well. A completely spontaneous outpouring of emotion immediately after you've won something is absolutely fine. A preplanned notion to invade the pitch a couple of weeks after the event you're celebrating and hold a competition to see who can act like the biggest prat on the pitch regardless of whether it disrupts the officially planned celebrations and therefore annoys the majority is something else entirely imo.

Whilst that is true, a large enough proportion of football supporters, especially away fans, would prefer to stand at football matches, that is clear. A bit of common sense needs to prevail at times, im all for promoting safe standing wherever possible too, hats off to Shrewsbury there.

One of the plus points of the Darwen End was being able to go to the back, unreserved, and stand up. Affecting no one else at all. Everyone sat down usually puts a dampner on the atmosphere, therefore if you can seperate those who want to stand and those who want to sit, I dont see why its an issue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Have a sneaky feeling the Police have had a say in this.Leeds,Stoke,Bolton and Preston much more volatile and greater chance of trouble.

They take the easy option every time at the expense of home supporters.

We'll know if that's the case if they start shunting them to dinner time kick offs again when there are no TV cameras in town. As I far as i'm aware no other clubs to this very often, Preston, Wigan & Bolton regularly play host to over 5k visiting fans without that charade.

39 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We'll know if that's the case if they start shunting them to dinner time kick offs again when there are no TV cameras in town. As I far as i'm aware no other clubs to this very often, Preston, Wigan & Bolton regularly play host to over 5k visiting fans without that charade.

Earlier home times for those who have the power to influence decisions. 3pm kick off means staff at Ewood not getting home until 7pm on a Saturday. Noon kick off = home in time for tea to enjoy the rest of the weekend. In the power vacuum of the last few years it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it boiled down to something as silly as that. Hopefully now we have a CEO such things won't be allowed to happen without very good reason.

Edited by JHRover