BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Homophobia in football

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I prefer to make financial donations to cancer foundations, my Mum having been a victim.

Sorry to hear that. It's a nasty, nasty disease. My 50 year old uncle went from it last year. 

I was just wondering if there would be an issue you would support players raising awareness of by changing their laces. I remember those yellow wrist bands that were a craze a few years ago. So I thought it might be good for player so do that like they did with the rainbow ones 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Sorry to hear that. It's a nasty, nasty disease. My 50 year old uncle went from it last year. 

I was just wondering if there would be an issue you would support players raising awareness of by changing their laces. I remember those yellow wrist bands that were a craze a few years ago. So I thought it might be good for player so do that like they did with the rainbow ones 

I think I would personally be in favour if say it was for a child illness related cause.

Normally though I think that the truly effective way is by financial donation.

Going back to the rainbow laces or whatever the colour or cause is then it must be a personal choice that is allowed to remain personal to respect that persons freedom of choice.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I think I would personally be in favour if say it was for a child illness related cause.

Normally though I think that the truly effective way is by financial donation.

Going back to the rainbow laces or whatever the colour or cause is then it must be a personal choice that is allowed to remain personal to respect that persons freedom of choice.

Of course, but in some instances those refusing to wear them don't respect homosexuals freedom of choice. The African player in the article above being an example. He wouldnt have worn the laces 

I personally don't see why you wouldn't wear them if you wasn't homophobic and like most people want to see the end of discrimination. However I do believe people have a freedom of choice and to not wear them if they so choose without being discriminated against. If I was gay and someone chose not to wear the laces I would be fine with it as long as they aren't throwing dildos at me in the showers

• Backroom

Imo, an active refusal to wear the rainbow laces would be as bad as the Liverpool players supporting racist Suarez.

In any other walk of life, discrimination against a protected characteristic is punished.

Personally think the media has a lot to answer for. They ran a story of a male player having an affair with another male player not long back with what appeared to be an insidious ' we know who you are' tone to it.

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I prefer to make financial donations to cancer foundations, my Mum having been a victim.

Sorry to hear that AllRoverAsia. It got my father almost ten years gone and it's a truly dreadful thing.

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

53 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Imo, an active refusal to wear the rainbow laces would be as bad as the Liverpool players supporting racist Suarez.

In any other walk of life, discrimination against a protected characteristic is punished.

Personally think the media has a lot to answer for. They ran a story of a male player having an affair with another male player not long back with what appeared to be an insidious ' we know who you are' tone to it.

And yet I have never heard of any player not wearing a Kick it Out tee shirt on the designated days. If a spectator racially or homophobically abused a player from the terraces as well as a prosecution they would get a banning order, probably life. But when John Terry racially abuses Anton Ferdinand on the pitch he gets a four match ban and a fine which amounted to a few weeks wages. Despite the FA, PL, PFA and clubs continually harping on they pay lip service to it when it's one of their own.

I prefer to discriminate on ability. They can be black, blue, purple, gay, straight, or like animals. As long as they can play who cares?

For example Nathan Blake got the bird. Not because he was black but because he was shit ?

51 minutes ago, arbitro said:

And yet I have never heard of any player not wearing a Kick it Out tee shirt on the designated days. If a spectator racially or homophobically abused a player from the terraces as well as a prosecution they would get a banning order, probably life. But when John Terry racially abuses Anton Ferdinand on the pitch he gets a four match ban and a fine which amounted to a few weeks wages. Despite the FA, PL, PFA and clubs continually harping on they pay lip service to it when it's one of their own.

And their in lies the problem

Racism, homophobia and sexism are rife in football as well as society. Pathetic. You should judge someone on how they are as a person and for no other reason. I have absolutely zero time for it or the standard “you can’t say anything these days, it’s PC gone mad” mask that these cowards hide behind. You can say what you want just expect to be called a dickhead when you’re behaving like one.

While we’re on the subject few of the peoole who sit in the Darwen end ought to have a look at themselves over the chanting towards Brighton fans last season. You can say it was “banter” but it wasn’t even funny, just made you seem a bit thick. 

• Backroom
13 hours ago, Garage Flower said:

Racism, homophobia and sexism are rife in football as well as society. Pathetic. You should judge someone on how they are as a person and for no other reason. I have absolutely zero time for it or the standard “you can’t say anything these days, it’s PC gone mad” mask that these cowards hide behind. You can say what you want just expect to be called a dickhead when you’re behaving like one.

While we’re on the subject few of the peoole who sit in the Darwen end ought to have a look at themselves over the chanting towards Brighton fans last season. You can say it was “banter” but it wasn’t even funny, just made you seem a bit thick. 

I'll keep that in my pocket for the next debate.

14 hours ago, Garage Flower said:

You can say what you want just expect to be called a dickhead when you’re behaving like one.

Indeed, a nice modern update of the ‘I disapprove of what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it’.

Let’s hope even in these hyper-tense times we maintain that ideal.

On 18/05/2018 at 14:50, arbitro said:

In fact Le Saux's only ' crime' was not fitting into the stereotypical world created by footballers because he was different. He read The Guardian rather than the boys magazines and didn't go on the night's out.

It's such an insular world a lot of them live in.

I don't think Rovers fans ever really warmed to him at any point either. This prior to the manner of his departure as well. Like with Sherwood it's probably because he was Southern. I've never understood those who mock people of higher intelligence. That said I can't understand why anyone of high intelligence would want to read the Guardian. 

Justin Fashanu has to be the saddest example. His Brother has to be up there with the Walker Family when it comes to being a lousy relative.

Archived